Favorite Film and TV Characters

Smitty-48

Re: Favorite Film and TV Characters

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:31 am
Seinfeld was at the heart of the 90s...
I was peak army then. Didn't watch much tv. On my off time, I was either partying, or sleeping.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 am

The characters were excellent. I have a hard time picking which would be my favorite.
The bizarre nature of Kramer as the crazy neighbor, Seinfeld's woman of the week, or George.

George was hilarious in his complete lack of empathy for man. When George discovered all his instincts were wrong and if he did the complete opposite he'd have success was brilliant.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 am

Yeah, I was on the flight line fixing jets all night. Had to watch those shows on DVD.

For me the heart of the 90s were X-Files and Outer Limits, since I usually could get off the flight line early on Friday nights due to the fact that I would have to be back Saturday morning for weekend duty three weekends per month.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 am

For all you The Wire fans, David Simon and Ed Burns are back.
JERSEY CITY — A six-part HBO miniseries based on Philip Roth’s “The Plot Against America” is scheduled to film along Martin Luther King Drive in Jersey City in upcoming weeks.

The show is being written and executive produced by David Simon and Ed Burns, who partnered on the acclaimed HBO series “The Wire.”

The 2004 book from Roth, a Newark native, depicts an alternate history where Charles Lindbergh defeats Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1940 presidential election and then signs a treaty with Nazi Germany. The story follows a New Jersey family as it deals with anti-Semitism that spreads across the nation.
Funny part is, you can guess what part of town MLK Drive is! It's like Bed-Sty in the 80's, 90% of the JC shootings are around there.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:24 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 am
The characters were excellent. I have a hard time picking which would be my favorite.
The bizarre nature of Kramer as the crazy neighbor, Seinfeld's woman of the week, or George.

George was hilarious in his complete lack of empathy for man. When George discovered all his instincts were wrong and if he did the complete opposite he'd have success was brilliant.
My favorite characters were George's parents.
Especially his father.

Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Seinfeld definitely has some funny bits, I just never get the urge to sit through a half hour of it at a time.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 pm

For me, memories of Seinfeld were more like seeing it on the television in the AMU when I came in to fill out some paperwork. I spent most of the time out on the flight line or on the avionics truck, so I didn't watch it live on television. I had to watch it later on DVD when they came out.

But the pivotal television that I usually did get to see was X-Files. Every Friday night the barracks day room was filled with airmen who had to get their X-Files and Outer Limits fix. So for lots of people, X-Files was something they watched at home alone or maybe with a few family members. For me, it was a huge event where we all shared thoughts on various paranormal events. At least five or six each night, just in one day room on one floor of a single barracks.

That, for me, is the 90s. That and working in a fighter squadron, pub crawling in Boise, camping in the wilderness, etc.

Did I mention I miss the 90s like a God damned motherfucker?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm

I think I missed the 90's. Gym, tan, laundry, and the 21 steps of battle procedure. Getting laid. Getting in brawls. What else happened?
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm

I think the 90s were arguably the happiest decade in American history. It was when the most prosperity was most widely distributed. The Soviet threat was gone. Terrorism was not really a threat to CONUS yet, but obviously a threat to us overseas since the bastards just blew up our barracks in Riyadh and injured some friends. Still, in CONUS itself.. life was really, really good for a lot of people.

I do remember summer of 1999 when I was working at a Fortune 500 corp for the summer while getting my bachelor's degree, I would see this propaganda on the cafeteria television about how free trade was great and opening up factories in China was really going to be good for us. I knew then it was the beginning of the end. I remember telling my wife how fucking retarded people were for believing that shit. Always was a Perot man.

Then Dubya somehow won that election and that's really when shit went off the rails. As much of a massive faggot Gore is, I don't think we'd be in this deep state shit hole we find ourselves in today. 9-11 most likely would have been foiled. No Iraq War. No ISIS. Probably no national debt either, since we were on track to be debt-free by 2012. Remember when the lugenpresse was publishing articles about how the budget was a bad thing because debt was good? I do.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm

I miss the late seventies to the early eighties, that was the best of times, free reign, no Temperance Lady.
Nec Aspera Terrent