Apollo

Martin Hash

Apollo

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 am

Moon Landing Footprint.png
The single word from my childhood that conjures feelings of mystery, excitement & opportunity is “Apollo.” From scary Apollo 1 that killed all its astronauts, to the epitome of Apollo 11, a picture of a space boot in the lunar dust. Though my childhood interest in every Apollo space flight thereafter remained strong, those memories were not enduring into my adulthood, and all fade after Apollo 13, the failed mission, but the word never lost its number one place in my imagination.

I can remember in the summer after Sixth grade laying on the shag carpet in living room of our house in San Diego, recording on a cassette tape every second of the moon landing. I've never listened to the tape, I'm not even sure if it recorded, but that's part of the magic that I still possess, and when I look at it, the memories come flooding back.
Moon Landing Cassette.JPG
Soon thereafter, my grandmother took me to the airport to fly to Moab, Utah to spend a month with my other grandparents. Grandma always bought me whatever book I wanted, and I saw a “Look” magazine on the rack at the airport gift store with the famous picture of Neil Armstrong just stepping onto the moon, where he made the statement “one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” I kept that too, and put it in my Apollo shrine along with the First Day Issue Apollo Moon Landing stamp my grandmother also got me.
Moon Landing Look Magazine.jpg
I built & painted the lunar lander model grandma bought me, and meticulously drew pictures of the Command module. Also, Apollo 12 featured Charlie Brown & Snoopy as the mission mascots, which made it all the more special since “Peanuts” were my favorite books, I almost worshiped the comic strip, especially during those days. It was the best combination of formative events ever for this preteen boy. I still have the t-shirt.
Apollo T-Shirt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Apollo

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 am

Definitely a high point in human civilization. I still get chills watching videos of the launches and landings. Amazing stuff.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Matt Campbell

Post by Matt Campbell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 am

I was 5 years old. My father was very excited as we watched the moon walk, and the whole family went out into the driveway to gaze at the moon as Dad gleamed 'there is a man up there- it is a new world!' Then- unceremoniously... BEDTIME!

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed May 23, 2018 6:11 pm

I saw an article recently that said some people did an analysis of the moon landing recording, and the [a] so many people put in was actually there. Armstrong's accent blended it into 'for' so it doesn't sound like it to the ear, but he didn't quite make the grammar gaffe every fifth grader realizes he seemed to.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 23, 2018 6:45 pm

I just read that the Moon's soil is actually toxic to human flesh. As in.. probably not a great place to colonize unless you can keep the soil completely outside of the habitat.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:45 pm
I just read that the Moon's soil is actually toxic to human flesh. As in.. probably not a great place to colonize unless you can keep the soil completely outside of the habitat.
The astronauts tracked some inside of the lander, after the first EVA. They said it stank like old shoes. :)

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 23, 2018 7:38 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm
The astronauts tracked some inside of the lander, after the first EVA. They said it stank like old shoes. :)
It actually started destroying flesh.
In space, they say, no one can hear you sneeze. But Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt was doing a lot of that inside the Challenger command module when he visited the moon in 1972.

One day, after a lunar walk, Schmitt accidentally breathed in some of the abundant moon dust that he and his commander had tracked back in to the Challenger living quarters. For a full day, Schmitt suffered from what he described as "lunar hay fever." His eyes watered, his throat throbbed, and he broke into a sneezing fit.

No, Schmitt wasn't allergic to the moon. NASA scientists now understand that pieces of moon dust — especially the smallest, sharpest particles — pose clear health risks to astronauts. A recent study published in the April issue of the journal GeoHealth examined exactly how dangerous that dust can be on a cellular level — and the results are as ominous as the dark side of the moon. In several lab tests, a single scoop of replica moon dust proved toxic enough to kill up to 90 percent of the lung and brain cells exposed to it.
https://www.livescience.com/62590-moon- ... brain.html

nope nope nope.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed May 23, 2018 7:54 pm

The Time Odyssey trilogy addressed that. Clarke detailed how the space suits docked to the outside of the habitats and vehicles so the outside of the suits never came inside the vessels, and the astronauts never came in contact with anything that had been outside.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed May 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Wed May 23, 2018 7:38 pm
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm
It actually started destroying flesh.
In space, they say, no one can hear you sneeze. But Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt was doing a lot of that inside the Challenger command module when he visited the moon in 1972.

One day, after a lunar walk, Schmitt accidentally breathed in some of the abundant moon dust that he and his commander had tracked back in to the Challenger living quarters. For a full day, Schmitt suffered from what he described as "lunar hay fever." His eyes watered, his throat throbbed, and he broke into a sneezing fit.

No, Schmitt wasn't allergic to the moon. NASA scientists now understand that pieces of moon dust — especially the smallest, sharpest particles — pose clear health risks to astronauts. A recent study published in the April issue of the journal GeoHealth examined exactly how dangerous that dust can be on a cellular level — and the results are as ominous as the dark side of the moon. In several lab tests, a single scoop of replica moon dust proved toxic enough to kill up to 90 percent of the lung and brain cells exposed to it.
https://www.livescience.com/62590-moon- ... brain.html

nope nope nope.
That's not the same thing as "flesh eating". You simply can't inhale it, same as talc powder, or any other fine material.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 23, 2018 8:11 pm

It destroys human flesh, dude.