Game of Thrones - mostly

DrYouth

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:08 pm
Just watched it last night. Duh!! I guess DnD weren't readers of History like Martin. The "vote for the next king" thing is going to be a fucking disaster. it would either go to the strongest warlord or the Littlefinger of the moment. The worst wars ever were ones where succession was unclear. Succession was about the only thing Westeros had right until the Warlady Cersei declared herself Queen by nothing more than force of arms.

I vote for a spin-off where Arya goes all like Caine in Kung Fu, wandering the world kicking ass and taking names, umm, I mean faces.

There is this unanswered question: what stud is going to emerge and knock up Sansa to create the next litter of Starks? The only candidate seemed to be Ser Podrick Payne, whose bedroom talents Sansa karmically deserves. But he's out of the running now that he has joined the kings guard. Another loose thread: Tyrion is still free to take another wife and continue House Lannister.
Yep... bad plan... monarchy without the benefit of clear secession.... bad juju.
But most viewers aren't politically savvy enough to get that.
I did love the democracy bit... that was hilarious... so I guess I have to be satisfied with that.

Arya will be the cruellest conquerer of all... that girl is a menace.

Sansa is not going to be easy to impregnate... she is currently an Ice Queen.... I'm not sure who's going to be able to warm her up.

Tyrion as head of House Lannister that has interesting spin off potential... :lol:
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue May 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Uhmm... monarchies without clear line of succession survived quite well, historically. They were really quite common, in fact. This idea that "without a clear line of succesion" chaos reigns...? Uhmm, that clear line of succession is determined by the nobles.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue May 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Apparently these people never heard of Venice. Where's Nergol when you need him?

If Nergol watches GoT, he's pumped about that Game of Venice ending where Bran gets elected Doge of the Six Kingdoms, that I can tell you.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm

From the Wiki page on "Elective Monarchy".
Many, if not most, kingdoms were officially elective historically, though the candidates were typically only from the family of the deceased monarch. Eventually, however, most elected monarchies introduced hereditary succession, guaranteeing that the title and office stayed within the royal family and specifying, more or less precisely, the order of succession.

Today, almost all monarchies are hereditary monarchies in which the monarchs come from one royal family with the office of sovereign being passed from one family member to another upon the death or abdication of the incumbent.
For some reason the elective monarchy has not played out over the course of time...
Seems Monarchies lean to hereditary succession... probably for a reason.

But the page also lists exceptions to this... so I'm guessing you are thinking of those exceptions.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Venice lasted a long time, over 1000 years. Longer than most hereditary monarchies.

At some point someone with a lot of military muscle will put an end to it, like Napoleon did, but until that time it's perfectly viable.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 pm

BjornP wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:02 pm
Uhmm... monarchies without clear line of succession survived quite well, historically. They were really quite common, in fact. This idea that "without a clear line of succesion" chaos reigns...? Uhmm, that clear line of succession is determined by the nobles.
Yet again you just displayed your own ignorance out in the open you miserable son of a bitch. Ever watch Battlestar Galactica? Remember the Wars of Cylcon succession when a clear heir wasnt named after Cylcos IV? It didn't end well for them which you'd know if you ever had a thought in that thick fucking skull of yours.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm

BSG's ending sucked, some of it was pretty good, but the bad parts in the final episode ruined what could have been a really good ending. Still a great show, but could have been so much better if they didn't screw up the ending.

But at least they didn't piss away three seasons setting up a solid final season with a decent ending instead, BSG was far more consistent than GoT, that's for damn sure.
*yip*

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue May 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 pm
I vote for Battlestar Galactica tie-ins, and this time we finally see Starbuck's breasts.
Here you go, spank away!!

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 21, 2019 2:32 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:54 pm
Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 pm
I vote for Battlestar Galactica tie-ins, and this time we finally see Starbuck's breasts.
Here you go, spank away!!

I told you this GoT will turn you gay. Sad.

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue May 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Tue May 21, 2019 2:32 pm
I told you this GoT will turn you gay. Sad.
Not me!! I was the one who showed you all the lovely tits there, and you asked for starbucks tits without specifying which version. I figured it was some nostalgia for your youthful sexual uncertainty.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND