Public School Education System Thread

The Conservative

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by The Conservative » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 am

Hastur wrote:I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America has been mentioned yet.

Take the plunge.

We talk about this almost every day here... we call them Millennials.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 am

Time to shut this farce down for good.

http://www.ibtimes.com/teacher-arrested ... ng-2639118

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am

"How dare you question me looting the public funds. Go to the rape cage!"
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 am

Her getting arrested for speaking at the public hearing by a migrant in a police costume was a really great touch.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 am

Apropos of this thread and the one where some are defending government unions this morning:

RealClear Investigations:

When School-Voucher Foes Called in the Feds ... and Called the Shots
It was a prolonged mystery that struck Wisconsin education reformers as more akin to a Kafka novel than American due process: Who was behind cryptic demand letters sent under the aegis of the Obama Justice Department, intimating without specific evidence that Milwaukee’s school-choice program was illegally discriminating against disabled kids?

Now, after a six-year bureaucratic and legal tangle in which school voucher advocates said they were stonewalled by Washington, the mystery has been solved. And the answer, they say, is alarming: The federal operation was sparked and practically run behind the scenes by liberal opponents of the program.

Documents released in December through litigation by school-choice advocates showed that lawyers with the American Civil Liberties Union and Disability Rights Wisconsin had prodded federal prosecutors to go after the program, which enables low- and moderate-income Milwaukee parents to use taxpayer-funded vouchers to send their children to private schools. Nearly 30,000 students participate in the program.

According to the documents, the liberal groups opposing vouchers coordinated media strategy with the feds and submitted questions that Justice turned around and posed nearly verbatim to Wisconsin education officials. In addition to suggesting that the program was violating the Americans with Disabilities Act by denying access to disabled kids, the groups promised to drum up additional complaints. Their efforts appear to be why Justice kept the inquiry open for four years even though federal and state officials asserted from the start that, even if the unproven charges were true, they were not legally empowered to remedy them in private schools.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Trump Completes Massive Roll Back of Obama Era Policy
President Trump signed an executive order to start pulling the federal government out of K-12 education, following through on a campaign promise to return school control to state and local officials.
https://thepoliticalinsider.com/trump-c ... roll-back/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:33 pm

C-Mag wrote:Trump Completes Massive Roll Back of Obama Era Policy
President Trump signed an executive order to start pulling the federal government out of K-12 education, following through on a campaign promise to return school control to state and local officials.
https://thepoliticalinsider.com/trump-c ... roll-back/
I don’t think ‘Matt’, the author of that piece, read the study he cited, I mean, hyperlinked to.

Matt’s opening paragraph in article, “In K-12 education, the cost burden is shared about equally between the Federal government, and State and local governments.”

See figure 2 from study
https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-bud ... ol-funding
Hontar: We must work in the world, your eminence. The world is thus.

Altamirano: No, Señor Hontar. Thus have we made the world... thus have I made it.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks! Actually after reading the link its even more incredible that the Federal government has so much control over public schools with less than 10% of the funding.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm

C-Mag wrote:Thanks! Actually after reading the link its even more incredible that the Federal government has so much control over public schools with less than 10% of the funding.
What control are you referring to as ‘too much’? Most control rests with the states and local ISDs.

Primary federal statutes that affect k-12 schools are:
42 USC § 1981, 42 USC § 1983, Title VI of 1964 Civil Roghts Act, Title VII of the same, the ADEA of 1967, ADA of 1990, IDEA, Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendment, NCLB, as well as the Equal Access Act and the Buckley Amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Then there’s the ESSA https://www.ed.gov/essa?src=rn which was an update of NCLB. I think that’s the one that most people get their panties in a wad about.

Anyway, I stopped reading ‘Matt’s’ article when it was clear he couldn’t read a pie chart.
Hontar: We must work in the world, your eminence. The world is thus.

Altamirano: No, Señor Hontar. Thus have we made the world... thus have I made it.