THE ERA OF TRUMP

Speaker to Animals

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:19 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12 am

Universities, especially in America, no longer serve any good purpose. They are just credentials factories, and we are in a credentials boom. What matters is what you know and can do, and unless you want to check in to the corporate system, there is no point to universities.
What about invaluable services coming out of places like the University of Washington? Things like this?

You don’t find that to be serving a useful purpose?
:twisted:
Odds are, the lying democrats who run that.site will just delete posts about females. Strange pattern amongst our democrat friends.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 am
I’m hoping Dems lose BIG because Marxism. This country NEEDS both Parties, but no Marxists.
The problem is we need the fakes of both parties to loose as well.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:07 am

Hmmmm ... the internet serving as the informational tool that frees people from the shackles of Marxist dogma.
:think:

I like it. I hope it’s true. It would certainly explain the irrational response big tech and politicos have to “Fake News”.
OMG OMG Someone must save the masses from WRONGTHINK!!!

You may be on to something there. Sure glad net neutrality is dead so the politicos and big tech can’t keep a lock on the internet.
;)
Trying to lock down the internet is Kathy Janeway calling Red Alert because she's panicking.

I don't know what higher ed is going to look like in 2070, but it's not going to be the bastardized 19th C model we are working with today. On Line courses are taking over the traditional University. In 2 more generations not that many are going to go sit in Lecture Halls of Indocternation. When the course material is on line there will much less political influence on young minds.

Something/Someones in the Free Market is going to come along and set up an efficient model that will destroy most of the corporate University Ed of today.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

I already do my continuing education work by getting online certs from reputable universities. It’s a fairly common practice in the tech industry. Expensive, but I find the additional income and/or job security worth the investment.

I don’t know if it would work well for other industries, but one can have a successful tech career with zero college degrees and a lot of professional certain. Consider the following two candidates going for a network admin job:

Candidate 1: BS in Computer Science from state university.

Candidate 2: CISCO certified (CCNO, CCIE), Compton network+ and security+ certified, MCSA on Windows Server, high school graduate.

One is clearly going to be a better network admin. You can do this with a lot of the jobs in the tech sector, so I foresee a trend of moving away from degrees and toward role-specific certs.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am

IT is different.

In the software engineering world, if your resume has that cert shit on there, it gets tossed immediately. We will look at your education background if you are new, but it's your experience that actually matters. In the interview you have to demonstrate that you know your shit. We actually test people in interviews.

Doing the classes helps you learn, though. But most corporations have their own programs for teaching you shit for free.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am
I already do my continuing education work by getting online certs from reputable universities. It’s a fairly common practice in the tech industry. Expensive, but I find the additional income and/or job security worth the investment.

I don’t know if it would work well for other industries, but one can have a successful tech career with zero college degrees and a lot of professional certain. Consider the following two candidates going for a network admin job:

Candidate 1: BS in Computer Science from state university.

Candidate 2: CISCO certified (CCNO, CCIE), Compton network+ and security+ certified, MCSA on Windows Server, high school graduate.

One is clearly going to be a better network admin. You can do this with a lot of the jobs in the tech sector, so I foresee a trend of moving away from degrees and toward role-specific certs.
Is there any coding? CS wins.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:56 am

There are coding cert schools now too ... but why get into coding at this point? You really want college-degree debt for a job where you’re going to be competing with H1B-visa Indians and Pakistanis? Guys with doctorates in CS who will code for 70% of your wage?

Why?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:56 am
There are coding cert schools now too ... but why get into coding at this point? You really want college-degree debt for a job where you’re going to be competing with H1B-visa Indians and Pakistanis? Guys with doctorates in CS who will code for 70% of your wage?

Why?
You have to go upstream. For software engineering, that means getting at least a master's degree if not a PhD to move towards research divisions at various corporations. Once you get on the ground floor as an entry-level software engineer, you have to start your graduate education. Figure out which direction to go. For me that was software architecture, but other directions would be project management and possibly process engineering.

Software architecture and systems engineering is the higher-level design and engineering that happens in the development of something like a wireless network. That's not getting outsourced. That's core business.

Because of the culture of computer science and software engineering, you definitely do not want to advertise certifications like you would in the IT world. Unless it is applicable to the job you want to get into, and your primary experience in that domain is that certificate program, anyway. But that's not the typical corporate cert but, rather, some university program.

All the important work is at very high-levels, and it takes many years to become competent at that. It's not an easy career choice and it won't pay off right away. But when you do get up there, the pay off is pretty huge.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 am
Software architecture and systems engineering is the higher-level design and engineering that happens in the development of something like a wireless network. That's not getting outsourced. That's core business.
Iunno man, the critical hardware is definitely being outsourced. Why not the software?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:10 am

I wouldn't recommend anybody get a CS; too hard, pay's not high enough. Engineers are little better off.

If you really want to make money, become a real estate agent.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change