The internet takeover thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: The internet takeover thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm
According to BroadbandNow, there are currently 2,566 internet providers in the United States. Of their list, 1,230 specifically provide wired connections, and only a handful have complete coverage across the entirety of the United States. Furthermore, a number of companies on their list are subsidiaries of the larger companies that most consumers have heard of, like AT&T or Comcast. It’s even hard to get a sense of how much cable there is—a four-year research study by the University of Wisconsin estimated that the United States has 113,000 miles of long-haul fiber, but that doesn’t even begin to factor in the miles of old coaxial and copper that remain the primary internet connection for many homes across America.

https://qz.com/790210/tracing-the-byzan ... -internet/
You don't understand what you are talking about. I am talking about tier 1 here.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:56 pm
Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:53 pm
Comcast can't print money.

Comcast has competitors.

Comcast has shareholders.

Comcast has a profit motive.
Comcast has no competitors. They have a sectioned area of the country, in which to do business. You will never have the choice between Comcast and another cable provider.

Don't even mention Dish/DirecTV - their internet service is comparable to dial-up.
:roll:

Complete bullshit. Absolute, 100%, horseshit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:53 pm
Comcast can't print money.

Comcast has competitors.

Comcast has shareholders.

Comcast has a profit motive.
Comcast has no competitors. They have a sectioned area of the country, in which to do business. You will never have the choice between Comcast and another cable provider.

Don't even mention Dish/DirecTV - their internet service is comparable to dial-up.

You're right. The guys that actually work in tech are wrong. It works exactly the way you think it does. Good job exposing me as a liar.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

ISPs available in Atlanta,

https://providersbyzip.com/ga/30316

Notice Comcast doesn't have a special monopoly for their little section of territory, as flounder claims.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm
Okeefenokee wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

You're right. The guys that actually work in tech are wrong. It works exactly the way you think it does. Good job exposing me as a liar.
Yes, you are a liar. Look up one post.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

Ok, I'll break it down for you in terms that you can understand.

Think about your power company. You have the option to 'purchase power' from a number of different outfits at very similar rates. Theoretically, there is some form of 'competition' for your business, right?

Yet, every one of those "options" is going to transmit the same thing to your house through the same wires. Those wires are owned by whatever power conglomerate controls your region. That's why the prices are so similar. They all have to pay off the conglomerate.

You have a choice between billing companies for the exact same resource.

The Tier 1 companies that own the backbone host all internet traffic. All of it. It doesn't matter if you're paying Comcast, AT&T, or somebody else, you're using the same wires, and the fees go to the same place.

Now notice that I said "cable provider". There is only 1 cable provider on that list. Because they own the cables.

Now, unlike with electricity, you do have 2 other alternatives from coax - DSL and Satellite. Both are incredibly limited, compared to cable in most areas - everywhere in the case of Satellite internet.

You have exactly ONE option to get cable television and internet together. That is not an accident.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 pm

You're a couple of decades behind the curve.

Competing providers are laying their own fiber everyday, as we speak.

I suppose next you're going to try to tell me that all of the mobile providers all route their traffic through the same towers.

You can drop the expertise act. It's clear you're talking out of your ass.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Correction, you're talking out of 1996's ass.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:32 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:12 pm
Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Ok, I'll break it down for you in terms that you can understand.

Think about your power company. You have the option to 'purchase power' from a number of different outfits at very similar rates. Theoretically, there is some form of 'competition' for your business, right?

Yet, every one of those "options" is going to transmit the same thing to your house through the same wires. Those wires are owned by whatever power conglomerate controls your region. That's why the prices are so similar. They all have to pay off the conglomerate.

You have a choice between billing companies for the exact same resource.

The Tier 1 companies that own the backbone host all internet traffic. All of it. It doesn't matter if you're paying Comcast, AT&T, or somebody else, you're using the same wires, and the fees go to the same place.

Now notice that I said "cable provider". There is only 1 cable provider on that list. Because they own the cables.

Now, unlike with electricity, you do have 2 other alternatives from coax - DSL and Satellite. Both are incredibly limited, compared to cable in most areas - everywhere in the case of Satellite internet.

You have exactly ONE option to get cable television and internet together. That is not an accident.
If memory serves me DirectTVs satellite internet is satellite for downlink only - you don't own a satellite band transmitter (much less one strong enough to be detected by the satellite). They rely on your local wired infrastructure for "upstream", so still you only technically have two... Copper phone wires or cable.

So where I am it's Frontier (bought from SBC) for the old phone line copper infrastructure and Comcast for cable based infrastructure. Sure, there's a bunch of "3rd party" providers, like there's one many gamers prefer because their peering (whatever that is) is lower latency - but still, those vendors rely on Frontier or Comcast for the (commonly referred to as) "last mile" connectivity. It's a duopoly, you have no other choices for last mile wiring to your home.

Even if I could afford something like a T3/OC3 to my house from say AT&T, the last mile wiring would be done by and maintained by Frontier, the AT&T connection would be peered into Frontier's datacenter 40miles from my house.
Last edited by Ph64 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Mozilla / Firefox goes all in for EVIL… pushes corporate news collusion to silence independent media

Remember the day you found out Google was steeped in pure evil? So you sought out a different browser to escape the evil overlords that run Chrome.

Many of us sought out Firefox from Mozilla, an organization with a strong history supporting free speech and open access to information.

But now Mozilla has joined the dark side. They’re jumping in bed with pure evil, pushing an “Information Trust Initiative” that would block independent media sources at the browser level while favoring corporate media giants like CNN, a cesspool of deliberately fake news.

Surprised? You shouldn’t be. The Mozilla Foundation also pushed for so-called “net neutrality,” a total sham agenda that the tech giants was crucial to make sure you would never be blocked from the information sources you wanted to visit. But today, it’s abundantly clear that tech giants simply de-platform anyone they want, instantly blocking that channel from all users, all while making a mockery of their “net neutrality” plea.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-08-15- ... media.html#