Investment

Smitty-48

Re: Investment

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:10 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:03 pm
How / why is gold being kept so low - another 1T+ bill just got through Congress - how has gold not exploded?

How long was Rome able to do this before SHTF?
information is the most valuable commodity now

currency is just currency, you don't invest in gold, it's simply a hedge
Nec Aspera Terrent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:11 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:10 pm
Zlaxer wrote:
How / why is gold being kept so low - another 1T+ bill just got through Congress - how has gold not exploded?

it's simply a hedge
Hedges have to rise when what they hedge against happens - gold is hedge against inflation - we have a fuckton of inflation, yet gold goes down?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:12 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:11 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:10 pm
Zlaxer wrote:

it's simply a hedge
Hedges have to rise when what they hedge against happens - gold is hedge against inflation - we have a fuckton of inflation, yet gold goes down?
gold is a hedge against severe inflation, like if the shit hits the fan

but it's not there yet, this is just spot inflation so far
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:05 am

see, inflation right now is 5.4%

that's not severe inflation, that's just inflation

for perspective, back in 1981 inflation was 13%
Nec Aspera Terrent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:05 am

Where you getting 5.4%? Uncle Sam? Do you really believe average inflation is 5.4%? Used cars up something like 40% this year alone - houses up 20-30% this year alone...meat prices up 10-15% and feed costs are up even more. I mean, I guess we're not feeling the full force of it yet, but markets are supposed to lead - IMHO - high inflation is here and gold moved down - how? rather, why? doesn't make sense unless average investor thinks they can shelter in place (stocks)...is this what people are planning on? rising stocks? why have they flocked to gold in the past but now shy away?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Where you getting 5.4%? Uncle Sam? Do you really believe average inflation is 5.4%? Used cars up something like 40% this year alone - houses up 20-30% this year alone...meat prices up 10-15% and feed costs are up even more. I mean, I guess we're not feeling the full force of it yet, but markets are supposed to lead - IMHO - high inflation is here and gold moved down - how? rather, why? doesn't make sense unless average investor thinks they can shelter in place (stocks)...is this what people are planning on? rising stocks? why have they flocked to gold in the past but now shy away?
okay, well, you know best, if you want to buy gold, knock yourself out

just don't expect returns on investment, that's not what gold is for

if you want returns you have to take more risk

but if you just want to park in gold as a hedge, so be it, it's just another form of currency
Nec Aspera Terrent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:11 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Zlaxer wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

but if you just want to park in gold as a hedge, so be it, it's just another form of currency

Still a little confused here - we agree gold is a hedge against inflation - we agree gold is not an "investment" in the traditional sense (it doesn't generate wealth) - so I am not sure why you felt the need to make your above statement.

I see inflation all around, yet gold goes down - why this? that's my question. you said it's only 5.4% - what are you basing that on?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:11 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Zlaxer wrote:

Still a little confused here - we agree gold is a hedge against inflation - we agree gold is not an "investment" in the traditional sense (it doesn't generate wealth) - so I am not sure why you felt the need to make your above statement.

I see inflation all around, yet gold goes down - why this? that's my question. you said it's only 5.4% - what are you basing that on?
I just don't want to argue, so I simply decline to, I dgaf enough to provide sources, waste of my time

investment is about making your own choices, there are no experts, you have to decide for yourself
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:39 am

We're getting up there.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:27 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:39 am
We're getting up there.
well it's all relative

so my Canadian dollars for instance are becoming more valuable as the US dollar falls

so for imported goods from America, prices have not been rising

at the same time, the pandemic has been imposing costs, that's the main driver of increases

but for example there was a sharp rise in the price of lumber

but that was actually supply and demand, limited supply of Canadian lumber

then the Canadian mills went to work, produced more lumber, and the price has dropped again

there is no clear sign that this is sustained high inflationary environment, it seems rather situational

but like piling into gold right now, in fear of some sort of inflation crisis ?

that's not a sound strategy, which is why gold is the price it is, the market is not piling into gold

making bets on gold is not a sound strategy, that's trying to time the market, fool's errand
Nec Aspera Terrent