Stocism

Fife

Re: Stocism

Post by Fife » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Stoicism involves seeking out pain now?

Does the new version include seeking out pleasure also?

Sounds like druggie stuff to me. <chews lemon peel>

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Sounds like druggie stuff to me. <chews lemon pill>
the definition is a person who can endure pain or hardship without complaint nor signs of emotion

I find it to be situational

I am a hedonist in general

but I will go stoic on the drop of a hat, in the event of combat or emergency

thus I don't consider myself to be stoic, other than by indoctrinated compartmentalization in extremis
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm

Or, a hedonist with a high pain threshold.

Nothing wrong with living at the extremes, out on the edge is where everything new is made. (Philosophical) stoics might get a glimpse of something or other, through a glass darkly, but they ain't splitting the atom.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm
Or, a hedonist with a high pain threshold.

Nothing wrong with living at the extremes, out on the edge is where everything new is made. (Philosophical) stoics might get a glimpse of something or other, through a glass darkly, but they ain't splitting the atom.
the higher the stakes, the more stoic I get

I'm not that stoic about bad customer service, being stuck in traffic, nor having to suffer fools

but in the event of contact, I become the quietest killer in the tall grass, like a switch being thrown
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:12 pm
But did you win the tickets?
I came in 4th of 100+. Never quit, got knocked out because my hand was numb, and I made a fist. They ruled me out at 4am, and I bawled like a baby for a few minutes. My dad was there, took me home, and I slept for about 24 hours.

He ended up buying tickets and took me to the game. We watched Devin Hester run back the opening kickoff, and saw Prince blow the roof off at halftime. One of the highlights of my life.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm
doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:12 pm
But did you win the tickets?
I came in 4th of 100+. Never quit, got knocked out because my hand was numb, and I made a fist. They ruled me out at 4am, and I bawled like a baby for a few minutes. My dad was there, took me home, and I slept for about 24 hours.

He ended up buying tickets and took me to the game. We watched Devin Hester run back the opening kickoff, and saw Prince blow the roof off at halftime. One of the highlights of my life.
That’s a fuckin’ cool story.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 am

Fife wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Sounds like druggie stuff to me. <chews lemon peel>
+1

Hardest hurdle in stoicism is selecting virtue, even if it means pain, and mastering ones own compulsions. Be they money, sex, drugs, sloth, etc.
Last edited by C-Mag on Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am

let he who is without sin cast the first stone . . .
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am
IMHNSO, the first step is recognizing we are all human, have faults and failures. Personal little demons. I fail all the time with this shit. I like whiskey too much. I love having a drink before bed or when talking will buddies. I need to moderate more. I have the willpower, but too often to not apply it.

When I decide too, I'll just quit drinking for a month or two, apply more discipline to my fitness routine, read more and push the internet dopamine addiction off. A good stoic would keep it in balance at all times I would think. But I go up and down, usually with one thing I'm focusing on. For me it's usually some project at home. I'll be focused on it, and let other things slip. I'll be disciplined in one area, but not so in others. For me it's a constant battle.

Stoicism is a philosophy, so I guess folks can interpret it like they want. Some say Jordan 'Red Skull' Peterson's 12 Rules are Stoicsim, others say not. To me, a fair modern approximation. A handy yardstick to measure yourself against. An Irish Catholic priest of my youth was one of many influences on me young, and a few of his lessons I remember to this day.

The first was stand up straight and be proud of who you are, don't slouch. As I advanced with my military career I recognized that that demand by an Irish Priest who could handle his own drinking, was a key to me being recognized and put in increasing leadership positions. Later I learned how to handle a room and use leadership. But it all started with that. It happens to be Petersons first rule.

Father Joe's second lesson was, there's a man on that cross that died for you, what have you done for him today (paraphrase). The lesson was to be virtuous in daily life, be a better man. Through the years that lesson has often, though sometimes not, been the little voice in my head telling me to do the right thing and don't give in to the small compulsions. It's a constant battle.................. for me anyway.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am
IMHNSO, the first step is recognizing we are all human, have faults and failures. Personal little demons. I fail all the time with this shit. I like whiskey too much. I love having a drink before bed or when talking will buddies. I need to moderate more. I have the willpower, but too often to not apply it.
I just wear my heart on my sleeve, I let it all hang out, but I am an extrovert, that is our nature

people tend to take me on the merits, the good outweighs the bad, at least that is how it is with women & me
Nec Aspera Terrent