Gun Lasers or No?

Smitty-48

Re: Gun Lasers or No?

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:49 am

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 am
Yeah, I got the .38, and later thought "Damn, I coulda got the .357 and still shot .38 with it".
Ah well.
Hindsight.

It's a close range gun anyway, so I'll just trust that five direct hits of .38 should be sufficient.
If not, it was obviously my time to go anyway.
:lol:
It's all about shot placement, shoot for the top lip, right through the medulla, one shot one kill
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Rather than lasers and whatnot, I usually swap out the trigger,

shot placement is all about trigger control
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm

I trust my gun mod skills enough to mount lasers, lights, and sights.
I've never messed with triggers tho, so I leave them alone.

The last thing I need in this life is the humiliation of my custom-installed trigger falling out of the pistol a second before getting shot.
Fuck that.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:49 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm
I trust my gun mod skills enough to mount lasers, lights, and sights.
I've never messed with triggers tho, so I leave them alone.

The last thing I need in this life is the humiliation of my custom-installed trigger falling out of the pistol a second before getting shot.
Fuck that.
Not judging, ride your whip your way

I am weapons technician qualified, so I know what I'm doing with custom builds /shrugs
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Like I say, I don't mess with my wheelguns tho, with my S&W's it's all about aesthetic ; fun guns
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:55 pm

I would replace the trigger on the snub-nose, if I had the skill. That's what fucks the shots up. It's so tiny that any amount of trigger squeeze moves that 1.8" barrel enough to make a significant difference at 15m.

It's not a disaster. I can still hit a human-sized target with it. But it's anyone's guess as to which body part is going to take the shot. Once the ranges open up I'll see if the laser can help the accuracy. Maybe it'll give me a better idea of what the trigger pull looks like down range in real time. Might be easier to compensate for the pull when you can see the motion replicated.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:58 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:55 pm
I would replace the trigger on the snub-nose, if I had the skill. That's what fucks the shots up. It's so tiny that any amount of trigger squeeze moves that 1.8" barrel enough to make a significant difference at 15m.

It's not a disaster. I can still hit a human-sized target with it. But it's anyone's guess as to which body part is going to take the shot. Once the ranges open up I'll see if the laser can help the accuracy. Maybe it'll give me a better idea of what the trigger pull looks like down range in real time. Might be easier to compensate for the pull when you can see the motion replicated.
I just build on my AR & M14

You can't carry a handgun in Canada, it's only on your property or the range

So handguns here are more for sport
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:19 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:47 pm
I've recently picked up red dot lasers for my home protection guns. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, but haven't gotten around to until 'shelter in place' gave me some extra time to get things done. Now, I'm trained on guns so for me a laser always seemed like an added bonus but not a necessity. But I got to thinking about my wife, who is not formally firearm trained, and how she might handle a gun if she had to grab one in the middle of the night.

That's what sold me on the idea of the lasers. I figure zeroing a laser on her revolver at about 3m would be sufficient. For an indoor engagement 3m seems like a reasonable distance - you should still hit human sized targets closer or further away with enough accuracy to be effective.

But I go to these pro firearm sites and see tons of people talking shit about lasers.
"I KNOW HOW TO USE IRON SIGHTS LIKE A MAN!"
"I DON'T NEED SOME HELPER DOT TO SHOOT WELL!"
"REAL SHOOTERS DON'T NEED SPECIAL OLYMPIC POINTERS"
So on and so forth.

What gives? Why are folks hating on gun lasers? Do you use them, or are you a gun laser hater?
It's fake masculinity. Having a God damned red dot on the general vicinity of where your shots will land doesn't seem like a such a bad idea to me, especially when you are talking about home defense situations where your wife and kids are in the house and your fight/flight response kicks in.

Actual masculinity: home invaders are dead in a safe and efficient manner, however that works for you.

Not masculine: "iron sights" theory fails because your heart rate is in the hypertension range and your adrenaline is a little bit higher than, say, what you experience on a nice Spring day at the range.

I dunno, though. To me it comes down to results and risk management.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:35 pm

Laser dots are an effective deterrent under the right circumstances.

I am skeptical of how much value is added in an IRL shoot condition.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:39 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:35 pm
Laser dots are an effective deterrent under the right circumstances.

I am skeptical of how much value is added in an IRL shoot condition.
That's just it. I don't even fucking know. I have not had to shoot back. I have, however, been a witness to a shooting and I can tell you for a fact that even as a bystander it is nothing like being at a range. Anything that makes landing shots on the targets in that situation is good as far as I am concerned. I cannot imagine how they would harm your situation other than if they are not mounted properly.

Red flag for fake masculinity for me is always a posturing language. Actual masculinity is results. If for you that is done by using "training wheels", then what the fuck ever. Is the home invader dead and are the women and children safe? Done.