Beer Drinking

Montegriffo

Re: Beer Drinking

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:40 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrin ... h-pub.html

Decline started in the 50's.
Up to 5 pubs a day closing now.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:53 am

Not all bad though. You now have more than 1000 mosques.

Couldn't find a fresh graph. I want one showing pubs and mosques at the same time.

And. I know correlation =/= causation. I just like yanking your chain.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 am

Pubs in America are mostly a combination of a drinking establishment and restaurant.

A place that is really only for drinking is called a bar.

We like pubs because they tend to be a place where adults go to behave like adults. Bars tend to be where drunks go to behave like dysfunctional children.

Pubs also tend to be okay to bring your family in the early evening for dinner where Mom and Dad can enjoy a glass of beer, etc.

Bars are mainly for adults with psychological and emotional problems: more of a democrat and criminal (redundant?) thing.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:59 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 am
Pubs in America are mostly a combination of a drinking establishment and restaurant.

A place that is really only for drinking is called a bar.

We like pubs because they tend to be a place where adults go to behave like adults. Bars tend to be where drunks go to behave like dysfunctional children.

Pubs also tend to be okay to bring your family in the early evening for dinner where Mom and Dad can enjoy a glass of beer, etc.

Bars are mainly for adults with psychological and emotional problems: more of a democrat and criminal (redundant?) thing.
+1
The corner tavern is making a small comeback in the US, DUI laws have done that. A bar with good food is hard to beat.

Out West, in the tiny little hamlets, the local bar is still a community center, before 10 PM a place for the whole family including kids.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:15 am

Mooslims killed British pubs!
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 am

As in survival of the fittest?
I blame TV and other forms of home entertainment with the killer blow being the smoking ban.
I guess we've evolved away from the need for public houses but at a cost to ''community'' and a loss of historical buildings.

Yep Monte. Since speaker of animals can only speak gibberish it is easier to have a dialogue with you and Hastur on this. :mrgreen:

Here in the US we get the closest thing to an actual Biergarten, and Irish taproom, and a proper London pub. And as more immigrants put their own touch in brings the authentic back versus the Chili’s, Applebee’s, and the other chains that ruins bars.

Back home in NY. The Biergarten is where we ignorant Yanks really learned Football. Mark is from Birmingham originally. I taught him enough German and told him about the German Purity laws that made their beer that awesome. When he opened the English pub just down the street, I finally got the proper education from Ports to Stouts to amazing ales I couldn’t get at the beverage center. And his fish and chips, that fish comes directly from England so about as authentic I will ever get. The signage from Old Speckled Hen rules. He even found an old vintage Red Telephone booth. Even better yet that pub was on an old Historical Site that predates the English. Quackenbush Square was the Dutch. So when I say I’m bummed that I can’t get a bottle of Old Golden Hen very few Americans know what I’m talking about.

Fast forward to Ireland when the Vat Temple Bar is like sacred ground. In Cork this little hole in the wall bar, was the first time I saw a Hurley match. Blew my mind. And believe it or not I can get a cold Beck’s just as easy as the Holy Trinity of beers that is Ireland. But it was these places where if you’re not a douche they never steer you wrong in directions compared to how awful Google Maps was and still is.

When I was in Munich and see that 5-story cathedral of beer I was mind blown. And when you walking in on one side there had to of been over 200 ceramic steins locked up for the patron. And since it was communal seating it was quite easy to socialize and be yourself. Across the way was Ayinger’s, and that’s where I met a Scottish chap and started to talk about the 100 year anniversary of the Christmas truce between England and Germany during WWI. Next thing I know was a couple of German blokes wanted in on the conversation. Now my German is quite bad since it’s been over 30 years since I took the class. But I still remembered enough words and phrases to keep them engaged and next thing I knew they paid my tab. St Augustine’s is the official brewer of Schlersee and little town east of Munich. Between that perfect lager along with a pretzel chicken that’s absolutely to die for. That’s where I met my private driver (way too chicken to drive in Germany); after Neuschweinstein castle was a bust (it was December and everything was in fog), he was kind enough to take me to his favorite Guesthouse. If I was a douche he would of dropped me off at the hotel and moved on. That guesthouse served trout right from the river. He was kind enough to de-bone it and then told me prior to the Wall coming down that he was an Olympic handball player from 1968 and 1972. I’ll never hear these stories in a book.

So bars and taverns for me is oral history the even Dan Carlin is incapable of articulating. And I’m not kidding. If I could swing my way into Suffolk and have a brew and a story, my knowledge and wisdom increases. Hastur would have to educate me if I’m ever in Stockholm. BjornP would have to educate me if I’m ever near Copenhagen.

But that’s me instead of Speaker of Aminals. Lulz.
Last edited by HarryK on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:34 am

We have a Hoffbrauhaus in cleveland that has become my favorite place to drink. It’s a replica of the Munich bierhall, down to the last detail.

Across town, there’s a place called Stone Mad Pub that’s an Irish pub. Both have freaking amazing food and beers - which you simply can’t get in regular American joints.

If you asked me for a reason in the decline, I’d blame the corporatization of the restaurant industry, distilling everything into a bland, boring soup of “flair” and fake smiles.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:51 am

Nicely saved, it was in danger of going all Crusader Knights back there.

There are some great riverside pubs on the Norfolk Broads.
The nanny state still allows you to be drunk in charge of a boat so you can have some epic pub crawls. There's a whole industry built around sailing from pub to pub.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:51 am
Nicely saved, it was in danger of going all Crusader Knights back there.

There are some great riverside pubs on the Norfolk Broads.
The nanny state still allows you to be drunk in charge of a boat so you can have some epic pub crawls. There's a whole industry built around sailing from pub to pub.

If you ever make it to Philadelphia, PA they have a Revolutionary Pub Crawl where every bar is at least 150 years old. I’m not a Yingling guy but for that place I drank it and drank it with pride.

In Key West FL, it will take you 2 and a half days for their pub crawl. For me it’s way too hot for beer. But the variety and nationality of those places versus the losers like Gas Monkey Garage trying to expand their brand was an embarrassment.

Port Richey FL where I am now makes awesome pale ales an ambers. Ybor city outside of Tampa is kind of like a mini New Orleans. Cigar city brewery is tried and true for their beers.

And in Vegas where I’ve meet a lot of the old DCF members at the Pub at the Bellagio had at least 175 taps, and beertenders had no problems making me smarter for pairing beer and food.

Like I said these taverns, bars, and establishments of their ilk is oral history personified. And I’d rather be sociable having a brew instead of drinking alone with the boob tube on. :D
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am

If you get talking to the old farmers in a pub around here they will tell you the locations of all the allied plane crashes from the war (lots of airbases around here). Hard pressed to find that sort of information in books or online.
I try to take advantage when we are threshing to learn a bit more about local history or the wildlife. Too noisy while the machinery is operating but we always sit on a few bales and have a beer afterwards.