How Does One Actually Buy Gold?

C-Mag

Re: How Does One Actually Buy Gold?

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:54 pm

I like metals, gold Silver and Lead.
Small Value, nice silver coins.
Hash level investing, gold
Prepper investing, Lead........ 22lr saw gains of 400% - 1000% in the last decade.

I started collecting Silver a little over 10 years ago. Before too long you need to invest in a safe.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Prepper investing: salt, alcohol, heirloom seeds.

I see you are thinking in terms of ammo with the lead. That's a good idea. What about salt peter, charcoal, and sulfur, though?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Prepper investing: salt, alcohol, heirloom seeds.

I see you are thinking in terms of ammo with the lead. That's a good idea. What about salt peter, charcoal, and sulfur, though?
:lol: if you hadn’t responded, I would have tried to look up spot lead. I’m tired.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Sorry for this OT stuff, but my problem with preps like lead, and gunpowder ingredients is that manufacturing large amounts of ammo would turn you into a big target. Even right here with LOR in place it paints a target on your back.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

As beautiful as Flintlocks are............ I dont think so.

22LR is down for the first time in 7 years, its a good time to buy.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Ron Paul doesn't even know what a checking account is.

(neither do I)
He also doesn't apparently know that $10,000 doesn't even buy you one bitcoin right now, they're going for over $15,000 CAD, so that's like what? $12,000 USD?

Never mind bitcoins, they're gonna start making bitcoin futures contracts next.
I have several thousand dollars in Blockbuster Video stock. My trick is to keep holding onto the stock until it goes waay up. Then, I sell it.
Shikata ga nai

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:20 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I'm rather uninformed on this, and would appreciate some expertise. How does one actually buy physical gold?

Yes, any idiot could walk to a jewelry counter, and get a gaudy chain or something, but I don't want to pay the markups for making it into jewelry. Some actual gold coins would be useful in a Collapse scenario, but they're incredibly difficult to actually find, without paying absurdly high markups.
I understand finding gold coins with a metal detector may be difficult, but ain't you got coin stores in the mistake by the lake? It was always easy for me and I used to buy a lot. StA and I disagree on what kind to buy, but I think he'll remember my being a very strong proponent of owning physical gold and silver way back when a good chance of "making" money on metals existed (I realized substantial gains).
Simply walk into the store and ask after the markets have closed for the day--or better still, the week--know the spot price and pay cash to avoid tax. It used to be that purchases of precious metal for fewer than ten-thousand dollars didn't require transaction statements, but Obama ended that, adding a "markup" to the dealer which, of course, gets passed on to the consumer.
Unless you've got some good reason for doing otherwise, you should buy at least one ounce at a time. StA likes the numismatic value of coins, but for me, the simpler, the better. Chinese Pandas, American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, and Mexican Pesos are all very pretty, all pure gold, and all comparatively pricier than the standard South African Krugerrand. Strictly speaking, this is not a truly numismatic difference as none of them are rare (except in Cleveland, perhaps) but there is a clear difference in price above spot, and bars are cheaper still. So, I'd go with the Krugerrand, if I were you; Englehard silver bars are nice, too.
So, there's your advice--go to a coin store knowing spot, pay with cash.
What did you typically pay above spot? 5%? More?
On Krugerrands, I'd typically pay about 3% above spot--the price fluctuated. (It may be worth noting that the Krugerrand is not pure gold, but does contain one troy ounce of gold; the others I mentioned are .9999, which means simply dropping them on the ground will easily dent them, but they are pretty.)
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

:lol: if you hadn’t responded, I would have tried to look up spot lead. I’m tired.
Get a safe. I like Floor safws, easy to install and hide. Check out local Metals shop, pay cash....... have fun.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: I understand finding gold coins with a metal detector may be difficult, but ain't you got coin stores in the mistake by the lake? It was always easy for me and I used to buy a lot. StA and I disagree on what kind to buy, but I think he'll remember my being a very strong proponent of owning physical gold and silver way back when a good chance of "making" money on metals existed (I realized substantial gains).
Simply walk into the store and ask after the markets have closed for the day--or better still, the week--know the spot price and pay cash to avoid tax. It used to be that purchases of precious metal for fewer than ten-thousand dollars didn't require transaction statements, but Obama ended that, adding a "markup" to the dealer which, of course, gets passed on to the consumer.
Unless you've got some good reason for doing otherwise, you should buy at least one ounce at a time. StA likes the numismatic value of coins, but for me, the simpler, the better. Chinese Pandas, American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, and Mexican Pesos are all very pretty, all pure gold, and all comparatively pricier than the standard South African Krugerrand. Strictly speaking, this is not a truly numismatic difference as none of them are rare (except in Cleveland, perhaps) but there is a clear difference in price above spot, and bars are cheaper still. So, I'd go with the Krugerrand, if I were you; Englehard silver bars are nice, too.
So, there's your advice--go to a coin store knowing spot, pay with cash.
What did you typically pay above spot? 5%? More?
On Krugerrands, I'd typically pay about 3% above spot--the price fluctuated. (It may be worth noting that the Krugerrand is not pure gold, but does contain one troy ounce of gold; the others I mentioned are .9999, which means simply dropping them on the ground will easily dent them, but they are pretty.)
That’s another thing. How pure is “pure”? Is it recommended to get a certain percentage?

Is the spot price measured in terms of absolute Au purity, or something else?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 pm

I’ve got 2 of 3 covered. Learning to make alcohol is on the list for future projects.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace