Spider Scarecrows

Martin Hash

Spider Scarecrows

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 pm

It's shit like this (and butterflies) that undermine evolutionary theory. As a computer programmer (a damn good one), there REALLY IS such a thing as irreducible complexity. This shit isn't random.
The decoy was about the size of a half-dollar, constructed from debris and food carcasses, with eight legs radiating from its bulky center. It took Reeves awhile to find the spider that sculpted the false arachnid, but he eventually spotted it hiding in a pocket built into the decoy’s abdomen. It was just millimeters across, and well camouflaged by its building materials.
Spider Scarecrows

p.s. In fact, this is so outrageous, I call bullshit. However, when I tried to find whether something this ridiculous had been debunked, I couldn't!
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Re: Spider Scarecrows

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 pm

I've always known arachnids were extra terrestrial invaders. We must destroy the arachnid invaders and drive them from our homeland.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Martin Hash wrote:It's shit like this (and butterflies) that undermine evolutionary theory. As a computer programmer (a damn good one), there REALLY IS such a thing as irreducible complexity. This shit isn't random.
The decoy was about the size of a half-dollar, constructed from debris and food carcasses, with eight legs radiating from its bulky center. It took Reeves awhile to find the spider that sculpted the false arachnid, but he eventually spotted it hiding in a pocket built into the decoy’s abdomen. It was just millimeters across, and well camouflaged by its building materials.
Spider Scarecrows

p.s. In fact, this is so outrageous, I call bullshit. However, when I tried to find whether something this ridiculous had been debunked, I couldn't!

Spiders have to have some idea of what they are doing here. It's not as if we have examples of all the random shapes that don't work until they randomly arrived at a self-portrait.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Maybe you guys know if this is normal..

A few months ago, a colony of bald face hornets built a large nest near my condo. I destroyed the nest, but they all just fled from it by the second wave of hits. Because I didn't use the spray, they came back and were rebuilding the thing by the following morning. I got the hornet spray and slaughtered hundreds of them. I thought that was that, but no. These clever little bastards had built satellite nests in every single condo building in the exact same hidden places. I had to kill many more and destroy maybe 25-30 satellite nests. It was all the same colony as far as I.could tell.

I thought they just build one big basketball sized nest? I couldn't find any info on whether this species normally behaves this way. It was actually a very smart strategy. The queen could escape to any satellite nest and breed additional workers, and her food supply was distributed.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 pm

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Maybe you guys know if this is normal..

A few months ago, a colony of bald face hornets built a large nest near my condo. I destroyed the nest, but they all just fled from it by the second wave of hits. Because I didn't use the spray, they came back and were rebuilding the thing by the following morning. I got the hornet spray and slaughtered hundreds of them. I thought that was that, but no. These clever little bastards had built satellite nests in every single condo building in the exact same hidden places. I had to kill many more and destroy maybe 25-30 satellite nests. It was all the same colony as far as I.could tell.

I thought they just build one big basketball sized nest? I couldn't find any info on whether this species normally behaves this way. It was actually a very smart strategy. The queen could escape to any satellite nest and breed additional workers, and her food supply was distributed.
I've never heard of them acting that way. What led you to think it was the same colony (social vespids can make many colonies close to each other and even when species are different may not appear so)?
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:50 pm

katarn wrote:

I've never heard of them acting that way. What led you to think it was the same colony (social vespids can make many colonies close to each other and even when species are different may not appear so)?

Because they flew back and forth between the big nest (the normal one you think of as the typical hanging hornet nest) and the little ones. The little ones looked like just comb cross sections like a wasp might build, but they were inhabited by the bald-faced hornets. The hornets were also trying to build more of these things after I killed the big nest.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Never seen a large nest of them truth be told. Maybe a half basketball sized ones. They tend to prefer small ones, at least around here. The typically choose to colonize domicile areas and I believe it's because normally faggots aren't trying to kill them, they just go about their business of eating pest insects and don't bother you unless you bother them. East Asians consider them lucky if they build a nest near their homes. Stop killing them faggot. They are super cool.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Nukedog wrote:

Never seen a large nest of them truth be told. Maybe a half basketball sized ones. They tend to prefer small ones, at least around here. The typically choose to colonize domicile areas and I believe it's because normally faggots aren't trying to kill them, they just go about their business of eating pest insects and don't bother you unless you bother them. East Asians consider them lucky if they build a nest near their homes. Stop killing them faggot. They are super cool.

Well, they attacked my neighbor's kids and they had to go.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

They deserved it for fucking with them. Literally the only time they attacked me was when I was a kid and thought it would be cool to fuck with them. Stop being a cuck for someone else's offspring making bad decisions. Tell them, "no, you're kid is a genetic dead end making bad decisions. He needs to learn that in this world, fucking around with wasps will get you stung." And then walk away. Be the bigger man.