US Voting Qualifications Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: US Voting Qualifications Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
apeman wrote:
You are too emotional and too concerned with your own position to discuss what might be beneficial to the future of our country.

I of course understand why you don't like my proposals, but when you can only see one side like you do, you assume that my intentions are nefarious
Are we not supposed to vote in our self interest, in a democracy?
We are a FUCKING REPUBLIC! Not a Democracy... fucking hell... how stupid do you need to be to not realize this?
Yet, I have a vote. Which I am expected to use in my own interest.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 am

California wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
You're referring to empires that lasted millenia. We've been here 200 years.

The Roman Republic really lasted only about three centuries after they started expanding across the peninsula and beyond. For about two centuries prior to that, they were basically just a city with a few client towns in the surrounding area. The United States began at the stage that the Roman Republic was in about two centuries into it's history. It does seem like they will have squeezed about a century of life more out of their imperial-staged republic than we will, but that's not a thousand years.

What lasted a thousand years was an empire, run by an emperor, in which people were given votes on smaller matters that affected them locally, but not the whole empire. What really gave it additional life were the Diocletian reforms that established the groundwork for feudalism and were based on principles like subsidiarity.
1497 years actually :D

LOL, no.

From their independence from the Etruscans to the Principate, we are talking about four and a half centuries. But for the first two centuries, they really were just a city, not so much a huge nation state of any kind. From the time that they vaguely resembled a republican empire like the United States on day one of its existence to Augustus was just under three centuries .

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Are we not supposed to vote in our self interest, in a democracy?
We are a FUCKING REPUBLIC! Not a Democracy... fucking hell... how stupid do you need to be to not realize this?
Yet, I have a vote. Which I am expected to use in my own interest.
You honestly don't know what a Republic is if you can say that with a straight face:
Republic

A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
Seriously, how much spoon feeding do you need?
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am

Stop being such an autist. We all know the difference. We are using democracy in the general sense. Stop degrading the thread with this stuff.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Stop being such an autist. We all know the difference. We are using democracy in the general sense. Stop degrading the thread with this stuff.
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Pound sand you snot.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Yeah, we know, TC. If you are going to try to signal your intellect, do it with shit that not everybody already knows.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeah, we know, TC. If you are going to try to signal your intellect, do it with shit that not everybody already knows.
Then don’t call the US a Democracy when it’s a Republic. It’s as simple as that.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeah, we know, TC. If you are going to try to signal your intellect, do it with shit that not everybody already knows.
Then don’t call the US a Democracy when it’s a Republic. It’s as simple as that.
You really are autistic, aren't you?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm

apeman wrote: Asking again, what is the best way to structure voting rights to align incentives?
Are you certain that voting rights, or any rights for that matter, ought to be tools for incentive alignment?

That is where the thought experiment runs onto the rocks for me. It isn't that we couldn't use enfranchisement, or some other right, as a quid pro quo in order to encourage certain behaviors, but that seems to undermine the very concept of a right.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:33 pm

The Conservative wrote:

Sometimes I really hate having to explain things to forum members as one would to a child..

We have a representative democracy. A representative democracy is a kind of democracy not to be confused with a direct democracy (i.e. Athens before the second war with Sparta), which is another kind of democracy. When people use the unqualified word democracy, they refer to the broad category of rule by votes of which our government (representative democracy) and some other forms (such as direct democracy of Athens or the mixed government of medieval Venice) are a part.

You confuse the broader category of democracy with direct democracy.