DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

Kazmyr

Re: DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 am

Fife wrote:Right now is the time for us to start up a company that will provide "preferred" DNA profiles and get the power of Fauxcahontas on our side. Who wants to go long?

"23 and Gibs to Me"
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 am

Fife wrote:Right now is the time for us to start up a company that will provide "preferred" DNA profiles and get the power of Fauxcahontas on our side. Who wants to go long?
Would it be like a tax-prep agency . . . you'd deduct the cost of the work from the government refund?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 am

DBTrek wrote:
Would it be like a tax-prep agency . . . you'd deduct the cost of the work from the government refund?
Yes, for a Class One chip. Class Ones will make up the vast majority (90% +) of chips that will give you a "right" to a job and/or the gibs. We'll cover all operating costs plus about 50% on the rabble. That makes the state happy and willing to leave us the hell alone.

Class Twos through Fives, for the middling civil servants, we would expect a little something extra there. That makes our shareholders happy.

For Class Six and up, . . . well, let's just say that's where the extra juice kicks in for us lads. :twisted:

:goteam:

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 pm

DBTrek wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Here's my readout:

Genetics.PNG
:Worship:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:19 pm

apeman wrote:
DBTrek wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Here's my readout:

Genetics.PNG
:Worship:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't follow?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm

No shit, take a nap.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Fife wrote:No shit, take a nap.
:lol:

jfc fife I just spit water on my keyboard

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Kazmyr wrote:Curious about doing this for myself, would like to know if anyone on here has used any one of these services.
I bought one years ago as a gift for my mother. It basically confirmed what we already knew. About genealogy and ancestry.com, it's not as easy as just looking people up and assuming they're your relatives because you have the same name and lived in the same area. Once you get back into the mid 1800s and earlier, people tended to have the same names in the same family in the same area, so you may not be looking at an ancestor. The censuses are useful to sort that out.

It's a lot of fun if you decide to take this up as a hobby.
:royalty-queen:

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Kazmyr wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I had the exact same problem. Mom's side had hired a professional to compile a volume of ancestors, complete with pictures, going back into Germany. Dad's side was almost unknown. Ancestry is a fantastic tool to find all of that info, even without the DNA. It just takes a little patience to dig through, but you'll have 4-5 generations figured out in an evening.
Excellent; now you got me excited.

I assume the more info you can provide yourself, the easier it is to find stuff?

Yep. It's going to look at whatever you have for the grandparents, and run a search against their database. It will link you to records with that name, date of birth, etc, and other peoples' family trees. That's when it gets really fun. You'll think you're stuck, then you link to another tree and 30 more people are added, because someone else did the research already.

My tree has around 2,000 people in it now.
Make sure you're careful. Don't just take the promptings with a grain of salt- dump a barrel. My grandfather is into this stuff, and for a year or so would've sworn we were the sons of Richard Henry Lee (signee to the Declaration of Independence), but later found out it was one private Richard Henry Lee we really came from. Look into more than just name, DOB, etc if you can.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace