DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

Kazmyr

DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:45 am

Curious about doing this for myself, would like to know if anyone on here has used any one of these services.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Speaker to Animals

Re: DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 am

GCF did it once and it turned out he was something like only 60% white, crashed and burned, and we had to walk him back from suicide.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 am

We all learned that StA can't comprehend percentages, and laughed.

We did the Ancestry test for my gf and myself, so that the boys have a complete readout. They give you an ethnic breakdown, regions of ancestry, etc. They also link you to probable cousins and grandparents that you didn't know about, based on other peoples' results. It's well worth $100.

I don't know much about 23 And Me's service, but I believe they were at one point looking for genetic disease markers, before getting slapped down by the FDA (medical lobbyists).

Here's my readout:
Genetics.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 am

:lol:

GCF needs to get his semi-white ass in this here thread and give me the rundown.

As an aside, the new HH History discussion about being "Celtic" got me thinking about this. My mother's side of the family, thanks to my aunt, has genealogy going back to the 1400's. But since my old man died, I have almost no idea about my father's side (maybe 2 generations back, and not that much detail about it).
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:29 am

Kazmyr wrote::lol:

GCF needs to get his semi-white ass in this here thread and give me the rundown.

As an aside, the new HH History discussion about being "Celtic" got me thinking about this. My mother's side of the family, thanks to my aunt, has genealogy going back to the 1400's. But since my old man died, I have almost no idea about my father's side (maybe 2 generations back, and not that much detail about it).
I had the exact same problem. Mom's side had hired a professional to compile a volume of ancestors, complete with pictures, going back into Germany. Dad's side was almost unknown. Ancestry is a fantastic tool to find all of that info, even without the DNA. It just takes a little patience to dig through, but you'll have 4-5 generations figured out in an evening.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:We all learned that StA can't comprehend percentages, and laughed.

We did the Ancestry test for my gf and myself, so that the boys have a complete readout. They give you an ethnic breakdown, regions of ancestry, etc. They also link you to probable cousins and grandparents that you didn't know about, based on other peoples' results. It's well worth $100.

I don't know much about 23 And Me's service, but I believe they were at one point looking for genetic disease markers, before getting slapped down by the FDA (medical lobbyists).

Here's my readout:

Genetics.PNG
:cheers:

What was the timeframe on getting results back?

I know 23 and Me now offers the limited health report (for only 10 diseases/conditions - as it pertains to that individual only). On the fence about that, since it's so narrow in scope. (List is here: https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom ... 551185.htm)

Currently, looking at this to compare the testing, as price is the same: Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I had the exact same problem. Mom's side had hired a professional to compile a volume of ancestors, complete with pictures, going back into Germany. Dad's side was almost unknown. Ancestry is a fantastic tool to find all of that info, even without the DNA. It just takes a little patience to dig through, but you'll have 4-5 generations figured out in an evening.
Excellent; now you got me excited.

I assume the more info you can provide yourself, the easier it is to find stuff?

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 am

I'd really like to try this out but I have concerns about sending my precious DNA via snail mail, what should I do

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 am

pineapplemike wrote:I'd really like to try this out but I have concerns about sending my precious DNA via snail mail, what should I do
Just accept that privacy is a thing of the past, sadly. The effort of intercepting that mail for your genetic code is much higher than simply going through your trash, or taking a piece of hair after you leave the barber shop.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 am

Kazmyr wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Excellent; now you got me excited.

I assume the more info you can provide yourself, the easier it is to find stuff?

Yep. It's going to look at whatever you have for the grandparents, and run a search against their database. It will link you to records with that name, date of birth, etc, and other peoples' family trees. That's when it gets really fun. You'll think you're stuck, then you link to another tree and 30 more people are added, because someone else did the research already.

My tree has around 2,000 people in it now.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace