Good Cop, Bad Cop: Law Enforcement Thread

Montegriffo

Re: Good Cop, Bad Cop: Law Enforcement Thread

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:16 am

The Dutch are known for being tolerant and treating everyone equally (but not all the time). Sometimes, no one is spared. Not even this bird (pictured in the feature image and below) could escape from the efficient Dutch politie when he chose to shoplift along with his owner in Utrecht.

This criminal was caught by the Utrecht police and was taken into custody as he was on the shoplifter’s shoulder.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 pm
Hastur wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:26 pm
I can't make heads or tails of this case.

Female white privilege?
She deserves jail time, but it wasn't premeditated, she panicked and shit the bed.

If the next of kin can forgive her, there's no call for me to pile on.

Ten years is reasonable, she wasn't charged with Capital Murder.

Just because there's unreasonable over sentencing going on, doesn't mean I call for over sentencing in this case.

I'd rather see most sentences dialed back. White Privilege extended to all.

Throwing the book at everybody is Puritanical meets Prison Industrial Complex, I don't favor that.

I found the whole thing to be refreshingly civilized, America at its Christian best, good on them.

If every trial was so humane, that could heal a lot of wounds.

I'm no hanging judge, Jesus is Lord.

Bless that judge right there, she's a good Christian.

The Lord awaits her, over the river under the shade of the trees.

Amber Guyger too, Lord have mercy on her.
I don't think anybody here is disputing her sentence. The problem is the double standards and the lack of rule of law, and especially the lack of equality before the law.

They throw people in prison with sentences that are football numbers for ridiculous shit and, when one of their own commits manslaughter or murder, the judge comes down and hugs the murderer before giving her a relatively light sentence.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:26 pm
I can't make heads or tails of this case.

Female white privilege?
Insofar as "privilege" exists, you just saw several forms stack up. Cops get special treatment by the judicial system. Women routinely get significantly lower sentences than men for the same crimes.

Privilege exists, but it's not what the lefties imagine it to be. Quite the opposite.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:00 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 am
I don't think anybody here is disputing her sentence. The problem is the double standards and the lack of rule of law, and especially the lack of equality before the law.

They throw people in prison with sentences that are football numbers for ridiculous shit and, when one of their own commits manslaughter or murder, the judge comes down and hugs the murderer before giving her a relatively light sentence.
A cop with no criminal record who screws the pooch is not a hardened criminal.

If the judge feels bad for her, that doesn't bother me, I'm not looking for retribution, the next of kin aren't even.

There's no equality before the law issue, she was already guilty and sentenced.

Just because there are people with a grudge about it, doesn't mean I have one, nor the judge, nor the next of kin.

Just because there is over sentencing, it does not follow that I want more of that, two wrongs don't make a right.

There's not even a motive for murder here, obviously was a tragic mistake.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:18 am

I think the murder charge is actually bullshit, that's political, the DA trying to appease an angry mob.

There's no mens rea for murder, she thought she was in her apartment, she thought it was an intruder.

I still would have given her ten years for being reckless, but on a manslaughter charge, not murder.

This is more akin to reckless driving than it is an assassination.

The thing that caused this was confirmation bias

All the hallways in the building look the same, so it's not hard to walk up to the wrong door.

She had her nightmare scenario of a black man being in her apartment as an intruder fixed in her head.

The reckless part was that she shot him before determining if he was actually a threat, hair trigger alert.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:11 pm

You are arguing against something else that has nothing to do with what I said. I don't really dispute her sentencing. I think it was a fair sentence, though a judge hugging a convicted murderer like that creates a poor impression.

The problem is not her sentencing but the fact that there are people in prison right now with many, many more years -- fucking football numbers -- for merely wounding police who unconstitutionally invaded their homes with no-knock warrants, for example. People get thrown in prison for huge sentences for next to nothing.

And insofar as the BLM folks have a point, nobody empathizes with the black male defendant's humanity. Nobody gives him a bible and gives him the lowest sentence possible for the charges he was convicted for. The judge grandstands and tells him that he is a super predator and deserves twenty to life. Imagine some mother or sister watching this woman get ten years (probably at a special institution at that) while their son or brother got like thirty years for a crime that didn't actually even result in an injury or death.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:11 pm
You are arguing against something else that has nothing to do with what I said.
I'm not arguing, simply my view of it, I don't care what you say, knock yourself out.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:18 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 am

WATCH: What Tailgaiting in a Police State Looks Like, Police Helicopter Rains Down Hell on Tailgaters
According to police, a group of college students involved with a fraternity were told to move from one area and relocate to another. However, according to police, this did not happen, so they escalated their tactics.
“We understand concerns have been raised regarding police activity during tailgate celebrations in one lot, in advance of the Penn State vs. Ohio State game on Saturday (Sept. 29). University Police wishes to reassure fans that officers were responding to the circumstances on the ground, which involved numerous law violations, including serious threats to officer safety within a disorderly crowd. Unruly individuals refused to disperse following verbal commands and at least one officer suffered injuries. It is rare to resort to these expanded interventions; however, when all other warnings from the mounted police unit and officers on the ground were ignored, a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was deployed as another tool to compel the group to disperse and curb dangerous and unruly behavior. Following the use of the helicopter, the dangerous behaviors dissipated.”

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:52 am

What the ever fuck?

Where is the FAA on this? That's a crime and that guy is supposed to have his license permanently revoked and probably charged.

The article does not even touch on the very real danger of FOD kicked up by the rotor wash and potentially crashing that helicopter on a huge crowd of people. This guy belongs in jail and to never be allowed to fly anything again.

If any of you endangered lives at that level, you do not even want to imagine what the feds would do to you after you landed.