The Religion Discussion Thread

apeman

Re: The Religion Discussion Thread

Post by apeman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:58 am

DeO: that list is staggering

Turning to the point I want to touch on (partially lifted from other sources):

https://www.ignant.com/2017/07/03/anoth ... -villages/

(the photographs are breathtaking btw)

"It’s possible to say that nature dominates the culture of these people and they exist quietly in a place where technology is not superior . . . [o]ne of the things that struck me most was that the profound unease that comes with modern living is entirely absent in these villages."

So the Big Question: Is the "unease" of modern life absent in these mountain villages explained by primitivism, or because we have divorced ourselves from nature? (Or something else, like religious beliefs?)

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:11 am

Those pictures are amazing.

I think the difference is mostly to do with the collapse of community. Those people all know each other intimately. Nothing like our experience of being surrounded by strangers constantly.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:00 pm

apeman wrote:DeO: that list is staggering

Turning to the point I want to touch on (partially lifted from other sources):

https://www.ignant.com/2017/07/03/anoth ... -villages/

(the photographs are breathtaking btw)

"It’s possible to say that nature dominates the culture of these people and they exist quietly in a place where technology is not superior . . . [o]ne of the things that struck me most was that the profound unease that comes with modern living is entirely absent in these villages."

So the Big Question: Is the "unease" of modern life absent in these mountain villages explained by primitivism, or because we have divorced ourselves from nature? (Or something else, like religious beliefs?)
I think it might relate to our deep-seated anxiety about loss, sickness and death, which in turn drives our dependence on technology and dominance of nature. If you are looking for a religious angle about this then you might want to read Luke 12:16-21 and Matthew 6:25-34, where Christ offered a different and reassuring perspective.

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm

I am actually going to try that out right now. I am actually not particularly at "unease", but I do suspect that the author's observation that our technological marvel of a modern world and its endless "progress" * causes unease/anxiety/voids is likely accurate.

Thanks.

* not trying to romanticize poverty or infant mortality et al, there is tangible progress, I just suspect we as a society are seeing only half the picture

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:04 am

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:14 am

Nukedog wrote:Image
There is so much to dissect in that screenshot
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 am

Many were called; few were chosen.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 am

Really makes you think

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 am

It's possible to be spiritual but not religious, and to find fellowship outside of a religious structure. There are so many communal activities and interests that people can structure their lives around.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:52 am

MilSpecs wrote:It's possible to be spiritual but not religious, and to find fellowship outside of a religious structure. There are so many communal activities and interests that people can structure their lives around.

You'd have known how silly that sounds today had you gone to mass.