The Religion Discussion Thread

katarn

The Religion Discussion Thread

Post by katarn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

apeman wrote:re: my post-atheism comment. Maybe should be a thread. And no, I don't believe there is a magical man in the sky who cares specifically about my well-being.
nukedog wrote:Jesus loves you anyway faggot
Maybe I spent too much time in German cathedrals, but I'm curious: What do we think about G(g)od(s)?
I'll stake a stance, and hopefully some of you will follow. God of the Bible is real.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: The Religion Discussion Thread

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:55 am

Fenrir of the Poetic Edda is real.

RAWR!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:19 am

I'm currently working through Jordan Peterssons series on The Psychological Significance of the Biblical Stories. It's quite an eye opener for an old secular agnostic like me. He shares my fascination for Nietzsche, Jung and Solzjenitsyn. That helps. I'm almost on the verge of joining a church again. I left the Swedish state church as soon as it was made possible. If I join a congregation again it would probably be Catholic. We just last week got the first Swedish Cardinal ever.

I still don't believe in a Personal God.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 am

I'm in a bible study that meets once per week. We've adjourned for the summer, but will resume in September. If anyone wants me to share the scripture references and discuss the topical questions, just let me know and I'll post. The last reading we covered was Judges 6:1-24 (Call of Gideon)

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:49 am

Hastur wrote:I'm currently working through Jordan Peterssons series on The Psychological Significance of the Biblical Stories. It's quite an eye opener for an old secular agnostic like me.
We are perhaps on the same journey

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:10 am

katarn wrote: What do we think about G(g)od(s)?
I'll stake a stance, and hopefully some of you will follow. God of the Bible is real.
I was raised very (very) religious, until around 12 years old. Then my dad flipped full-on atheist, and I had to figure it out for myself.

I'm not interested in what anyone else cares to believe, just keep it out of 'real life', ie: policy discussions, science, work, school. For me personally, I think that everything we see is explainable by scientific inquiry, so I see no need for a god-figure to exist. It's an old pacifier that humanity needed in its infancy, to explain the unknowable. We've outgrown it, and should leave it behind.

Again though, I really don't care to "convert" anyone else. It's their path to travel, and no business of mine.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 am

Oh wow. It almost remained civil for an entire page.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Oh wow. It almost remained civil for an entire page.
I don't mean to be 'uncivil' at all. Just giving my genuine personal view on religion. The 'pacifier' phrase isn't meant as an insult, but I don't know of a nicer way to put it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:19 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Oh wow. It almost remained civil for an entire page.
I don't mean to be 'uncivil' at all. Just giving my genuine personal view on religion. The 'pacifier' phrase isn't meant as an insult, but I don't know of a nicer way to put it.

I understand where you are coming from. But it is an insult. I am not sure you understand it, though. I came from no religious background at all. I was raised as you are now. From my perspective, the direction you are taking will deprive your children of meaning and hope. They will only find so much satisfaction chasing pleasure and wealth.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote: What do we think about G(g)od(s)?
I was raised very (very) religious, until around 12 years old. Then my dad flipped full-on atheist, and I had to figure it out for myself.

I'm not interested in what anyone else cares to believe, just keep it out of 'real life', ie: policy discussions, science, work, school. For me personally, I think that everything we see is explainable by scientific inquiry, so I see no need for a god-figure to exist. It's an old pacifier that humanity needed in its infancy, to explain the unknowable. We've outgrown it, and should leave it behind.

Again though, I really don't care to "convert" anyone else. It's their path to travel, and no business of mine.
I agree that (almost) everything is explainable by scientific inquiry, but my experience is that that inquiry points to the God of the Bible.

"A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him." --Louis Pasteur
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace