The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Ex-California

Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by Ex-California » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Costco doesn't always have it, but they sell 8 quarters of the precooked rotisserie chicken for the same price as a whole chicken. Its the leftovers after they use the breasts to make the soup and salad and stuff.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:12 pm

If a man diets and doesn't both eat a higher amount of protein and lift weights, quite a lot of that weight loss he sees on the scale will be lost muscle rather than fat.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:If a man diets and doesn't both eat a higher amount of protein and lift weights, quite a lot of that weight loss he sees on the scale will be lost muscle rather than fat.
Almost any exercise will work: I do only 20 minutes per day on an elliptical while listening to Continuing Education courses (CLE, CPE, CEE, CME).
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:If a man diets and doesn't both eat a higher amount of protein and lift weights, quite a lot of that weight loss he sees on the scale will be lost muscle rather than fat.
Almost any exercise will work: I do only 20 minutes per day on an elliptical while listening to Continuing Education courses (CLE, CPE, CEE, CME).

Resistance training preserves muscle in a diet better than anything else that I know of. An elliptical helps preserve legs, but you have to use the arm thingies to provide resistance to your chest and back.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Resistance training preserves muscle in a diet better than anything else that I know of. An elliptical helps preserve legs, but you have to use the arm thingies to provide resistance to your chest and back.
Yep.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Yeah, something to fight muscle atrophy is probably a good idea. I don't want to be a hulk though. You all think light resistance training the way to go? Something to maintain muscle mass without bulking up?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm

I got some bud select at 1.9 carbs a bottle. Figure if I'm shooting for between 30 and 100 grams a day to get this thing started, eating zero carbs and having 20 in the beer should be alright.

thoughts?

also, this is only on friday and saturday night.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 pm

DBTrek wrote:Yeah, something to fight muscle atrophy is probably a good idea. I don't want to be a hulk though. You all think light resistance training the way to go? Something to maintain muscle mass without bulking up?
Thank god, a topic I know inside and out. If your goal is to be lean and mean, then yea, go for it. The big goal is to get your heart rate up, and diet correctly. Mix your cardio (heart rate) with resistance training. I'm a big fan of jumping rope.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
DBTrek wrote:Yeah, something to fight muscle atrophy is probably a good idea. I don't want to be a hulk though. You all think light resistance training the way to go? Something to maintain muscle mass without bulking up?
Thank god, a topic I know inside and out. If your goal is to be lean and mean, then yea, go for it. The big goal is to get your heart rate up, and diet correctly. Mix your cardio (heart rate) with resistance training. I'm a big fan of jumping rope.
Running five miles three times a week should be enough to keep you thin just about no matter what you eat as long as you are being reasonable.

I'm only doing this because I want super powers.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 pm

No. You should lift heavy to preserve muscle. Ideally, anyway.

If you don't want to lift, I would suggest doing push-ups, pull-ups, and squats (calisthenics). Start with the basic movements and when you can get a good amount of them in a single set, increase the difficulty with a more advanced version. That will preserve muscle really well.

Also, I have a feeling that Atkins was probably right about how to diet (for men). Bodybuilders will do keto for like maybe two weeks, I think. It's not a good solution to lose a lot of fat, in my opinion, because -- again -- you will lose muscle. You are better off decreasing carbs and increasing protein to compensate with a enough saturated fats to maintain your hormones. You will want a pretty high protein percentage and, if you are just doing calisthenics, you will want to hit each muscle group at least twice a weak.

Convict Conditioning is a book that has some good progressions, but you can get most of this stuff for free online.

This guy has a good program:

http://roamstrong.com

I would add to what he has a calf raise progression and wrist strengthening exercises. At your age, sitting at a computer all the time and not doing physical work, your wrists are going to hurt at first, especially with push-ups. You need to stretch them first. Try to do like twenty push-ups. If your wrists hurt, I can tell you what to do to fix that pretty fast.

This guy has material that is helping me prepare for more advanced movements (I want to be able to do more gymnastic type moves at some point):

http://antranik.org
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.