Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Fife

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Fife » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Nukedog wrote:Have fun with your carburetor and shitty boomer toy.
I would have figured that you would be the kind of guy who could hand-choke a carburetor, living off your wits. Prolly you're just too young. There's still plenty of other kinds of hand-choking open to you tho.

But are your calling the hummer a "shitty boomer toy" or my long-lost 74 IH Scout II? Makes a difference.
Last edited by Fife on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

A microwave is a faraday cage btw

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Fife wrote:I would have figured that you would be the kind of guy who could hand-choke a carburetor, living off your wits. Prolly you're just too young. There's still plenty of other kinds of hand-choking open to you tho.
Last time I hand choked a carb a cop pulled me over and asked why I was doing ten on a fifty mph back road.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Understanding money (actual money, not DC money) is all situational awareness. Diesel for your farm and security; petrol that will still burn: money.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Nukedog wrote:
Fife wrote:I would have figured that you would be the kind of guy who could hand-choke a carburetor, living off your wits. Prolly you're just too young. There's still plenty of other kinds of hand-choking open to you tho.
Last time I hand choked a carb a cop pulled me over and asked why I was doing ten on a fifty mph back road.
LOL been there, done that. I didn't get a fucking tshirt tho.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Me neither. Truck was too cool I guess.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Time to make some sauce. :)

6EC47082-B9D2-4677-922C-E9C73FB580C6.jpeg

How long will the sauce last after canning?

You should buy a shit ton of pasta in vacuum sealed containers. When SHTF, it's time to carb the fuck up.
Forever, probably. Once it’s done, it’s an anearobic environment with high acidity, so nothing can grow. Should last until the glass fails or something.

I can make my own pasta, once I get the hang of wheat milling.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm

How the fuck did you grow all those tomatos anyway? You kept some heirloom seeds from the best ones right?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Time to make some sauce. :)

6EC47082-B9D2-4677-922C-E9C73FB580C6.jpeg

How long will the sauce last after canning?

You should buy a shit ton of pasta in vacuum sealed containers. When SHTF, it's time to carb the fuck up.
Forever, probably. Once it’s done, it’s an anearobic environment with high acidity, so nothing can grow. Should last until the glass fails or something.

I can make my own pasta, once I get the hang of wheat milling.

You should get a pasta machine. They are cheap and will last forever. I can make pretty good pasta, but I never did it from flour I milled myself from wheat.

If you want that as a prepping option, you're going to need some hens to produce lots of eggs. About 1-2 eggs per 1 cups of flour I think it was last I did it (it's been a while).

If you grow some herbs, garlic, tomatoes, and onions, you'd have some good pasta meals in the worst of times. It might be really hard to make the flour right, though. To do it right, you have to make semolina flour. All I know is that it comes from the course part of the wheat.

Making a spaghetti dinner from scratch using ingredients you grew/hatched yourself would be awesome, though.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Nukedog wrote:How the fuck did you grow all those tomatos anyway? You kept some heirloom seeds from the best ones right?
Yeah, we have a stash for next year. :) these are all from last year, actually. I didn’t have time to take care of the garden over the summer.

My neighbor had a pretty badass system, using a cable strung between posts, and tying the plants to it instead of tomato cages. I’ll have to try that next time.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0