Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:36 am

C-Mag wrote:
Yeah, I kind of figured you had your inner Hannibal Lector on. :lol: I was just pointing out that if you learned this now and get some protein stored away you can pass on the Liver, Cianti and Fava Beans. :twisted:

BTW
I understand Donner Pass snowed over earlier this year than the year of the famous dining expedition.
Give a cannibal a big ol' thigh bone to gnaw on, he eats for a day. Teach a cannibal how to cure meats, something, something, something...

I like the way you think. :D
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 am

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

Meat and Fat are often not in people long term food storage plans. Doesn't have to be. Man has been storing protein through curing, smoking, and canning. It can be an enjoyable seasonal hobby. Plus you can make great stuff like Proscuitto
I really wish I knew how to do that... mmmm.

$ 1.99 Barnes & Noble on line right now.
a readers review
I LOVED this book! I learned a lot about history, from ancient civilizations all the way to the origins of common everyday products that we take for granted every day in the 20th and 21st centuries. Loaded with details, ancient recipes, and new revelations in practically every sentence on every page, I walk away from this book with a renewed sense of awe that civilization ever got this far. Not for the timid reader, details can be overwhelming at times, but never boring. Not if you like history and the "untold story"

It's a great start in understanding how curing of foods was developed and the basics of how to do it.
Listening now.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 am

:lol: I didn't even see that it was audio. Which is cool.

I have the book, I enjoyed it. Lots of unknown history. The big one I hadn't realized is that up until 100 years ago Salt was used as Currency. Yeah, we all know Salary comes from the Roman Salarium(Salt), Soldiers were often paid in Salt. But I always thought that was ancient history. And the last war fought over Salt was fought in the last 125 years.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:17 am

Civilian Volunteer Ham Operators providing all Communication in and out of Puerto Rico
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/us/puerto ... tors-trnd/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Time to make some sauce. :)
6EC47082-B9D2-4677-922C-E9C73FB580C6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:15 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Time to make some sauce. :)

6EC47082-B9D2-4677-922C-E9C73FB580C6.jpeg

How long will the sauce last after canning?

You should buy a shit ton of pasta in vacuum sealed containers. When SHTF, it's time to carb the fuck up.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:41 pm

C-Mag wrote:Civilian Volunteer Ham Operators providing all Communication in and out of Puerto Rico
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/us/puerto ... tors-trnd/
Man I want to get into HAM radio.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:09 pm

EMP resistance, for everything, is coming soon. For us, at least. Faraday cages on a nano level for all -- even for your obamaphone.

Meantime, there's nothing wrong with going with brute force anti-fragile gear re: hacking. I'm pretty sure my 870 doesn't have a chip of any kind. I just wish I still had the 74 IH Scout II my dad offered me in high school.

Humvee has no electronics for EMP to damage

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Have fun with your carburetor and shitty boomer toy.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Best strategy is to minimize exposure. So do not use electronic gear for prepping. Restore an old truck that has no electronics. The stuff you think you need should be stored in the basement inside a faraday cage and surrounded by ESD wrap for good measure.

If you go that route, maybe try to store everything you need to get a HAM radio operational a few weeks after the EMP. But focus on not depending on power first and foremost.

get a mountain bike and one of those kid carts. Those carts can haul a shit ton of gear and go offroad. Get lots of tubes.