Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

If you want. A huge rack for less than $200 that automatically cycles the cans top to bottom is pretty nice. Most of us don't have a machine shop in the garage.
Those racks are made for moving around a smooth floor. You really don't need all that just to hold your cans. Hell, you could stack them on the floor in the basement and be done. If you want it to look nice, you don't get a commercial steel rack.

Also, if you're going to use the canned goods all the time, you're better off canning your own in big mason jars.

LOL

There is no way I could store as much as I do in the space that I store it without one of those racks.
:shrug: I'm pretty sure you'll find that a simple stacking method uses a lot less space, but none my biz, I guess. Nothing's getting into those cans, and they can sit there for decades.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:02 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Nah, carbs are a super labor intensive source of nutrition.

High protein is the way to go in an emergency... you just have to be a lot less picky about your protein sources.

A lot less picky. :twisted:

Meat and Fat are often not in people long term food storage plans. Doesn't have to be. Man has been storing protein through curing, smoking, and canning. It can be an enjoyable seasonal hobby. Plus you can make great stuff like Proscuitto

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 am

C-Mag wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Nah, carbs are a super labor intensive source of nutrition.

High protein is the way to go in an emergency... you just have to be a lot less picky about your protein sources.

Meat and Fat are often not in people long term food storage plans. Doesn't have to be. Man has been storing protein through curing, smoking, and canning. It can be an enjoyable seasonal hobby. Plus you can make great stuff like Proscuitto

I really wish I knew how to do that... mmmm.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:10 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Those racks are made for moving around a smooth floor. You really don't need all that just to hold your cans. Hell, you could stack them on the floor in the basement and be done. If you want it to look nice, you don't get a commercial steel rack.

Also, if you're going to use the canned goods all the time, you're better off canning your own in big mason jars.

LOL

There is no way I could store as much as I do in the space that I store it without one of those racks.
:shrug: I'm pretty sure you'll find that a simple stacking method uses a lot less space, but none my biz, I guess. Nothing's getting into those cans, and they can sit there for decades.

Sure, now you have a #10 can tower. Too bad it's only feasible to get the cans off the top.. God forbid the tower collapses on a child.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:13 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

LOL

Sure, now you have a #10 can tower. Too bad it's only feasible to get the cans off the top.. God forbid the tower collapses on a child.
Well, assuming that you don't have 100 different kinds of them, it should be pretty simple to stack vertically, and access whatever you want.
Those racks are pretty easy to pull over too, and much more 'climbable' in a kids mind. They're actually pretty dangerous.

Save your money, dude.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:15 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Well, assuming that you don't have 100 different kinds of them, it should be pretty simple to stack vertically, and access whatever you want.
Those racks are pretty easy to pull over too, and much more 'climbable' in a kids mind. They're actually pretty dangerous.

Save your money, dude.

Why wouldn't I have many different kinds of them?

I have two kinds of flour, rice, oats, something like four or five kinds of beans, four kinds of meats, two kinds of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, about five kinds of vegetables, three kinds of fruit. I am just going to stack all that shit in the corner of the room like a #10 Jenga tower?

Nah. I will just use racks..

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Save your money, dude.

Why wouldn't I have many different kinds of them?

I have two kinds of flour, rice, oats, something like four or five kinds of beans, four kinds of meats, two kinds of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, about five kinds of vegetables, three kinds of fruit. I am just going to stack all that shit in the corner of the room like a #10 Jenga tower?

Nah. I will just use racks..
Well, if you don’t have a basement, then buy or build a sturdy rack space, I guess. Don’t go with a rolling rack that’s going to collapse in a few years and kill you.

I’d recommend putting it all in the attic or something though, out of sight.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 am

C-Mag wrote:

You are talking about the recipe. I am talking about the source. ;)

(It was a very clever cannibalism joke, and you ruined it with your actual survival skills.)
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:29 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

I really wish I knew how to do that... mmmm.

$ 1.99 Barnes & Noble on line right now.
a readers review
I LOVED this book! I learned a lot about history, from ancient civilizations all the way to the origins of common everyday products that we take for granted every day in the 20th and 21st centuries. Loaded with details, ancient recipes, and new revelations in practically every sentence on every page, I walk away from this book with a renewed sense of awe that civilization ever got this far. Not for the timid reader, details can be overwhelming at times, but never boring. Not if you like history and the "untold story"

It's a great start in understanding how curing of foods was developed and the basics of how to do it.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

You are talking about the recipe. I am talking about the source. ;)

(It was a very clever cannibalism joke, and you ruined it with your actual survival skills.)
Yeah, I kind of figured you had your inner Hannibal Lector on. :lol: I was just pointing out that if you learned this now and get some protein stored away you can pass on the Liver, Cianti and Fava Beans. :twisted:

BTW
I understand Donner Pass snowed over earlier this year than the year of the famous dining expedition.
PLATA O PLOMO