C-Mag

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:17 pm

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Not a great example, in my opinion. Carthusians are a relatively obscure contemplative order. If you want to learn how to survive based on what monks did, I would go with somebody more like the Dominicans or Benedictines.

Even then.. that's not terribly fruitful for this topic since more than half of what you are learning is how to be a religious in one of those orders. I would instead look towards history books that describe every day life of an English yeoman or peasant.

For instance, in another thread, I was discussing how their every day activities included having to brew stout or ale. Most of the households maintained their own brewery to supply themselves. Even here in Appalachia in the 18th century, that was still going on, though they had graduated to whiskey.

You need to look at how the average family lived to work out your own plans. Chances are, none of you are going to live in a monastery, so it's not really applicable. Maybe I could after SHTF since my MILF addiction will be put on the back burners. Hard to say.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Why you can't beat the price at the grocery store. Fuckers.

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Why you can't beat the price at the grocery store. Fuckers.

What this guy does not seem to grasp is that the grocery store is on the way home from Wal-Mart. I probably am that net loss customer for both of them.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:13 pm

I found this guy, pretty good stuff

In his playlist is a series of videos of how to make the gear Otzi carried with him. Even kills a deer with the Otzi bow.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 am

C-Mag wrote:I found this guy, pretty good stuff

In his playlist is a series of videos of how to make the gear Otzi carried with him. Even kills a deer with the Otzi bow.
Good shit :cheers:

Going to give One Second After a read after this thread.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
:clap:

Yeah, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio are F'd. Not to the extent of Northeast Corridor from Richmond, VA to Agusta, Maine. That corridor would be a 200 mile swath of death and chaos. But the Rust Belt Cities would be just about as bad.
Well, in a surface-burst exchange, we're all fucked, no matter where we live. Just playing with the EMP idea, for the moment.

Without any fallout concerns, it's just a matter of food and defense. If there's enough food to go around, then defense takes a backseat. I think full breakdown would be a far smaller risk in an area like this, as there's certainly no shortage of food. There's also a strong tradition of homesteading, hunting, and preparedness. I like my chances here, better than anywhere, actually. Just need to get further out in the sticks, for isolation.

That's just it.. I think most of us would fair better with just a straight nuclear exchange. The upper Midwest would be hooped, obviously. Most of the Eastern and Western coastlines. But LOTS of the interior of CONUS has no primary, secondary, or tertiary targets anywhere nearby. Everything south of the Jet Stream isn't gong to get blanketed by the fallout from what is left of the missile fields in the upper states.

A CONUS-wide EMP would fuck us all right in the ass.

As far as food.. I don't think you grasp the gravity of the problem. Most of the food your region produces (which I admit is great in good times) cannot be repeated. That is, your professional farmers can't just harvest the food, collect the new seeds, and replant. They have to go to Monsanto every year to purchase new seeds. Nor does the organization of those huge farms really work without power. You are not going to be able to harvest giant fields without tractors, or water then without water pumps, etc.

All that bread belt stuff means jack after EMP. What matters is whether small communities can make use of the land in their immediate vicinity in time. That totally depends upon the timing of the attack.

If you were talking about places like Kanasa and Nebraska then they probably would've been better than the rest of the US. You see a while back someone posted what was allegedly a map of where they would drop their nukes (and also how many and I think it even had the yields). Places like you fabled Asheville, NC would've been nuked to the stone age with the rest of the state and also other targets in the Appalachians:

Here is the map:

Last edited by Penner on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm

That giant concentration on both the commie coasts.

Hahahahaha! FUCKING BASED

/ournukes/

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:33 pm

In the event of a full exchange like that, they could drop everything on Greenland and kill everybody in the northern hemisphere. Wouldn't even matter.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Nukedog wrote:That giant concentration on both the commie coasts.

Hahahahaha! FUCKING BASED

/ournukes/
Oregon's coast is spared while Texas burns in nuclear flames.