Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Speaker to Animals

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:39 am

For alcohol, I would go back to our ancestral roots as well:

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pwp/tofi/mediev ... h_ale.html

Since he has the land, he could grow the oats and malt himself. They listed yeast you buy, so to complete the prep, he'd need to figure out how to make that yeast while the oats and malt grow.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:For alcohol, I would go back to our ancestral roots as well:

Since he has the land, he could grow the oats and malt himself. They listed yeast you buy, so to complete the prep, he'd need to figure out how to make that yeast while the oats and malt grow.
Could always just get the village women to spit in it. ;)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:07 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:For alcohol, I would go back to our ancestral roots as well:

Could always just get the village women to spit in it. ;)
Herpes and Hepatitis C are key ingredients.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:38 pm

I just posted an image of a yeast packet because we used to get it like that and use half a packet per gallon(a teaspoon?), but you can use any old yeast at all. As a matter of fact, you don't even really need to add yeast or even sugar as yeast occurs naturally everywhere (apparently circumcision is inimical to its growth, however) and there's sugar in the fruit.
Cherries aren't really that sugary, though. The reason I thought of them is that we used to add them to our cider for flavor and color. We'd just use them like extra yeast food--nicely macerated--and when we jacked it, the cherry really came through.
Once, toward the end of the year, I took about three gallons of blackberries (they grew all over the place near our summerhouse) added the last of a bag of sugar (maybe three pounds) and a gallon of well water in a five gallon carboy, just capped it and shoved it in the closet--I forgot the yeast! It turned out fine, but a little low in alcohol--but that's easy to fix--just jack that shit up and you're drinking good old Polish blackberry brandy! :lol:
We mostly made what a twat would call hard cider--though we just called it cider--because New York really used to be the Big Apple, and, in season, the shit was cheaper than bottled water. You could literally open a gallon, drink off a couple cups, add some sugar, recap it and let it rot for a few weeks and hope for the best, but every now and then you'd get THE FUNK.
People used to make alcohol out of damn near everything. I really use to like peach wine, but that takes a some effort--crude peach jack on the other hand....

And then, this other time when I was a kid... :violence-axechase:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:I just posted an image of a yeast packet because we used to get it like that and use half a packet per gallon(a teaspoon?), but you can use any old yeast at all. As a matter of fact, you don't even really need to add yeast or even sugar as yeast occurs naturally everywhere (apparently circumcision is inimical to its growth, however) and there's sugar in the fruit.
Cherries aren't really that sugary, though. The reason I thought of them is that we used to add them to our cider for flavor and color. We'd just use them like extra yeast food--nicely macerated--and when we jacked it, the cherry really came through.
Once, toward the end of the year, I took about three gallons of blackberries (they grew all over the place near our summerhouse) added the last of a bag of sugar (maybe three pounds) and a gallon of well water in a five gallon carboy, just capped it and shoved it in the closet--I forgot the yeast! It turned out fine, but a little low in alcohol--but that's easy to fix--just jack that shit up and you're drinking good old Polish blackberry brandy! :lol:
We mostly made what a twat would call hard cider--though we just called it cider--because New York really used to be the Big Apple, and, in season, the shit was cheaper than bottled water. You could literally open a gallon, drink off a couple cups, add some sugar, recap it and let it rot for a few weeks and hope for the best, but every now and then you'd get THE FUNK.
People used to make alcohol out of damn near everything. I really use to like peach wine, but that takes a some effort--crude peach jack on the other hand....

And then, this other time when I was a kid... :violence-axechase:
Maybe I will freeze some of the cherries until the apples are ready this fall. Thanks
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:42 pm

I think he's talking about jacking. Like Apple Jacks. You freeze the cider and pull out the ice. Alcohol freezes at a much lower point.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It might be like bread yeast. My prepping plan is just to make it from scratch from the yeast in my area. It takes about 10 days to get a decent starter going. If you have no fridge, you have to keep feeding it every day, taking half of it away to make more bread.

If we are talking "preparing for uncertainty and self-reliance", then I'd suggest you figure out how to do without the yeast packets if possible. People had to make alcohol from scratch in the past somehow.
Read the chapter in Foxfire about moonshining to learn all you need to know,

https://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-Dre ... 0385073534

Not a whole lot of micro-brew shops in old Appalachia.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Nukedog wrote:I think he's talking about jacking. Like Apple Jacks. You freeze the cider and pull out the ice. Alcohol freezes at a much lower point.
Whether you jack it or not, cherry and apple still makes a nice combination--a good color and flavor. I'm not sure what "pie cherries" are, but black cherries really come through strong with cold distilling (jacking). If you wanted to make really nice, straight cherry wine, you'd have to do a lot of straining and waiting--but it would probably be worth it.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:12 pm

My grandma made dandelion wine once... it was very good

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Nukedog wrote:My grandma made dandelion wine once... it was very good
People eat 'em like salad, too. Weirdos.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751