Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

C-Mag

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:37 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Are there different special kinds of yeast? I'd expect that yeast will do what it needs to..
There are many different strains of yeast, because there are many different uses for yeast.
I've watched detainees make wine just by putting bread on top of the mix, there was enough active yeast in store bought bread to start the reaction.

But remember folks, JWR says making alcohol is not a good thing. :roll:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:40 am

C-Mag wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Are there different special kinds of yeast? I'd expect that yeast will do what it needs to..
There are many different strains of yeast, because there are many different uses for yeast.
I've watched detainees make wine just by putting bread on top of the mix, there was enough active yeast in store bought bread to start the reaction.

But remember folks, JWR says making alcohol is not a good thing. :roll:
The Jewish World Review?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 am

James Wesley Rawles, modern point man of the prepping movement
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:53 am

To add to this question how can you grow the yeast you need for baking and brewing?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:00 am

Penner wrote:
To add to this question how can you grow the yeast you need for baking and brewing?
Right off the top of my head, if you want to grow high alcohol resistance yeast, subject your mash to high alcohol to kill everything except what can withstand it.

I don't really know how it's done though, I'm not a yeast farmer... rancher. I'm not a yeast rancher. I just go down to yeast dude ranch from time to time.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:01 am

Different yeasts cope with higher alcoholic percentages, the stronger yeasts do not die off till around 18%.
There are hundreds if not thousands of varieties of yeasts used in wine making.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_in_winemaking
Some of these differences include the "vigor" or speed of fermentation, temperature tolerance, the production of volatile sulfur compounds (such as hydrogen sulfide) and other compounds that may influence the aroma of the wine.[3]
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:01 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:
Right off the top of my head, if you want to grow high alcohol resistance yeast, subject your mash to high alcohol to kill everything except what can withstand it.

I don't really know how it's done though, I'm not a yeast farmer... rancher. I'm not a yeast rancher. I just go down to yeast dude ranch from time to time.
Growing yeast is not that hard though. Same as brewing, you just let them have air. When they have air, they reproduce. Without air, they make alcohol.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:04 am

It might be like bread yeast. My prepping plan is just to make it from scratch from the yeast in my area. It takes about 10 days to get a decent starter going. If you have no fridge, you have to keep feeding it every day, taking half of it away to make more bread.

If we are talking "preparing for uncertainty and self-reliance", then I'd suggest you figure out how to do without the yeast packets if possible. People had to make alcohol from scratch in the past somehow.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 am

Used to be enough yeast in the air from pollinators and general agriculture to germinate on its own. People back then didn't really understand how it worked either.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 am

I know there is plenty of yeast in the air to bake bread.

Since GCF is already growing some wheat, he could make some extremely healthy bread by just processing the wheat himself. Ancient bread was much healthier because it had all that other wheat material in there. It was higher in protein as well, especially if you go the sourdough route.

You can also get seeds of ancient grains, which have been shown to be very healthy. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 135900.htm

Somewhere along the way we really fucked up bread. We turned what used to be a healthy food into junk food.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.