Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

C-Mag

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:55 pm

^^^ Good Tip^^^

Just got my cows delivered today. Fattening starting now. Typical fattening of cows is to feed a mix of grains, at a rate of 1-2% of body weight. The standard duration is 150 days.

I'm getting started a couple months later than I wanted to because me and my brothers all had other shit going on. But, hurdles have been crossed and I'll be looking forward to a slaughter date around May 15th.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:55 pm
^^^ Good Tip^^^

Just got my cows delivered today. Fattening starting now. Typical fattening of cows is to feed a mix of grains, at a rate of 1-2% of body weight. The standard duration is 150 days.

I'm getting started a couple months later than I wanted to because me and my brothers all had other shit going on. But, hurdles have been crossed and I'll be looking forward to a slaughter date around May 15th.
Wow that’s fast. How old are they?

Also, been daydreaming about a little cow-calf thing for beef and milk. The herdshare prices are pretty damn high - about $7/gallon.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:28 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 pm
C-Mag wrote:
^^^ Good Tip^^^

Also, been daydreaming about a little cow-calf thing for beef and milk. The herdshare prices are pretty damn high - about $7/gallon.
They are two year olds, kinda smallish right now about 800 lbs. I'm looking for an average 2-2.5 lbs a day weight gain over that period. It takes on average 7 lbs of grain to put on 1 lbs of meat and fat.
If I can get them over 1100 lbs by then I'll be satisfied, I'd like to be pushing 1200 lbs though.

Cow calf operation with milk is great. It's a ton of work, but you will be very pleased with the milk. If you get set up. Plan on making a lot of butter and cream. You'll have more milk than you know what to do with.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:14 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:28 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 pm
C-Mag wrote:
^^^ Good Tip^^^

They are two year olds, kinda smallish right now about 800 lbs. I'm looking for an average 2-2.5 lbs a day weight gain over that period. It takes on average 7 lbs of grain to put on 1 lbs of meat and fat.
If I can get them over 1100 lbs by then I'll be satisfied, I'd like to be pushing 1200 lbs though.

Cow calf operation with milk is great. It's a ton of work, but you will be very pleased with the milk. If you get set up. Plan on making a lot of butter and cream. You'll have more milk than you know what to do with.
Yeah we’re currently getting 6 gallons a week from the herdshare. Making butter and whipped cream all the time and it’s amazing. The kids drink all of the milk, so haven’t had a chance to try cheese-making yet.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:29 am

A couple of hundred bucks buys you a hand cranked ice cream maker.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325146130839
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 pm

Looking for creative ideas to stop asshats from partying on my land.

I’ve got 9 acres rural. 7 are open, 2 are wooded with a creek running across. Still trying to figure out some kind of bridge option, long term.

Ive done a lot of work clearing out old debris - traffic barrel, wicker furniture, railroad ties, carpet. This winter, I’ve found fresh bud light cans and a wooden door frame along the creek. Not sure what I can do about it, without running a fence across the creek. I have plans to build a perimeter fence this spring anyway, but was only going to surround the open area in the back.

What to do here? Are trail cams enough? I have a neighbor behind me, but don’t really know him well. He has a tree stand right up against the property line.

Spray paint the trees? Pile up deadwood on the property line? Land mines?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 pm
Looking for creative ideas to stop asshats from partying on my land.

I’ve got 9 acres rural. 7 are open, 2 are wooded with a creek running across. Still trying to figure out some kind of bridge option, long term.

Ive done a lot of work clearing out old debris - traffic barrel, wicker furniture, railroad ties, carpet. This winter, I’ve found fresh bud light cans and a wooden door frame along the creek. Not sure what I can do about it, without running a fence across the creek. I have plans to build a perimeter fence this spring anyway, but was only going to surround the open area in the back.

What to do here? Are trail cams enough? I have a neighbor behind me, but don’t really know him well. He has a tree stand right up against the property line.

Spray paint the trees? Pile up deadwood on the property line? Land mines?
It's your karma for racing cars around someone else's woodland in your youth.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:04 pm

First thing, go talk to your neighbor, get to know him. Ask if he has the same problem.

I'm going to think on the rest, there's a number of ways to react.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:01 pm

Sooo we finally put our 2 IPP pigs down and hauled them to a local deer processor that kindly offered to show me the ropes. Today, we put the bellies and hams to cure, and started our sausage/salami grinding.

I’m experimenting with wet and dry curing on the bellies/hams. Going to hang some cappicolas tomorrow.

That was an absolute ton of work. Hopefully the end product is worth it. I can definitely see the difference in the meat color.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:45 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:01 pm
Sooo we finally put our 2 IPP pigs down and hauled them to a local deer processor that kindly offered to show me the ropes. Today, we put the bellies and hams to cure, and started our sausage/salami grinding.

I’m experimenting with wet and dry curing on the bellies/hams. Going to hang some cappicolas tomorrow.

That was an absolute ton of work. Hopefully the end product is worth it. I can definitely see the difference in the meat color.
Very cool! How much meat did you end up with?