Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:06 am

Excellent story
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 am

Good work my Hawaiian friend :clap:
Butchering is a great skill to learn. I've never shot or field dressed a wild hog, though it's on my list. Dealing with animals in the field is tough work, that's all there is to it. I can tell you some ugly stories. In my parts some people that slaughter hogs hang them, and use a big propane torch to sere off all the hair. It works great, not sure how that would work with a wild hog and all the extra hair, but you might consider giving it try. Hogs are a lot easier to handle and work with once you get the hair off.

Did you half the animal or quarter it or bone it out ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:01 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 am
Good work my Hawaiian friend :clap:
Butchering is a great skill to learn. I've never shot or field dressed a wild hog, though it's on my list. Dealing with animals in the field is tough work, that's all there is to it. I can tell you some ugly stories. In my parts some people that slaughter hogs hang them, and use a big propane torch to sere off all the hair. It works great, not sure how that would work with a wild hog and all the extra hair, but you might consider giving it try. Hogs are a lot easier to handle and work with once you get the hair off.

Did you half the animal or quarter it or bone it out ?
It was a bit of a rough go because I couldn't get her all the way up in the air. I guess I would say that I quartered it. I was only going to take the hind end but in for a penny in for a pound so I did the front end on the ground. I fucked up on getting the backstraps just because it was in such an awkward position. All that I left was the spine, a section of ribs that was bloodshot from the arrow, skin and head. I would have liked to get into the cheek meat and whatever other meat I could find but it was getting a bit muddy and messy. I have to do some research on the organ meat too.

I'll be better prepared next time with a tarp and some other things like WATER. I spent all night planning in my head on how to do it better. :lol:

I know exactly what you are talking about with the propane torch. It would have been a lot easier with a hairless hog but these guys are pretty shaggy. I'm not sure It would burn off very well, everyone I see around here just skins them. It is a really heavy coat so I am now wondering what one could do with that, if anything.

All in all it was fun, I can't wait to finish processing the meat and get some smoked up.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:51 am

Haumana wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:01 am

It was a bit of a rough go because I couldn't get her all the way up in the air. I guess I would say that I quartered it. I was only going to take the hind end but in for a penny in for a pound so I did the front end on the ground. I fucked up on getting the backstraps just because it was in such an awkward position. All that I left was the spine, a section of ribs that was bloodshot from the arrow, skin and head. I would have liked to get into the cheek meat and whatever other meat I could find but it was getting a bit muddy and messy. I have to do some research on the organ meat too.

I'll be better prepared next time with a tarp and some other things like WATER. I spent all night planning in my head on how to do it better. :lol:

I know exactly what you are talking about with the propane torch. It would have been a lot easier with a hairless hog but these guys are pretty shaggy. I'm not sure It would burn off very well, everyone I see around here just skins them. It is a really heavy coat so I am now wondering what one could do with that, if anything.

All in all it was fun, I can't wait to finish processing the meat and get some smoked up.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!
It looks like people do torch them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1Gwf6G3Io
Likely a lot more methods of this.

Getting them hung makes life a lot easier. Hung high with a 4:1 pulley system so you are always working at a comfortable level is the best, but not always possible. Water in butchering is pretty critical, when I hunt I carry a military water jug that has a trickle cap. You can just lay it on the tailgate and water will trickle out.

Maybe you just have to field gut them, then take them home and have a place set up to hang and properly do the rest?

Getting backstraps in one piece is nice, but there's not a lot of waste if they are cut. Pork loin is where Canadian Bacon comes from :handgestures-thumbup:

Is heat a problem for you ? I know on warmer days here I will put bags of ice in the chest cavity to cool the meat, typicall a couple on the hind quarters, works well while you are transporting and protects the meat.

You're a smart guy, you'll have this down with a few more runs.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:51 am

It looks like people do torch them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1Gwf6G3Io
Likely a lot more methods of this.

Getting them hung makes life a lot easier. Hung high with a 4:1 pulley system so you are always working at a comfortable level is the best, but not always possible. Water in butchering is pretty critical, when I hunt I carry a military water jug that has a trickle cap. You can just lay it on the tailgate and water will trickle out.

Maybe you just have to field gut them, then take them home and have a place set up to hang and properly do the rest?

Getting backstraps in one piece is nice, but there's not a lot of waste if they are cut. Pork loin is where Canadian Bacon comes from :handgestures-thumbup:

Is heat a problem for you ? I know on warmer days here I will put bags of ice in the chest cavity to cool the meat, typicall a couple on the hind quarters, works well while you are transporting and protects the meat.

You're a smart guy, you'll have this down with a few more runs.
I would give that torch method a go on a little one that I could roast whole!

Here are the fruits. About 30+ pounds of clean pork. 3 full leg shanks ( I broke one down for roasts and dog food), 1 1/2 rack of ribs, 2 tenderloins. I passed around some roasts and the front shank to the neighbors. Now I am going to smoke a shank probably overnight tonight into tomorrow.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:46 pm

I’m hungry
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Haumana wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm

:clap:
Not as dark colored meat as I expected.

What is the taste comparison to domestic pork ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:56 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:06 pm
Haumana wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm

:clap:
Not as dark colored meat as I expected.

What is the taste comparison to domestic pork ?
We only tasted it boiled, with no seasoning, which is how we prepare the meat for the dogs. It was still pretty tasty, not gamey at all, and way more flavorful than store bought pork that we usually boil up. It didn't go all white like domestic pork, still had lots of color almost like a turkey dark meat color. I'll have better feedback in a couple of days after a nice long slow and low cook but so far so good!

Dude said I am on speed dial for the next one he shoots. I'm thinking that this will become a regular supply line for meat. There are no end to the pigs right where he is at, his property abuts an area that has been closed to the public for almost a decade so the pigs just filter out to root on his and his neighbor's properties. Zero pressure from regular hunting.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Home Protein production and processing: Introduction
This will be a series to help you get started putting up protein. It's easily the most expensive part of your grocery bill. The elites don't want you on a high protein diet, they want you on a high carb and soy diet because it makes you compliant. Listen to Dangerous History #087, Grain and the State.
I will headline them in Green in case you want to reference them. I'm assuming some of you know some of this and practice it yourself, but I'm trying to keep it basic.

I'll touch on Fowl, Swine, Deer and Beef, maybe some others. But I'm going to jump right to the quick starter that you can do today.

Basic Butchery Tool - The most basic tool is your brain coupled with your hands. This is a craft that needs to be studied and practiced. But quite enjoyable and can save us all money. After the software is ready comes hardware.

A Knife - everything can be done with a knife, but takes more skill to do a good job, but it all can be done with a knife. I'll recommend a cheap but efficient knife that will take a decent edge. The $18 Chicago Cutlery boning knife https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery- ... B0000BYEJB
If I had to choose one knife under 20 bucks to do this, that's the one. You can get a really good knife for $40.

More on tools later. Now on to the best place to start with home butchery.

The quickest and easiest way to save on protein at the store is to go to a bulk store and buy a large cut of meat that you can get at a discount, and make finished cuts out of it. I recommend starting with a Chuck Roast a couple inches thick. Pick out the best Chuck Roast you can find. Right now you might find them for $7/lbs and Chuck Steaks for eight or nine. It's mostly the same meat, just in a larger size.
Here's a video I found on a method.

Bang for the buck on steaks, go with Chuck Roasts cut into steaks at home. Chuck sections have more flavor and are often just as tender as other steaks. If you want to save money and eat pretty well the most versatile part of the animal is the Chuck Section. Get to know it.

That's the intro. More later.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:39 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:07 pm
Home Protein production and processing: Introduction
This will be a series to help you get started putting up protein. It's easily the most expensive part of your grocery bill. The elites don't want you on a high protein diet, they want you on a high carb and soy diet because it makes you compliant. Listen to Dangerous History #087, Grain and the State.
I will headline them in Green in case you want to reference them. I'm assuming some of you know some of this and practice it yourself, but I'm trying to keep it basic.

I'll touch on Fowl, Swine, Deer and Beef, maybe some others. But I'm going to jump right to the quick starter that you can do today.

Basic Butchery Tool - The most basic tool is your brain coupled with your hands. This is a craft that needs to be studied and practiced. But quite enjoyable and can save us all money. After the software is ready comes hardware.

A Knife - everything can be done with a knife, but takes more skill to do a good job, but it all can be done with a knife. I'll recommend a cheap but efficient knife that will take a decent edge. The $18 Chicago Cutlery boning knife https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery- ... B0000BYEJB
If I had to choose one knife under 20 bucks to do this, that's the one. You can get a really good knife for $40.

More on tools later. Now on to the best place to start with home butchery.

The quickest and easiest way to save on protein at the store is to go to a bulk store and buy a large cut of meat that you can get at a discount, and make finished cuts out of it. I recommend starting with a Chuck Roast a couple inches thick. Pick out the best Chuck Roast you can find. Right now you might find them for $7/lbs and Chuck Steaks for eight or nine. It's mostly the same meat, just in a larger size.
Here's a video I found on a method.

Bang for the buck on steaks, go with Chuck Roasts cut into steaks at home. Chuck sections have more flavor and are often just as tender as other steaks. If you want to save money and eat pretty well the most versatile part of the animal is the Chuck Section. Get to know it.

That's the intro. More later.
Nice start. When we were in California there was an outlet called Smart & Final (a pseudo restaurant/individual outlet) and we would regularly get their vac pacs of primal cuts to divvy out on our own. I am slowly weening her in to butchering our own meat.