Post by ssu » Fri May 12, 2017 1:18 am

Back to the topic, a big Russian tank still working:

There's something so 1930's in these!

Hastur

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by Hastur » Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 am

David Fletcher's back.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

ssu

Post by ssu » Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Hastur,

Have you looked at the "Inside Tanks" series with Richard Cutland?

If not, I recommend it. Even if at first the backdrop seems to be the rather arcade-game like "World of Tanks" game and wargaming net, don't let that fool you, this guy really gets in an shows how the tanks operate. Now this is really, really detailed walk-a-rounds inside-how-to-operate talk given on the tanks by a former tank commander. What I like about the way it's done is that the guy really shows things like basic controls, how to operate the weapons, how to check things on the tank, maintain it etc.

Let's start with the Tiger I, to give an example:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Both old and more modern tanks are examined in the series.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri May 12, 2017 2:51 pm

ssu wrote:Hastur,

Have you looked at the "Inside Tanks" series with Richard Cutland?

If not, I recommend it. Even if at first the backdrop seems to be the rather arcade-game like "World of Tanks" game and wargaming net, don't let that fool you, this guy really gets in an shows how the tanks operate. Now this is really, really detailed walk-a-rounds inside-how-to-operate talk given on the tanks by a former tank commander. What I like about the way it's done is that the guy really shows things like basic controls, how to operate the weapons, how to check things on the tank, maintain it etc.

Let's start with the Tiger I, to give an example:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Both old and more modern tanks are examined in the series.
I play a lot of WOT. Well, at least for a 49 yo. I think it's great that Wargaming uses some of their proceeds to make quality content like this. I've paid them a lot of money over the years so to me this stuff is like bonus material.
Love It.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri May 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Also The Chieftain's Hatch, he has covered a lot of armor.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri May 12, 2017 7:44 pm

ssu wrote:Back to the topic, a big Russian tank still working:

There's something so 1930's in these!
Literally a "landship" with little turrets sprouting up everywhere. Totally 1930's.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 13, 2017 10:34 am

@ Hastur
I have haven't done any gaming since Day of Defeat came out, but WOT is the shit.
Just finally got my Tiger I. The poster child of WWII Tanks. Now I just need to get a really good Historic Skin for it, and the others. I found a couple, but haven't tried to install them yet. My tanks I'm primarily running now.

Tiger I
SU-85 AT
M4E3 - I think
B1 - Frenchy
Vk 28, German Light/Med tank, fast as hell and packs a punch too

I should work up to a T-34 as well, haven't gotten to it, and I have not played any Brit tanks. It's on the bucket list.

My handle: Horseman
Clan: Hells Horseman (H2)
Play time: Nothing solid, whenever I get to it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat May 13, 2017 1:41 pm

C-Mag wrote:@ Hastur
I have haven't done any gaming since Day of Defeat came out, but WOT is the shit.
Just finally got my Tiger I. The poster child of WWII Tanks. Now I just need to get a really good Historic Skin for it, and the others. I found a couple, but haven't tried to install them yet. My tanks I'm primarily running now.

Tiger I
SU-85 AT
M4E3 - I think
B1 - Frenchy
Vk 28, German Light/Med tank, fast as hell and packs a punch too

I should work up to a T-34 as well, haven't gotten to it, and I have not played any Brit tanks. It's on the bucket list.

My handle: Horseman
Clan: Hells Horseman (H2)
Play time: Nothing solid, whenever I get to it.
My first recommendation is always to go for the Soviet heavy line and the British mediums.

ssu

Post by ssu » Sat May 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Have to say I've allways been a fan of the Operation Flashpoint & the ARMA series. I tend not to like the control-from-behind-and-see-everything type of games (even if in the ARMA series you can play like that).

Best play ever has to be when I visited as a reservist the local Armoured Brigade here where they had the old Steel Beasts game with actual Finnish countryside (near the garrison) linked to actual Leopard 2 controls. And the reservist in my tank was a tank commander, who could easily get me and another reservist to operate as a team. After that one really should play any tank Simulator with a tank crew.

Has anybody here had the actual chance of driving a tank or an armoured vehicle? I've only been a passenger.