Would You Choose More Money or Less Hours?

Speaker to Animals

Re: Would You Choose More Money or Less Hours?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 pm

Anybody can see that your idea ignores human nature. Humans want to build things that outlast them. It's why we build great architectural works, and masterpieces of art, or scientific theories that send humans to new frontiers. That drive is what causes people to want to build great economic empires as well, upon which we all depend or enjoy using today.

There would be no point in doing that if your policy were made law. The incentive would be for people to achieve enough success to retire and spend all their money before they die. Jeff Bezos could have retired fifteen years ago, since he couldn't possibly spend all the money he has made since then. Which means no Blue Horizons which builds American rockets that can actually return to the Earth and land on their own thrust. Instead of helping to expand the United States into space, he would have taken that initial capital and spent on vacations, yachts, and gambling for the past fifteen years. Why bother building anything more?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:31 pm

Dude, really, R U lecturing me on business motivations?! (Do you never feel embarrassed?)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:35 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Dude, really, R U lecturing me on business motivations?! (Do you never feel embarrassed?)

Don't be arrogant. How much money either of us made in life doesn't validate or invalidate the argument, but a propensity to fallacious comments might reflect poorly on your own.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Dude, you need to have some experience in that which you claim to be an expert; definitely verses someone who has.

Though I like you, and your insight is good, swinging for the fences on every ball is foolish.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:51 pm

I just realized today that the King Salmon I caught in Alaska when I was a kid was technically worth 1.2k to the consumer in California. On the high side at least. Someone said that they fetch between 12-20 dollars a pound in California.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:02 am

Martin Hash wrote:Dude, you need to have some experience in that which you claim to be an expert; definitely verses someone who has.

Though I like you, and your insight is good, swinging for the fences on every ball is foolish.

I made an argument. That's not "claiming to be an expert". Your replies to that argument have been two fallacies (ad hominem and appeal to authority). Not a legitimate reply.

If you don't like the argument, then try to refute it.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 am

It's up to the lurkers now. Nothing more to be said.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Selling this on the premise that only the super rich would be impacted is disengenous, the super rich would offshore their money in tax havens, the people who would get dinged with your inheretence tax, would be the middle class, parents try to leave their house to their kids, and here comes Comrade Hash to confiscate it for the Big Gov, who would do what with it? F-35 program? AIG bailout? Iraq War?

Derp.

Your parents will you their property, you are forced to sell, it sells for $500K, Comrade Marty Hash confiscates $450K, which goes to Lockheed Martin, and you get $50K; how you like them apples, America? Yeah, no, I didn't think so.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 am

Hey, you already support an aristocracy.

The cognitive dissonance is: people want an aristocracy but then complain about it. Okay, that's what we got now, stop complaining.