The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

The Conservative

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 am

C-Mag wrote:I've always wanted one, our finest combat rifle ever made.
If you want to spend another $800-$1000 you can put a Sage Tactical Frame on it and make it pretty much the same thing as the EBR-Enhanced Battle Rifle.
I have some money coming to me in a little while, I could easily swing that, either by this year or next... I'd love to take that out to the range and shoot...
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 am

It's a beast. Pick one up and it sets you back a little. I think loaded they are around 14 lbs, as opposed to an AR-15 or a Model 700 Remington at about half the weight. To folks that have never carried that around for a day in the mountains, it's an education. I took my Dad's M1 Garand Elk hunting once for a couple days. You get used to it, but it's a load.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am

C-Mag wrote:It's a beast. Pick one up and it sets you back a little. I think loaded they are around 14 lbs, as opposed to an AR-15 or a Model 700 Remington at about half the weight. To folks that have never carried that around for a day in the mountains, it's an education. I took my Dad's M1 Garand Elk hunting once for a couple days. You get used to it, but it's a load.
I have a backpack fully equipped that weighs less than 30lbs... with that, I'll still be under 50lbs... I think I can deal with it.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 am

A 14 lbs battle rifle, with ammunition in your pack, is going to be a lot to carry for long distance if you don't constantly train at marching with heavy loads. Also consider the water you need to carry.

When people say they have 35 lbs bugout bags, I often wonder if they considered water, rifle, and ammunition. I try to shoot for around 35 lbs too, but I do so knowing that if I want to carry a day or two's worth of water, a rifle, and ammunition, that's going to be closer to 60 lbs.

Plan for hikes once per week and load your pack with some free weights. Or just try to carry a large amount of water. Get used to marching a good ten to fifteen miles with +50 lbs on your back, because I promise you it's not as easy as it sounds if you don't do it all the time.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:A 14 lbs battle rifle, with ammunition in your pack, is going to be a lot to carry for long distance if you don't constantly train at marching with heavy loads. Also consider the water you need to carry.

When people say they have 35 lbs bugout bags, I often wonder if they considered water, rifle, and ammunition. I try to shoot for around 35 lbs too, but I do so knowing that if I want to carry a day or two's worth of water, a rifle, and ammunition, that's going to be closer to 60 lbs.
When I say 30 lbs I mean 30 lbs... The bag equipment (including tent, backpack, and other materials) weighs 26lbs... water, food, brings it to 30 lbs...and I used to camp quite a bit when I was younger.

I walk a few miles a day to and from work, so if I have to, I am sure I could do a slog if I had to, but realistically if I ever needed to do something like "bugout" I wouldn't be doing it fast and hard, I would be going slow and cautious... so speed on foot really wouldn't matter initially. After a safe distance, perhaps, but not at first.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:49 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:A 14 lbs battle rifle, with ammunition in your pack, is going to be a lot to carry for long distance if you don't constantly train at marching with heavy loads. Also consider the water you need to carry.

When I say 30 lbs I mean 30 lbs... The bag equipment (including tent, backpack, and other materials) weighs 26lbs... water, food, brings it to 30 lbs...and I used to camp quite a bit when I was younger, I walk a few miles a day to and from work, so if I have to, I am sure I could do a slog if I had to, but realistically if I ever needed to do something like "bugout" I wouldn't be doing it fast and hard, I would be going slow and cautious... so speed on foot really wouldn't matter initially. After a safe distance, perhaps, but not at first.

Well, you are dead in most hypothetical scenarios. That's like maybe a 40 oz canteen of water? LOL. Try again.

This is especially true for you. You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a wife and son. You should be thinking in terms of gallons of potable water, man.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:52 am

The Conservative wrote:
C-Mag wrote:It's a beast. Pick one up and it sets you back a little. I think loaded they are around 14 lbs, as opposed to an AR-15 or a Model 700 Remington at about half the weight. To folks that have never carried that around for a day in the mountains, it's an education. I took my Dad's M1 Garand Elk hunting once for a couple days. You get used to it, but it's a load.
I have a backpack fully equipped that weighs less than 30lbs... with that, I'll still be under 50lbs... I think I can deal with it.
My pack that I use regularly is an old Medium Alice pack. My standard load is 32 - 35 lbs with 4 qts of water that weighs 8 lbs. That's pretty bare food, mostly nuts, Cliff Bars, Lipton Chicken noodle soup packs and maybe a can of spam or some summer sausage.(gotta have Fat). For sleeping, it's the Ranger Taco, the only real luxury is my JetBoil. With that load I'm good for 3 days without resupply. With resupply of food and a water source I'm good for a couple weeks. It's a tested and true kit. When you add a weapon and ammo and push around the 50 lbs, it really slows me down. I'll leave those packs over 50 lbs to the 21 and bullet proof studs. Not for me anymore. But with my standard pack, I can out walk a lot of folks over the course of a day(s).
PLATA O PLOMO

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:59 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

When I say 30 lbs I mean 30 lbs... The bag equipment (including tent, backpack, and other materials) weighs 26lbs... water, food, brings it to 30 lbs...and I used to camp quite a bit when I was younger, I walk a few miles a day to and from work, so if I have to, I am sure I could do a slog if I had to, but realistically if I ever needed to do something like "bugout" I wouldn't be doing it fast and hard, I would be going slow and cautious... so speed on foot really wouldn't matter initially. After a safe distance, perhaps, but not at first.

Well, you are dead in most hypothetical scenarios. That's like maybe a 40 oz canteen of water? LOL. Try again.

This is especially true for you. You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a wife and son. You should be thinking in terms of gallons of potable water, man.
My bugout bag is for me to get back to my family... it's as simple as that. 30 miles... I would eat some dried foods, etc, and have about a gallon of water on me...

Gallon of water weight a little over 8 lbs, 26+15 lets say, equals 41 lbs, that gives me a gallon of water and a lbs and some of dried foods... more than enough for a day or two worth of travel.

Also water collection at night to rebuild the water used during the day... I'm more fine than most... also I know how to take care of myself in hard situations, training helps...

When I get to my family, I would be thinking of gallons, and have... we have a basement and a sub-basement... where do you think they would be if all hell broke loose? It's already taken care of in my case... I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Also lets be realistic, if anything ever goes south, I expect my wife to take the car and get out of dodge... I'd meet up with her later if I could.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Also, lets be real, my bag weighs 26 lbs without a gun... so for now since I don't have it, I'd have an extra 10 to 20 lbs for food and water if I really needed that much for 2 days trip.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

Water is critical. I have a life straw, I've used it, it's OK. But most the time I'm in the mountains and I just drink directly from the stream. As long as it's good clear moving water.

I'll tell you, one of the things I've learned from going hiking or camping with different people is that people that don't do it often are at least sore and are probably going to get hurt somehow. And someone will definitely get a burn if you have a fire. So in my small ruck, I dedicate on of large outside pouches to nothing but Meds and 1st Aid. Critical stuff to have.........
Lidocaine Burn ointment
Anti-Diahreal meds
Ibuprofen/Aspirin - whatever you prefer I have both
Benydryl
tourniquet
sam splint
Ace Bandage
Iodine, to name a few
I also take vitamins, which are a great supplement

This stuff is especially important when travelling with women and children in my experience, if for no other reason than my sanity. I'm telling you when a kid get's their finger burned and you can fix it, awesome, cause you don't have to listen to 'em whine about it.
You don't take away all the discomfort or pain, but it helps mentally a lot................ for everyone.
PLATA O PLOMO