The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Hastur

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Hastur » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:11 am

C-Mag wrote:What I've read is
87,000 M1 Garand
220,000 M1 Carbine
Nearly 1 Million of these types of weapons.

Talk is that it include Russian SVT 40s

and German Gewer 43s
No Beretta BM 59?

I always liked the look of that gun.

Basically a y a shortened, rechambered M1 (NATO-standard 7.62×51mm) fitted with a removable 20-round magazine, folding bipod and a combined muzzle brake/flash suppressor. I heard they are surprisingly accurate.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:16 am

Just give me a good, reliable sniper rifle, and I'll be happy... give me a rifle that can be multi-purpose, and I'll be ecstatic...
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 am

The Conservative wrote:Just give me a good, reliable sniper rifle, and I'll be happy... give me a rifle that can be multi-purpose, and I'll be ecstatic...

This?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... out-squad/

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:Just give me a good, reliable sniper rifle, and I'll be happy... give me a rifle that can be multi-purpose, and I'll be ecstatic...

This?

Not a bad concept, it still can't reach out and touch someone like I'd like to see though. Mid range though I'd be happy with it.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:21 am

Hastur wrote: No Beretta BM 59?

I always liked the look of that gun.

Basically a y a shortened, rechambered M1 (NATO-standard 7.62×51mm) fitted with a removable 20-round magazine, folding bipod and a combined muzzle brake/flash suppressor. I heard they are surprisingly accurate.
I seriously doubt it, but like I say it's hard to know.
The US realized the shortcomings of the M1 Garand even during WWII and came up with a bunch of different modifications, including one very similar to the M-59. But the US didn't go anywhere with it, opting to evolve the M1 into the M14 instead of modifying all the M1s. Which is different than how the US and Britain handled things in the 19th C. Both the British and Americans took their mid-century muzzle loaders and retooled a bunch of them to take cartridges. If I'm not mistaken, most of the early British Colonial troops in Africa carried these re-tooled weapons, and had some serious field failures with them.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

This?

Not a bad concept, it still can't reach out and touch someone like I'd like to see though. Mid range though I'd be happy with it.
Don't know what ranges you want, but that is easily an 800 meter rifle for a practiced marksman. I'm not a super sniper or anything, but I was on a military shooting team for a short time, and even with basic M16A2 rack weapons, with practice it was nothing to hold 12 inch groups at 400 or 500 meters. Even be accurate at 600 meters. Not much on that train when it gets there, but that's another topic.

Personally for me, I don't see myself attempting shots over 600 yds, even with my 300 Win Mag, the drop is 6'-7' and a wind drift (@ 10 mph) of 3'-4' , depending on the load. It takes practice, skill and knowledge of the environmental affects on the bullet and the proper adjustments. The short barreled .308 scout is probably going to lose several hundred feet per second in velocity. It's just a different adjustment. Whatever you are shooting, if you are shooting at 300 meters or more; make dope sheet and tape it to your rifle. Then you will have the adjustments handy. Don't forget to note the load on it.
PLATA O PLOMO

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:09 am

C-Mag wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Don't know what ranges you want, but that is easily an 800 meter rifle for a practiced marksman. I'm not a super sniper or anything, but I was on a military shooting team for a short time, and even with basic M16A2 rack weapons, with practice it was nothing to hold 12 inch groups at 400 or 500 meters. Even be accurate at 600 meters. Not much on that train when it gets there, but that's another topic.

Personally for me, I don't see myself attempting shots over 600 yds, even with my 300 Win Mag, the drop is 6'-7' and a wind drift (@ 10 mph) of 3'-4' , depending on the load. It takes practice, skill and knowledge of the environmental affects on the bullet and the proper adjustments. The short barreled .308 scout is probably going to lose several hundred feet per second in velocity. It's just a different adjustment. Whatever you are shooting, if you are shooting at 300 meters or more; make dope sheet and tape it to your rifle. Then you will have the adjustments handy. Don't forget to note the load on it.
I used to shoot dry sight with my father at 400m ranges... I probably need a scope for it now, but we used to shoot at 800m with a simple scope, so I'd like to think my ability was pretty good... I may not be shooting at those ranges normally, but I want a rifle that can shoot at at least 1000m and still be used if required for your standard mid-range combat... close range, well... I got a few things already for that. (not including knives)
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:58 am

Well, I'd say this is your weapon then, M1A National Match, good optics and Match Grade Ammo

Here is that weapons quickly engaging a series of targets from 1000 meters to 250 meters

M1A National Match: $2000
Mil Dot 4-12: $1500
10 MilSpec Magazines $ 200
1000 rds Match Grade Ammo $1500
Range Time and Misc. $300

For the tidy investment of $5500 you can be off an running shooting 1000 meter targets with a combat weapon for close range too.
PLATA O PLOMO

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:14 am

C-Mag wrote:Well, I'd say this is your weapon then, M1A National Match, good optics and Match Grade Ammo

Here is that weapons quickly engaging a series of targets from 1000 meters to 250 meters

M1A National Match: $2000
Mil Dot 4-12: $1500
10 MilSpec Magazines $ 200
1000 rds Match Grade Ammo $1500
Range Time and Misc. $300

For the tidy investment of $5500 you can be off an running shooting 1000 meter targets with a combat weapon for close range too.
That looks like the puppy I'm looking for, that looks fun.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am

I've always wanted one, our finest combat rifle ever made.
If you want to spend another $800-$1000 you can put a Sage Tactical Frame on it and make it pretty much the same thing as the EBR-Enhanced Battle Rifle.
PLATA O PLOMO