The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 pm

I know exactly where he is too. It's a desert road right outside base that connect near Boise about twenty miles away. He's on the portion on the other side of the road to base that stretches out near the Snake River canyon.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:09 pm

^Idaho is a great state

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Toying with the idea of something like this for a bit of rat hunting on the farm.
https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-p ... istol/1259

625 fps spring powered.
Is it legal to use air rifles for pest control over there? Because it's illegal here.
Yeah.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Toying with the idea of something like this for a bit of rat hunting on the farm.
https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-p ... istol/1259

625 fps spring powered.
Is it legal to use air rifles for pest control over there? Because it's illegal here.
Yeah perfectly legal for rats, you couldn't use one for larger pests such as muntjac deer.
Can't hurt game with bows but I don't think you would get in trouble using one on pest species.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Montegriffo wrote: Yeah perfectly legal for rats, you couldn't use one for larger pests such as muntjac deer.
Can't hurt game with bows but I don't think you would get in trouble using one on pest species.
Nice. I'm starting to think you guys actually have better gun laws than we do, after the new gun law here. Crossbows, .50 cal, airguns for pest control, no limit on the amount of guns you can own for hunting. Legal in Britain, but not here.

Well, at least we aren't subjected to mandatory annual inspections yet, and handguns are still legal, so still prefer my country's laws. But we're getting to a bad point it seems.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 am

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Yeah perfectly legal for rats, you couldn't use one for larger pests such as muntjac deer.
Nice. I'm starting to think you guys actually have better gun laws than we do, after the new gun law here. Crossbows, .50 cal, airguns for pest control, no limit on the amount of guns you can own for hunting. Legal in Britain, but not here.

Well, at least we aren't subjected to mandatory annual inspections yet, and handguns are still legal, so still prefer my country's laws. But we're getting to a bad point it seems.
What's wrong with annual checks?
Makes sure you are complying with the regulations. Also, why would you want a handgun?

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 am

Montegriffo wrote: What's wrong with annual checks?
Makes sure you are complying with the regulations. Also, why would you want a handgun?
Annual checks is a waste of resources. As long as people prove they have a gun safe, that should be enough, if gun safes are required. Annual checks is basically harassment of the law abiding, and won't do anything to deter crime. If the police suspect something, sure, do a check. But mandatory annual checks is way too much of a drain on police resources, for very little, if any gain. One household might take two hours to do, especially in rural areas, where the police station is far away. And you probably need two officers to do the check. Then the paperwork back at the station to confirm that it's still according to regulations. No reason to believe a gun safe that was bolted down last year, has moved, if the gun owner still live in the same house.

Britain has fewer gun owners per capita than Norway, and not that large distances, so it's not THAT much of a drain there as it would be here. But it's still an unnecessary drain. Especially when they have to go to that sixty year old guy having an over/under shotgun, with a perfect criminal record, and good mental health, who has been doing everything according to regulations for the past 40 years.

Police time and resources could be better spent elsewhere. Like doing preventive work with at risk youth, road safety, working with the community. British police do a lot of that already, but this is the sort of stuff that you could get more benefits out of limited resources.

For my first gun permit, I just had to show the proof of purchase of a certified gun safe. And that's ok, because they're mandatory here too. But for my second gun permit, I didn't have to show it, because they already knew I had a gun safe. They didn't check the apartment or anything like that, because it would be a waste of resources, since I'm having a perfect record, and there's no reason to believe I'm doing anything wrong. They still can check, if they suspect anything, but it's not mandatory. Cops really have more important things to do.

Basically, mandatory annual checks make society less safe, as it forces the police to spend resources that could've been spent better elsewhere.

Also, handguns can be fun. I want to get a Luger because I love WW2 history. And Lugers are cheap here. Haven't had time to take a course yet though.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:04 am

I like the checks because they stop people being sloppy. Just because you have a gun safe doesn't mean you keep your unloaded gun locked in it. Knowing that you can be visited, without warning at any point in time helps to stop people being lazy and leaving their guns unsecured. This in turn helps cut down accidents and theft of guns.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 am

Montegriffo wrote:I like the checks because they stop people being sloppy. Just because you have a gun safe doesn't mean you keep your unloaded gun locked in it. Knowing that you can be visited, without warning at any point in time helps to stop people being lazy and leaving their guns unsecured. This in turn helps cut down accidents and theft of guns.
They probably do it with warning. They don't knock down doors whenever someone isn't home to see if their safe is stored correctly. So it really serves no practical purpose.

It's state sanctioned harassment.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 am

You do get warning of your annual inspection but they can also come at anytime in-between.
Gun ownership is a privilege not a right and you have to earn that privilege.
It's not harassment, it's law enforcement.