The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Montegriffo

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

If you get a crossbow, I am petitioning HM to remove your English citizenship.

Even I have a longbow.
I used to have a single handed crossbow with a 40lb draw. Neat little weapon, I wouldn't want one pointed at me.

I've wanted a Longbow ever since I read Thomas of Hookton. I'm determined to go on a course and make my own though. There are several weekend courses around but I just don't seem to find the time.

You might as well just purchase one. You can get one in America for a few hundred dollars that is pretty good. 40 lbs draw is not enough for anything but a toy, though. You need minimum 50 lbs to hunt small game here. Our ancestors wielded warbows with nearly 200 lbs draw weight.
Close quarters my old crossbow would take you down. More than just a toy. Not going to use it to shoot rabbits but I wouldn't stand in front of one.

I've seen traditional longbows 70-90 lbs for under £100 but I think I'd enjoy making one and learn from the experience.
I'd like a proper Yew bow but I doubt I'd be able to pull more than an Ash bow can comfortably achieve.

I could hang one over the fireplace in my house in Aquitane just in case the locals get all hundred years war on me.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 pm

This guy makes good bows with American wood

Omega Longbows

My grandpa gave me his old longbow when I was a kid but I left it strung up in the garage during summer and it snapped. I got pretty ok with it even though I could barely pull it back all the way, unless I pointed straight up and pulled down while swinging the bow out.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Yeah, I never played with a Victorian longbows. They are much more expensive. Mine is basically a primitive longbow.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Mine looks more like this one:

Otern

Post by Otern » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
I used to have a single handed crossbow with a 40lb draw. Neat little weapon, I wouldn't want one pointed at me.

I've wanted a Longbow ever since I read Thomas of Hookton. I'm determined to go on a course and make my own though. There are several weekend courses around but I just don't seem to find the time.

You might as well just purchase one. You can get one in America for a few hundred dollars that is pretty good. 40 lbs draw is not enough for anything but a toy, though. You need minimum 50 lbs to hunt small game here. Our ancestors wielded warbows with nearly 200 lbs draw weight.
Close quarters my old crossbow would take you down. More than just a toy. Not going to use it to shoot rabbits but I wouldn't stand in front of one.

I've seen traditional longbows 70-90 lbs for under £100 but I think I'd enjoy making one and learn from the experience.
I'd like a proper Yew bow but I doubt I'd be able to pull more than an Ash bow can comfortably achieve.

I could hang one over the fireplace in my house in Aquitane just in case the locals get all hundred years war on me.
Crossbows are banned here, sadly. Still made one as a kid, with a pretty smart and simple trigger mechanism. It went off with a light press on the trigger, but where still pretty safe. Needed pliers to get throwing darts out of the barn wall after shooting.

I was a total archery nerd as a kid, and made a new bow almost every spring. Primitive stuff mostly, with no steel tipped arrows. (Taped pebbles to the front of the arrows to get some consistency). Didn't have access to yew, or any other traditional bow making wood, so made mine out of juniper bushes. They were still powerful enough, and could hit a pizza box from 20-30 meters, with heavy stone tipped arrows.

Tried to get a small ballista going too, found the the right type of branch. 2.5 meter long, but could never manage to string it, as it was too strong, and I was too weak. Also think my parents would set the foot down if they ever discovered it, so I abandoned that project. They were skeptical of the crossbow already, and the ballista would've been a true danger to the society.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 am

There has been talk of building a ballista at the Bungay Balls Up (my juggling convention here at the farm)
I may have to go to work during the event though so I am going to concentrate on building a new stronger arm for the trebuchet. The meadow is about 200 meters long and I'm determined to throw a missile all the way into the next feild before I move on to the next project.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Okee, you get that heritage or nah?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:28 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Okee, you get that heritage or nah?
Not yet. Don't want to pay too much.

Gonna see if I can find one for cheap at the gun show next weekend.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 am

Otern wrote: Crossbows are banned here, sadly.
Our poor Europeans cousins, their posts always start like this.

“Croquet mallets are banned here, sadly...”

:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 pm

What kinda boots yalls wear?