WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

heydaralon

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by heydaralon » Sat May 13, 2017 7:41 pm

There was a lot of animal cruelty in WW2. Apparently, the Russians would put explosives on their dogs and train them to run under German tanks. It didn't work out well. The United States tried putting incendiary charges on bats in NM to create firestorms in Japan. That also didn't work out well. Its still a fascinating idea though.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 pm

There's an alternate history series where some reptilian aliens invade right in the middle of WW2. The Germans and the Russians sort of work out a CF to fight the expeditionary force that landed in eastern Europe. In the novel, the reptilians liked dogs and the Russians were doing that to them. It was kind of funny in a way because they were like who the fuck would do something like this?? The Russians. That's who.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat May 13, 2017 9:19 pm

It sort of depends on how you define it, because the West does kill lots of animals in the meat industry, but it seems like Easterners and Slavs place a lower value on lots of animal life, particularly exotic animals and animals we would view as pets such as cats and dogs. I was raised with cats, but I also have a soft spot for dogs. Anyway, much of African poaching is to support an industry of potion in China. Dogs and cats are considered a delicacy. I will eat beef, pork and chicken until I die, but eating a dog seems more cold blooded to me.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 pm

heydaralon wrote:There was a lot of animal cruelty in WW2. Apparently, the Russians would put explosives on their dogs and train them to run under German tanks. It didn't work out well. The United States tried putting incendiary charges on bats in NM to create firestorms in Japan. That also didn't work out well. Its still a fascinating idea though.
We also trained pigeons to peck at an image of a naval vessel on a screen. The idea was to put them in the bomb up front and have them peck at the view and somehow manipulate the trajectory of the bomb. This was actually done but I don't know how successful it was. Also, the problem with the tank dogs was that Russia and Germany used two different kinds of fuel. I don't remember who was using diesel and who gas but the Russians trained the dogs on their tanks and when they were used on the frontline the dogs sought out Russian tanks because that was what they were trained on.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 13, 2017 9:59 pm

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat May 13, 2017 11:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:It sort of depends on how you define it, because the West does kill lots of animals in the meat industry, but it seems like Easterners and Slavs place a lower value on lots of animal life, particularly exotic animals and animals we would view as pets such as cats and dogs. I was raised with cats, but I also have a soft spot for dogs. Anyway, much of African poaching is to support an industry of potion in China. Dogs and cats are considered a delicacy. I will eat beef, pork and chicken until I die, but eating a dog seems more cold blooded to me.
There is a difference, its not really explainable or logical, but a dog is not the same as a cow or pig no matter how you try and argue it. I got in a multi page argument on another forum before and pretty much lost it but just like you, I see a difference in dogs and cats as opposed to other animals

I'll kill a person to protect my dog; and I believe in punishing China for their role in creating mass extinctions through poaching.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Hastur wrote:
C-Mag wrote:@ Hastur
I have haven't done any gaming since Day of Defeat came out, but WOT is the shit.
Just finally got my Tiger I. The poster child of WWII Tanks. Now I just need to get a really good Historic Skin for it, and the others. I found a couple, but haven't tried to install them yet. My tanks I'm primarily running now.

Tiger I
SU-85 AT
M4E3 - I think
B1 - Frenchy
Vk 28, German Light/Med tank, fast as hell and packs a punch too

I should work up to a T-34 as well, haven't gotten to it, and I have not played any Brit tanks. It's on the bucket list.

My handle: Horseman
Clan: Hells Horseman (H2)
Play time: Nothing solid, whenever I get to it.
My first recommendation is always to go for the Soviet heavy line and the British mediums.
Yeah, if I wanted the most effective tanks in the game, but not my focus. WOT is an extremely well made game that plays very, very well. However, some of the effectiveness and availability of tanks is blatantly wrong. The KV-2 for example. In the game is an absolute beast, and I run into 1-2 of them in every Tier 6 battle. But in reality, the KV2 wasn't worthwhile to produce in large numbers, only about 200 were made. The KV2 had many problems, it's gun was so big and heavy it could only traverse and shoot on level ground. But in the game, this doesn't hamper the KV2.

I'm not saying this to be snooty about the historical failures of the game, it's a game, and if they had wanted to make the M3 Lee the best tank in the game they could have. Like Madden 1, Larry Csonka was almost unstoppable, 200 yards every game. It's just that I am not driven by just winning. It's a fun game. Even 20 years ago I would never have dreamed I would be able to play this good of a WWII tank game.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 13, 2017 11:14 pm

California wrote:
heydaralon wrote:It sort of depends on how you define it, because the West does kill lots of animals in the meat industry, but it seems like Easterners and Slavs place a lower value on lots of animal life, particularly exotic animals and animals we would view as pets such as cats and dogs. I was raised with cats, but I also have a soft spot for dogs. Anyway, much of African poaching is to support an industry of potion in China. Dogs and cats are considered a delicacy. I will eat beef, pork and chicken until I die, but eating a dog seems more cold blooded to me.
There is a difference, its not really explainable or logical, but a dog is not the same as a cow or pig no matter how you try and argue it. I got in a multi page argument on another forum before and pretty much lost it but just like you, I see a difference in dogs and cats as opposed to other animals

I'll kill a person to protect my dog; and I believe in punishing China for their role in creating mass extinctions through poaching.
I agree that Dogs in particular are quite different to livestock in general. However, I would kill my own dog before I would kill another human, given those two choices.

I can't blame the Soviets for using dogs as trained kamikazies. The Soviets lived through Stalinist purges, Ukranian Genocide and Gulags. The Soviets lost 25 Million people in the war, what was a few dogs to them ? Removed Dan's Ostfront, this is a people that marched an entire military unit to their death in a raging river because they were told to do so.
PLATA O PLOMO

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun May 14, 2017 12:23 am

"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

ssu

Post by ssu » Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 pm

C-Mag wrote: I can't blame the Soviets for using dogs as trained kamikazies. The Soviets lived through Stalinist purges, Ukranian Genocide and Gulags. The Soviets lost 25 Million people in the war, what was a few dogs to them ? Removed Dan's Ostfront, this is a people that marched an entire military unit to their death in a raging river because they were told to do so.
So bourgeoise to cry about dogs. If you treat humans like animals, why would you care about animals?

The Penal units, the Shtrafbats, were used as true canon fodder, to open a route in a minefield, or to literally fight to the last man and if someone tries to retreat, shoot him. There's many way to clear minefields, for example. Goes well with an ideology, which is all about the collective.