Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Haumana

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Haumana » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 pm
It's been a busy year.
Garden did well this year. We canned 175 jars of various stuff. I have 200 lbs of spuds in the root cellar.
The biggest improvement to the homestead is a dedicated meat processing room. I built a walk in cooler last Spring.
So far I've butchered a beef and a deer. But the pace is going to grow quickly. I have beef, 2 hogs and planning on about a half dozen wild animals, Antelope, Deer, Elk.

I have it set up pretty good. I have a propane RV stove in the room to heat water and a sink to keep everything clean. I bought a new grinder and improved my old meat band saw. The system is working well. We butchered a deer taken with a bow at 65 yards a few days ago. 5 hours, from hanging carcass with hide on, to finished packaged meat and sausage.
Pics or I am gonna start questioning your military service. :D :D

Seeing your setup would be cool.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 am

Damn dude, making me insecure lol
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:59 am

Haumana wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 am

Pics or I am gonna start questioning your military service. :D :D

Seeing your setup would be cool.
:lol:
I'll do a pic dump.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:05 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 am
This is years of building a system, you're doing fine. I went and helped my brother harvest wheat, ran the combine for a couple days. I'll put some of those pics up too. About 30 bushels got spilled, I scooped it into my pickup and brought it home. Mostly for chicken feed. I can't imagine us being in a place where I had to grind it and bake bread. But 30 bushels will make approx 2400 loaves of bread.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:05 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 am
This is years of building a system, you're doing fine. I went and helped my brother harvest wheat, ran the combine for a couple days. I'll put some of those pics up too. About 30 bushels got spilled, I scooped it into my pickup and brought it home. Mostly for chicken feed. I can't imagine us being in a place where I had to grind it and bake bread. But 30 bushels will make approx 2400 loaves of bread.
Yeah I still have 2 quarts of wheat seed in the basement. I hope I never have to use it :lol:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Two of my brothers and I butchered hogs today. We were done with them in 4 hours. Started 2 hogs, 251 pounds hanging weight, had 178 pounds packaged meat.

I still have 4 bacons, 3 canadian bacons, pork shanks, and 3 hams to finish, but they are curing now. I'll be smoking bacons and shanks in 5 days, hams in 10.

Made 58 pounds of sausage. 50 Breakfast, and 8 Sweet Italian. I had meatballs and marinara for dinner, it was Great!
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:51 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:28 pm
Two of my brothers and I butchered hogs today. We were done with them in 4 hours. Started 2 hogs, 251 pounds hanging weight, had 178 pounds packaged meat.

I still have 4 bacons, 3 canadian bacons, pork shanks, and 3 hams to finish, but they are curing now. I'll be smoking bacons and shanks in 5 days, hams in 10.

Made 58 pounds of sausage. 50 Breakfast, and 8 Sweet Italian. I had meatballs and marinara for dinner, it was Great!
Hot damn! That's a score! What do you use for bacon cure?

I am waiting for my wife's client to shoot another wild pig that I can butcher. He shot one last week but because we didn't get back to him in time he buried it. Fucking vegans.... He has a problem with wild pigs. He has been shooting them and burying them. LOL. Umm, Yo I'll take em, weirdo.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:05 am

Haumana wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:51 am
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Hot damn! That's a score! What do you use for bacon cure?

I am waiting for my wife's client to shoot another wild pig that I can butcher. He shot one last week but because we didn't get back to him in time he buried it. Fucking vegans.... He has a problem with wild pigs. He has been shooting them and burying them. LOL. Umm, Yo I'll take em, weirdo.
Free pigs, cool.

My bacon cure is just dark brown sugar, salt, pepper and Prague Powder #1. Rub the meat down, stack in a tub, rotate every other day, cure for 5 days. Rinse, hang for 24 hours, smoke for 4-6 hours, rest over night, smoke for another 4-6 hours.

I can get you the mix of cure ingredients if you want.
PLATA O PLOMO