The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Montegriffo

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 am

Toying with the idea of something like this for a bit of rat hunting on the farm.
https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-p ... istol/1259

625 fps spring powered.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 am

Montegriffo wrote:Toying with the idea of something like this for a bit of rat hunting on the farm.

625 fps spring powered.
I have the .22cal version of this, which is made by the same company. I’m pleased with it. Was a great way to get some plinking in on the weekend without Seattle liberals calling the SWAT team down on me.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:40 pm

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Carlos Hathcock Method of Sighting in a Rifle
Carlos looked at me and said, “So you want to sight in your rifle, eh? OK, thoroughly clean the bore and chamber. Dry the bore out with patches just before you come down to Range 4 tomorrow at noon on the 200 yard line. Have the sling on the rifle that you are going to use in hunting.” Then he went on about his business.
When I got to Range 4 the next day, he had a target in the air ready for me. He told me to get down in the best prone position I had. He checked me and adjusted my position just a bit. Then he said, “Before you shoot.
The MOST important thing I want you to do is take your time and make it the best shot possible. It doesn’t matter how long you take, just make it a good shot.
ALSO, and this is as important, make sure you give me an accurate call on where you think the bullet hit the target.” After I broke the shot, I told him where I thought the bullet had hit.
He checked it by using a spotting scope when the target came back up. He grinned just slightly and said, “not a bad call.” He then took a screwdriver and adjusted my scope a bit. He had me record everything possible about the shot and weather, humidity, temperature, wind, how I felt when the shot went off, what kind of ammo I was using, the date, and virtually everything about the conditions on the range that day.
I had never seen such a complete and precise recording of such things in a log book. He told me that if a fly had gone by the rifle and farted while I was shooting, to make sure I recorded that.
Then he told me to thoroughly clean the bore and chamber, and have it dry when I came back at 12 noon the next day. I was kind of surprised he only had me shoot once, but when you are getting free lessons – you don’t question or argue.
The next day, he told me the same thing. I called the shot and it was closer to the center of the bullseye. He made another slight adjustment and told me to clean the bore and chamber, dry the bore thoroughly and come back the next day at noon. Then we recorded everything possible about that day.
The following day, the shot was darn near exactly centered on the bullseye. Then he told me to clean and dry the bore before coming back the next day. Then we recorded everything about that day.
About a week into the process, Ted asked me how it was going. I said it was going really well, but we were only shooting one shot a day. Ted grinned and said, “How many shots do you think you are going to get at a deer? Don’t you think you had better make the first one count?” There was a level of knowledge and wisdom there that I immediately appreciated, though I came to appreciate it even more as time went on.
We continued this process with the sitting position at 200 yards, then prone and sitting at 300 yards and 400 yards. Then we went down to 100 yards and included offhand in the mix. Each day and each shot we recorded everything possible in the book and that included the sight settings for each position at each yard line. We also marked the scope adjustment settings with different color nail polish for each yard line.
When that was over after a few weeks, I thought I had a super good zero on the rifle. But no, not according to Carlos. He started calling me up on mornings it was foggy, rainy, windy, high or low humidity, etc., etc. and we fired a single shot and recorded the sight settings and everything else about the day. (I actually used four or five log books by the time we were through and put that info all into one ring binder.) I almost had an encyclopedia on that rifle. Grin.
Well, after a few months, we had shot a single round in most every kind of condition there was. Then about the 12th of December, it was REALLY cold and it seemed like an artic wind was blowing, there was about four inches of snow on the ground and freezing rain was falling. He called me up and told me to meet him at Range 4 at noon. I had gotten to know him well enough to joke, “Do you really want to watch me shoot in this kind of weather? He chuckled and said, “Well, are you ever going to hunt in this kind of weather?” I sighed and said, “See you at noon.”
By the next spring, I had records for sight settings for the first shot out of a “cold” barrel for almost any weather, position and range I would use and temperature/wind/humidity condition imagineable. He had informed me months before that was bascially how he wanted all Marine Snipers to sight in their rifles as only the first shot counts, though of course they would do it out to 700 yards on a walking target and further on a stationary target. They also practiced follow up shots, of course and we did some of that as well. It gave me great confidence that I could dial in my scope for anything I would come across.
americanshootingjournal.com/carlos-hathcock-method-of-sighting-in-a-rifle/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 pm

C-Mag wrote:Carlos Hathcock Method of Sighting in a Rifle
Interesting piece . . . man, I wish I had that kind of time now.

When I was in high school, and really into handloading .270 for 200-500 yard shooting, I would compare my results in January with August results. In Tennessee there is a huge seasonal difference.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Fife wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Carlos Hathcock Method of Sighting in a Rifle
Interesting piece . . . man, I wish I had that kind of time now.

When I was in high school, and really into handloading .270 for 200-500 yard shooting, I would compare my results in January with August results. In Tennessee there is a huge seasonal difference.
Wish I had the time as well.
I had never heard of this before. When I was a kid, my dad had a similar method for ammo convservation and getting us to shoot well. Each year when gophers came out, we would get one .22 shell for the day. Bring back a gopher tail, get three more rounds.

I can see how the Hathcock method would make you an extremely confident and practiced shooter.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Reloading ammunition saves money and could save your life if something kicks off.

This covers the basics of reloading empty casings.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Toying with the idea of something like this for a bit of rat hunting on the farm.

625 fps spring powered.
Is it legal to use air rifles for pest control over there? Because it's illegal here.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Otern wrote:

625 fps spring powered.
Is it legal to use air rifles for pest control over there? Because it's illegal here.
Rename Norway to Nowayfun

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:43 pm

That's fucking nuts.

I am not aware of any restrictions on killing rodents. You can use an air gun for that all day, no problem.

When I was in Idaho, people used to shoot whistle pigs for fun.