Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

heydaralon

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by heydaralon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:The main threat in fallout is strontium-90, but the radiation it emits is very short ranged, only a few millimeters in fact, it's not likely going to kill you unless you injest it, the way it actually kills you, is that it bonds to calcium, structurally it's similar to calcium, so it just attaches itself to the calcium, then you injest it, then the radioactive calcium goes into your bones, then the short wave radiation effects the bone marrow, then you die of rapid onset acute myeloid lukemia.
Soy milk is a quick fix since dairy is no longer an option after Kim strike. It will give you mantitties, but having a sports bra would be a vast improvement over cancer.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Actually, soy milk has even more calcium by percentage than cow milk, calcium is everywhere, it's in almost everything you eat, and that's how the fallout gets you in the end, either you get the bone cancer, or you starve.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Almost done tilling now. Put a whole lot of work in over the weekend. I’m going much deeper than before, trying to bust up the clay around here, but it seems pretty hopeless. I’m bottoming our the tiller, and still seeing a brick wall of it down there.

Garlic is planted all around the perimeter now, and my fruit trees, as I learned it’s a really good pest repellant. Apparently, it’s a perennial too, so I can have a permanent stash, without replanting it. It just makes more cloves, so long as you pluck off all the seeds when they form.

Also planted grapevines at the base of my pergola, but that will take 2 years to bear fruit. I’m planning to put in some blackberry and blueberry vines later this fall, for preserves and jellies.

Progress is slow, but ever steady.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 pm

I paid for two months of netflix in advance and got the BIG bottle of gatorade. There's really no telling what the future holds, and Im gonna be ready to face it head on.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:06 am

We haven't delved into this too much in this thread, but we have a good solid footing of other topics and maybe it's time.

Some really good thought process about how much ammo and mags to have available. I just like this guy.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 pm

C-Mag wrote:We haven't delved into this too much in this thread, but we have a good solid footing of other topics and maybe it's time.

Some really good thought process about how much ammo and mags to have available. I just like this guy.

He needs to get back on his meds.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
C-Mag wrote:We haven't delved into this too much in this thread, but we have a good solid footing of other topics and maybe it's time.

He needs to get back on his meds.

Nah, he explained that. He's a gun guy, that's what they do. Having 1000 mags wasn't the point of that. The gems in that was, you don't know what kind of situation you will be in. So everyone saying this is it, this is my plan for X, is a fool. Need to be flexible and ready for a wide variety of situations.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Hmm
''cops kill people, that's what they do''
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Would buying another overhead rack to hang from the ceiling of my garage be a good idea for storage of my emergency rations?

Or will that be a bad idea since the most common type of emergency I'm likely to have is an earthquake?

Where are you storing your guys's shit?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 pm

California wrote:Would buying another overhead rack to hang from the ceiling of my garage be a good idea for storage of my emergency rations?

Or will that be a bad idea since the most common type of emergency I'm likely to have is an earthquake?

Where are you storing your guys's shit?
IMO, a guys gotta use what he has available to him. If that's the space you have, use it. Common sense would say try and find another location for canned and jarred items.
PLATA O PLOMO