Changing Fields.

The Conservative

Changing Fields.

Post by The Conservative » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:11 pm

I am tired of working in IT... I am going to grab my PMP and start working on Project Management... see what I can get my hands into... also working on getting the Microsoft Power Bi certification as well...

I'm going to be hitting 50 soon, and the way things are now I'm never going to retire.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Changing Fields.

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:39 am

2 different things there.

Out of IT: Quit what you’re qualified for and do something else.

Retire soon: stay with what makes you money. Maybe do it somewhere else.

Choose wisely.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:26 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:39 am

Choose wisely.
I'm qualified for IT, but I am tired of being on the lower end of the IT world, I have worked my way back up, but without added certifications or degrees, I'm getting nowhere fast. I got a 2nd kid coming down the pike, it's not like the money I am making now is going to stretch any further with the way things are going now.

As for retiring, not a chance in hell, I am going to be doing things I want to do soon enough, but for now... I need to get that one last job that will net me what I lost when I was younger.

I am going to get my PMP to possibly stay in IT, but at the same time be the one that is in charge of the projects instead of actually being on the front lines. I should have gotten this a while back, just time was never on my side. I've gotten where I am to working mostly flawlessly, so my time now can be better used to get my PMP as well as train the new kids working under me.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:12 am

The Conservative wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:26 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Choose wisely.
I'm qualified for IT, but I am tired of being on the lower end of the IT world, I have worked my way back up, but without added certifications or degrees, I'm getting nowhere fast. I got a 2nd kid coming down the pike, it's not like the money I am making now is going to stretch any further with the way things are going now.

As for retiring, not a chance in hell, I am going to be doing things I want to do soon enough, but for now... I need to get that one last job that will net me what I lost when I was younger.

I am going to get my PMP to possibly stay in IT, but at the same time be the one that is in charge of the projects instead of actually being on the front lines. I should have gotten this a while back, just time was never on my side. I've gotten where I am to working mostly flawlessly, so my time now can be better used to get my PMP as well as train the new kids working under me.
Thought you said you were an IT Director..

I worked up with an associate degree. But I specialized in SQL and that gave me a career path. Generalists don’t move up very far. You need to pick a path and pursue it.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:29 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:12 am
The Conservative wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Choose wisely.

I worked up with an associate degree. But I specialized in SQL and that gave me a career path. Generalists don’t move up very far. You need to pick a path and pursue it.
Was. Then the company I worked for decided to let people go. Then it turned out that he didn't pay SS, unemployment, etc.

So, when you have to go through a background check, you tell me how you explain that.

Especially in a market that is flush with candidates that don't look like they lied on their resume..

I took what I could to keep food on the table and a roof over my head.

Only good thing about it is I'm still around the 6- figure mark
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:33 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:29 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

Was. Then the company I worked for decided to let people go. Then it turned out that he didn't pay SS, unemployment, etc.

So, when you have to go through a background check, you tell me how you explain that.

Especially in a market that is flush with candidates that don't look like they lied on their resume..

At 6-figures you’re not struggling - at least not outside of New England.

I capped out just over 6, but I discovered last year that I could do more than one job remotely. ;)
Now I work 2 jobs from home and I’m doing well.

There are stories of guys doing 4-5 jobs until they get fired and just pick up another one. I’ve got too much work ethic for that, but you can make a pile doing it.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:33 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:29 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

At 6-figures you’re not struggling - at least not outside of New England.

I capped out just over 6, but I discovered last year that I could do more than one job remotely. ;)
Now I work 2 jobs from home and I’m doing well.

There are stories of guys doing 4-5 jobs until they get fired and just pick up another one. I’ve got too much work ethic for that, but you can make a pile doing it.
I have an opportunity in a few months to be on the ground floor of a company starting here in the US (works internationally) it's one of those things of “I know a guy” situations where i’ll be making low 6 figures as the entity starts up, but be pulling in 7 figures if it takes off.

Another startup, I know. Risky, but I'm not getting rich being someone elses bitch.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:17 pm

Yeah, one way or another, you can’t trust the ‘old school’ career path anymore.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:22 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:17 pm
Guy comes in bragging about his expertise but the also says how he is almost homeless. Nutter.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:29 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:22 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:17 pm
Guy comes in bragging about his expertise but the also says how he is almost homeless. Nutter.
I have 3 decades in my field with nothing more than an associates, got to a Directorship. Got screwed and still landed on my feet...

Alao realize, key word almost homeless... I've always landed on my feet. How many people here can say they have had shit thrown at them like me and still come out standing?

Even people we know here that are no longer here have had that skill. Most got out of it with divorces or mental fuckery of the worst kind.

I pride myself in being a survivor, taking barbs and arrows and I hope my son and soon-to-be daughter will never have to go through life as I have.

That is all a father can hope for.

If that means making my own luck and taking chances by switching what I am doing to better myself. So be it.
#NotOneRedCent