Re: Son at 5 years old.

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:36 am

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 am
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:02 am

I fumbled my way through all that, but I want to give my son a nudge up on that if I can. He's already popular with the girls... lol.
yeah, he's got that devilish look to him, ladykiller

girls love cute, that boyish charm gets the most girls

so long as he's athletic & he know how to be charming, he will make out like a bandit
Oh, he gets free stuff all the time from the girls now... I don't think I've had to pay for a drink for him in almost two years now... lol.
the main threat to his happiness is the public school system trying to brainwash him into being an America hating gay communist weirdo
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:36 am

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:10 am
I can't tell you how happy I am for you, TC. I remember when you posted on the DCF about his approaching birth. You're doing good, brother. 5 years goes by quick, don't it?
Yeah, it does, and I was so worried when he was born because he was a month and a day early, that was the scariest day in my life, and that's saying something. An army of doctors surrounding my son, he not crying or moving after birth... and them not telling me anything for a good what seems like an eternity, but in reality was less than 5 minutes.

The minute he started crying I started to relax... now you couldn't tell he was ever in the NCU.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:46 am

the central narrative with my father was the American religion of freedom and individual liberty

Canada is a knee jerk Anti-American place

the public school system here tries to brainwash you into being an America hating gay communist weirdo

my father always taught the alternate America point of view
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:46 am
the central narrative with my father was the American religion of freedom and individual liberty

the public school system here tries to brainwash you into being an America hating gay communist weirdo

Don't worry they are trying to do the same thing in the US now... any time my son brings a question that leads me to wonder where it came from he does a thinking game and breaks down what he thinks and the reasoning behind it. Then I ask him if it would be how he would like to be treated, or does he think it is fair if people are treated that way, etc...

If it's about sharing or giving things to people, I treat his legos like money and he understands more about what is going on that way. I hate trying to make him understand so much so early, but if they are trying to brainwash my son at 5, I am going to push back in a way he understands so to make sure he realizes what is going on.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:37 am

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

Don't worry they are trying to do the same thing in the US now... any time my son brings a question that leads me to wonder where it came from he does a thinking game and breaks down what he thinks and the reasoning behind it. Then I ask him if it would be how he would like to be treated, or does he think it is fair if people are treated that way, etc...

If it's about sharing or giving things to people, I treat his legos like money and he understands more about what is going on that way. I hate trying to make him understand so much so early, but if they are trying to brainwash my son at 5, I am going to push back in a way he understands so to make sure he realizes what is going on.
my father used history lessons

instead of trying to convince me of anything, he simply taught history

he would play devil's advocate, he would take the role of prosecutor

then it was up for me to mount a defense of America, coming up with my own arguments

when we went on vacation, we drove, we drove across America

to pass the time my father would incite debates

My Lai massacre, how can you justify that ? Bombing the Germans into the stone age ? Slavery ? Hiroshima ?

then I would be like Johnny Cochran

if the glove don't fit you must acquit, from Appomattox Court House to the Sea of Tranquility & beyond

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 am

when it came to athletics, my father didn't say winning was everything, winning was the only thing

he just said winning is good

winning makes you happy

play to win

going home with the desirable girl on your arm at the end of the night was not the only thing in life

it was just the best thing in life, that is what you are here for, boy

Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:37 am
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

my father used history lessons

instead of trying to convince me of anything, he simply taught history

he would play devil's advocate, he would take the role of prosecutor

then it was up for me to mount a defense of America, coming up with my own arguments

when we went on vacation, we drove, we drove across America

to pass the time my father would incite debates

My Lai massacre, how can you justify that ? Bombing the Germans into the stone age ? Slavery ? Hiroshima ?

then I would be like Johnny Cochran

if the glove don't fit you must acquit, from Appomattox Court House to the Sea of Tranquility & beyond

My son is into Dinosaurs, modern history isn't taught at his age yet except for the basics...when he gets older I will teach him history, but he knows about family history.

That being said I have all intention to raise my son like that, at least to the most extent, I want my son to be a critical thinker. Which is something that is rare it seems out there.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 am
when it came to athletics, my father didn't say winning was everything, winning was the only thing

winning makes you happy

play to win

going home with the desirable girl on your arm at the end of the night was not the only thing in life

As for winning is everything, yes... winning is great, but if you don't lose once in a while, humility will be lost on you. Also, if all you do is win, you are either the best there ever was, or you aren't being challenged enough. Winning against a challenge is always fun. It means you earned it.

Blowing people out of the water when it came to competition, I hated doing it, because there was no reason to play against someone who wasn't even in the same league as you.

I only reveled in blowing people out of the water in competition if they deserved it...
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:58 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

winning makes you happy

play to win

As for winning is everything, yes... winning is great, but if you don't lose once in a while, humility will be lost on you. Also, if all you do is win, you are either the best there ever was, or you aren't being challenged enough. Winning against a challenge is always fun. It means you earned it.

Blowing people out of the water when it came to competition, I hated doing it, because there was no reason to play against someone who wasn't even in the same league as you.

I only reveled in blowing people out of the water in competition if they deserved it...
I wasn't competitive about sports, that was more my boys social club, it was all about the locker room

so as long as I made the team, that was all I needed, I didn't need to be the quarterback

I was competitive about girls, the main competition was for the beautiful charming girlfriends

sports was more life lessons, my dad and me playing sports head to head, like one on one basketball

that's when we both got competitive, the grudge matches were father vs son
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:58 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

winning makes you happy

play to win

I wasn't competitive about sports, that was more my boys social club, it was all about the locker room

so as long as I made the team, that was all I needed, I didn't need to be the quarterback

I was competitive about girls, the main competition was for the beautiful charming girlfriends

sports was more life lessons, my dad and me playing sports head to head, like one on one basketball

I'm short 5 ft 6, my son is going to tower over me if he keeps growing the way he is... but when I was in high school I played basketball.

I was the most penalized player, I was like an enforcer on the court... you tried to take out my teammate, I take you out "legally"... loved street basketball.

People knew I was not one to be messed with... my girl was always off-limits.

That being said, the only time we got into almost legal trouble was when we outright beat the snot out of a team, 34 to 120... the center was a black kid, tall and lanky, but a beast on the floor. He and I used to play street ball all the time...

In any case, he was dating a white girl, and the captain on the other team said "Hey look at that N-er dating that casper."

Needless to say, I was the one keep the peace until someone attempted a sucker punch at me... then it was the entire time vs the opposing team. We kicked their ass off the court as well as on it.

When the coaches came back they asked what happened. My response "They tripped."

That was all that was needed to be said...

My son will learn from my mistakes, but I will let him make his own, but when push comes to shove, I will always have his back.
#NotOneRedCent