Favorite Film and TV Characters

C-Mag

Favorite Film and TV Characters

Post by C-Mag » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Who are your favorite Film and TV Characters ?

That perfect mix of actor, director, lines, story that make memorable characters.

I'll kick it off with one of my all time favorites.
JJ Sefton~ Stalag 17, played by William Holden
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Re: Favorite Film and TV Characters

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:28 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm

That perfect mix of actor, director, lines, story that make memorable characters.

I like the movie, but his character reminded me of a certain kind of person in the military that I never liked. I think that was on purpose. Most of the male audience of that film served and that character was designed specifically to elicit feelings of animosity and repulsion.

The real lesson of the film was that the guy you tend to like the most can be the greatest danger to you.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Oh, if I was in that barracks, I would not have been a JJ Sefton fan at all. But in the end, you cheer for him because as flawed a character as he is, he's still American and willing to give all for Americans.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:45 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Sterling Hayden in The Killing was a pretty alpha villain. Great old school heist movie.

Bill The Butcher from Gangs of New York is among my favorite characters of all time

Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men in the top 3 best

Hannibal Lecter both Hopkins and Mikkelson killed that role.

Both Jesse James (played by Brad Pitt) and Robert Ford (played by Casey Affleck) are pretty amazing.

The Sopranos has a slew of great characters: Tony Soprano, Christopher Moltisanti, and Phil Leotardo are my favorites among them

The Wire also has some amazing characters: Avon and String, Clay Davis, Marlo, Slim Charles and Prop Joe. Omar is also great but I don't like him nearly as much tbh

Al Swearingin from DeadWood is pretty epic

Of Course R Lee Ermey in FMJ as Seargent Hartman is among my favorite characters with some classic fucking insults and phrases

For comedy, Mr Lahey and Ricky from Trailer Park boys are legendary

Also Will Arnett as Brent Wilks in the increasing poor decisions of Todd Margaret

Kenny Powers made comedy history with his amazing self journey and insights

Lebowski and Walter and the Rich Guy Lebowski were hilarious in that movie

These are a few off the top of my head
Last edited by heydaralon on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shikata ga nai

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:47 pm

For TV it's pretty much any character played by Timothy Olyphant but two newer characters I'm really into are Bosch and Jon Bernthal's Punisher.

Bill the Butcher is my all-time favorite movie character
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49 pm

California wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:47 pm
For TV it's pretty much any character played by Timothy Olyphant but two newer characters I'm really into are Bosch and Jon Bernthal's Punisher.

Bill the Butcher is my all-time favorite movie character
Speaking of Olyphant, Wynne Duffy from Justified deserves to be on my list. If that guy had his own show, I'd watch the shit out of it. Best villain on that show period.
Shikata ga nai

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Anton Chigurh, Jules Winnfield for movies.

Rustin Cohle (True Detectives season 1) and Lorne Malvo (Fargo season 1) for tv.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:05 pm
Anton Chigurh, Jules Winnfield for movies.

Rustin Cohle (True Detectives season 1) and Lorne Malvo (Fargo season 1) for tv.

Forgot about Rust. Honestly, Marty was pretty great in season 1 too. Malvo was good in season 1. I am not a huge fan of the Fargo show, however I really liked Mike Milligan on that show as well. He was the Malvo of season 2 imo.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:07 pm

The character Robert Blake played in Lost Highway is also one of my favorite characters in film. Creepy, ominous and captivating. Great movie that everyone should watch at least once.
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:11 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49 pm
Speaking of Olyphant, Wynne Duffy from Justified deserves to be on my list. If that guy had his own show, I'd watch the shit out of it. Best villain on that show period.
Hi bar, lotta great villains on that show, both goofy and scary. Mags Bennett was pretty damn good.

As far as great villains, anybody remember "Wiseguy"? They had Kevin Spacey, Stanley Tucci and Tim Curry as villains in various story arcs, a form they pioneered. Tucci was particularly great as an Ivy educated, yuppy, 3nd generation mobster.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND