The Bowling Thread

The Conservative

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I've thought about getting into bowling again, I used to have an average of 190 -210 depending on the league. Always wanted to go pro. Looked at the latest round of pros on the circuit right now and I look at their style, and shake my head most of the time. They do nothing special.

As for ball speed, and release speed, you may have a slower release speed, but the last 5 feet is when the speed gains.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Haumana wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 pm
Great little overview of what’s happening with the sport. Bowling is back baby!

I'm not really digging the new stadium style atmosphere. The "Clean your plate" chants are pretty gay, imo. I've been watching for about 6 weeks now, https://www.youtube.com/user/bosoares does a nice job of clipping commercials and getting them on YouTube. Sidenote: Did you notice that the same chick is hanging out over the bowlers' left shoulder in the background almost the whole time?
During the “PBA Playoffs yeah, they’ve had a crew of hired girls back there. I suspect most of the costumes came from the league too. Most of the other events have been quiet during the shot, but Portland, ME seems to like it rowdy.

Either way, I’ve watched every event this season, and I’m loving it. Waiting for Prather to take down Belmonte this week. Was shocked that Tackett lost.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 02, 2019 4:12 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 pm
I've thought about getting into bowling again, I used to have an average of 190 -210 depending on the league. Always wanted to go pro. Looked at the latest round of pros on the circuit right now and I look at their style, and shake my head most of the time. They do nothing special.

As for ball speed, and release speed, you may have a slower release speed, but the last 5 feet is when the speed gains.
Look at the difference in styles though. And the accuracy they display. It’s pretty incredible.

The real game is the oil though. How those guys figure it out in 1-2 shots is dark magic to me.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri May 03, 2019 2:44 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:12 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Look at the difference in styles though. And the accuracy they display. It’s pretty incredible.

The real game is the oil though. How those guys figure it out in 1-2 shots is dark magic to me.
It's really not that difficult. I've bowled in nationals before. What they don't show you is that the place is huge.

What you need to do is find someone with your similar style and watch how his/her ball reacts to the oil.

Common lane layouts for oil is normally viper in the professional settings.

Heavy outside, lighter on the backend. It is the reason for the heavy snap, if you use a fingertip ball and use a flip to gain rotation as the ball goes down the lane.

When I was in the nationals I placed 70th in the nation when I finished. I ended up being in the top 100 when it all ended.

My lowest game was 225.

On a side note I used to teach people how to bowl...

Also, when people figure out a lane in two shots, what you don't see is the hundreds of hours of practice to be able to do that.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Is there a more soul-crushing place than a bowling alley?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:04 pm
Work.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm
Work.
Nah. You still find men at most workplaces who have not completely given up and let themselves go.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm
Work.
Nah. You still find men at most workplaces who have not completely given up and let themselves go.
When you work in a place that has over 50K employees, and 90% of them are socalist... I'm a rarity.

A bowling alley is only soul-crushing if you let it be. A workplace like mine... yeah. Not exactly a place where testosterone is accepted.
#NotOneRedCent

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Nope. People leave a sterile workplace where they do they same thing time after time, to go to a large sterile room where they do the same thing time after time.

Back in the infant days of videogames I notice there were 2 types of games and gamers. One type liked algorithmic games, memorizing patterns and accurately reproducing them for the given circumstances. Space Invaders was an archetype of this. Do this, then that, then this, then that. Push the button at the exact right time. The other type was fluid improvisation of your circumstances, never repeating. Asteroids. And for us in the latter camp, there's pool (game of the gods) instead of bowling or darts.

Interestingly, Chess involves both these forms, openings and endgames are algorithmic and good play involves memorizing patterns, but midgame is all improv. I suck at the former. I always wanted to learn GO, I think it would play to my strengths.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 05, 2019 4:24 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm
Nope. People leave a sterile workplace where they do they same thing time after time, to go to a large sterile room where they do the same thing time after time.

Back in the infant days of videogames I notice there were 2 types of games and gamers. One type liked algorithmic games, memorizing patterns and accurately reproducing them for the given circumstances. Space Invaders was an archetype of this. Do this, then that, then this, then that. Push the button at the exact right time. The other type was fluid improvisation of your circumstances, never repeating. Asteroids. And for us in the latter camp, there's pool (game of the gods) instead of bowling or darts.

Interestingly, Chess involves both these forms, openings and endgames are algorithmic and good play involves memorizing patterns, but midgame is all improv. I suck at the former. I always wanted to learn GO, I think it would play to my strengths.

Have you tried Fischer's idea of semi-randomizing the first rows?