The Bowling Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 am

HarryK wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:24 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 pm
I rolled a 246 last week, 642 series. Out of freakin' nowhere. Previous highs were 210 and 513.

I just changed my timing a little, and everything clicked. It's like a whole new game now. :)

With the new bowling balls that store much more force versus the old days a 3/4’s swing will generate more than enough power. It’s all about rhythm and tracking where it hits the pocket. Your follow through and arm extension never lies.

Don’t worry about score per se (although I think you earned a couple of patches if you in a sanctioned league). As for the shoes, don’t be afraid to shorten your steps. The momentum will always create a slide.

I really can’t believe I’m talking about bowling. :oops:
Yeah, it's really bizarre how little force I can use, and watch an explosion at the other end. I started out bowling 16-18 mph, now down to around 13-14, and it hits harder than ever.

Visual illusions, I know, but the effect still amazes me.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 am

Speaking of patches, what do you guys do with them? Sew them into your bowling bag? Jersey? Throw them all in a box?
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 am
Speaking of patches, what do you guys do with them? See them into your bowling bag? Jersey? Throw them all in a box?

I use to sew them on my shirt as a kid. Nowadays it’s a mere token. However if you’re in a sanctioned league and roll a 300 and it’s recognized by PABA you will get a ring (the rules may have changed since it’s been close to 15 years since I last bowled). And every 300 after that you will have to pay,for the diamond chip for “Uber” bowler status.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm

HarryK wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Speaking of patches, what do you guys do with them? See them into your bowling bag? Jersey? Throw them all in a box?

I use to sew them on my shirt as a kid. Nowadays it’s a mere token. However if you’re in a sanctioned league and roll a 300 and it’s recognized by PABA you will get a ring (the rules may have changed since it’s been close to 15 years since I last bowled). And every 300 after that you will have to pay,for the diamond chip for “Uber” bowler status.
I represented a boy in a divorce about 10 years ago who had a 300 game ring. I asked him if that was for his weight goals or something else when he brought it up in our discussion of valuing the marital estate. He was a little pissed about that, as that ring was very, very important to him indeed. I sensed that and started trying to lighten the mood in the room with some Don't Fuck With The Jesus jokes and stories about pussy I had slayed giving out "bowling lessons" in the late 80s at the lanes in my undergrad town; but he was nonplussed. He insisted on putting some value on that ring of something nuts like 10K or such, IIRC. His wife and her lawyer didn't raise a fuss of course. :goteam: :drunk:

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Fife wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm
HarryK wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

I represented a boy in a divorce about 10 years ago who had a 300 game ring. I asked him if that was for his weight goals or something else when he brought it up in our discussion of valuing the marital estate. He was a little pissed about that, as that ring was very, very important to him indeed. I sensed that and started trying to lighten the mood in the room with some Don't Fuck With The Jesus jokes and stories about pussy I had slayed giving out "bowling lessons" in the late 80s at the lanes in my undergrad town; but he was nonplussed. He insisted on putting some value on that ring of something nuts like 10K or such, IIRC. His wife and her lawyer didn't raise a fuss of course. :goteam: :drunk:
What am I to do with you “Southern Man?” :lol:
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:35 am

Have you seen Jesper Svensson in action? What do you think of his new double-handed technique? Is it a game changer like the Fosbury flop? Did anyone try it?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:48 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:35 am
Have you seen Jesper Svensson in action? What do you think of his new double-handed technique? Is it a game changer like the Fosbury flop? Did anyone try it?

Jason Belmonte really made it popular. He won a ton of titles a few years ago, and has been partly responsible for a resurgence in bowling.

I can’t do it personally, it’s hell on the body. But it does hook the shit out of a bowling ball.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Really enjoyable Players Championship last weekend. Every match was fantastic.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Great little overview of what’s happening with the sport. Bowling is back baby!

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 pm
Great little overview of what’s happening with the sport. Bowling is back baby!

I'm not really digging the new stadium style atmosphere. The "Clean your plate" chants are pretty gay, imo. I've been watching for about 6 weeks now, https://www.youtube.com/user/bosoares does a nice job of clipping commercials and getting them on YouTube. Sidenote: Did you notice that the same chick is hanging out over the bowlers' left shoulder in the background almost the whole time?