The Draft: Pros-Cons and details

C-Mag

The Draft: Pros-Cons and details

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm

We are going to be talking Draft soon as new female babies will soon be subject to the draft. The National Defense Authorization Act, includes language that requires women born on or after January 1, 2018, to sign up for Selective Service on their 18th birthdays.

I'm a long time proponent for the Draft. Not that it will make a better military, but for the benefits to society. And yes it meshes with my Fortress America Doctrine. When I'm Imperator, there will be an M4 over every mantel.

My Draft
- Mandatory Civil Service from age 18-20 for all men, women and name your gender
- Service to the nation not confined to military, could be in any agency or perhaps even local public service
- deferments would be damn near impossible to get, better be brain dead or a quadriplegic.
- Selection of Service will be based on performance in High School.
-- at age 16-17 you select 3 agencies and 3 jobs you would like
-- Agencies pick, might give the military first round draft choice
- Drop out of school or F off on your education, that's all right, the USDA has fruit and veggies to be picked and Mike Rowe will train you in Dirty Jobs
- All our seasonal and part time jobs would be targeted for youth labor and skill learners
- There will be a new Civilian Conservation Corps as well. Many of them centered on rebuilding light infrastructure, and improving National Parks and Lands.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: The Draft: Pros-Cons and details

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Sounds great comrade C-Mag.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Sounds great comrade C-Mag.
Yeah, I'm been challenged that way before.

I'd rather we not, but I feel if we are going to remain one solid nation we need something in common, shared service. Plus it is only 2 years. It's not for life. It gets kids out of their parents basement and doing something. Even if is what you don't want to do. Like the military it forces you to work with others you wouldn't likely work with. Your placement is based on Merit.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:18 pm

I think if we are going to the draft, then we should give people the opportunity to sign up between the ages of 18 and maybe 21. That enfranchises them so they can vote and serve in public office. For every war and even military action, we calculate how many people need to be called up by the financial outlay the authorization costs and we draft that many voters at random.

If you don't want to get drafted or serve at all, that's great, but you won't get to vote.

Honestly, I think most people would opt out of voting and public service under those terms because, for most, voting and government is really not that important. They act like it's important to them because it's essentially free and is nothing more than an opportunity to virtue signal and maybe vote for more gibs.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I think if we are going to the draft, then we should give people the opportunity to sign up between the ages of 18 and maybe 21. That enfranchises them so they can vote and serve in public office. For every war and even military action, we calculate how many people need to be called up by the financial outlay the authorization costs and we draft that many voters at random.

If you don't want to get drafted or serve at all, that's great, but you won't get to vote.

Honestly, I think most people would opt out of voting and public service under those terms because, for most, voting and government is really not that important. They act like it's important to them because it's essentially free and is nothing more than an opportunity to virtue signal and maybe vote for more gibs.
Ah, the Heinlien Model............ No ?

That model has it's merits, but I think would lead to a revolt.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm

In my Draft, all jobs would have Physical and Mental qualifications. Your a fatty, no problem, we have jobs for fatties, but you aren't going to be a Wildland Firefighter. The standards will be published and tested. So you will have time to prepare.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I think if we are going to the draft, then we should give people the opportunity to sign up between the ages of 18 and maybe 21. That enfranchises them so they can vote and serve in public office. For every war and even military action, we calculate how many people need to be called up by the financial outlay the authorization costs and we draft that many voters at random.

Ah, the Heinlien Model............ No ?

That model has it's merits, but I think would lead to a revolt.

Well, no. Heinlein model is, for me, the ideal, but it's not really workable. I don't see how you get from universal enfranchisement to the Heinlein model without a intermediate period of collapse. All I am saying is that we could conceivably pass an amendment that mandates all American citizens can be enfranchised but they must sign up for the draft by their 21st birthday. Then mandate that every major military action requires some percentage of the electorate to be called up. Maybe even require them to train for a few weeks each year sort of like a lighter version of the Reserves.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm

I wouldn't want to see voting tied to which agency you served, but I could see higher education dollars or some other benefit.
PLATA O PLOMO

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Emperor M, I like the sound of this.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 pm

I think it's a fine idea in theory but not at all appropriate for the land o' the free