Re: Fitness Thread

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 pm

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:27 pm

This does not look hard, but wow

Combined with this

I'm sore. We also had two other exercise built around these two during the circuit training portion of today's workout. Then normal kickboxing after that
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 am

I am about to start step 8 of the Convict Conditioning push up progression (1/2 One-Arm Push Up).

Next month I will start the parallettes program, so I might have to put my push up progression training to the side for that. Not sure yet. But when I can do strict one-armed push ups, I will probably transition to more explosive training like your pylometric push-ups. I want strength and mobility first.

Also, all this animal movement exercising really wipes me out too. That stuff can be really taxing.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 am

This is where I want to take the calisthenics when I finish the basic progressions:

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:This is where I want to take the calisthenics when I finish the basic progressions:

I'm liking all of this stuff. I'm going to watch some more of these videos. A lot of this I feel like you have to work up to the coordination to do it successfully as much as the strength

We do tons of ab exercises. For pure brutality I like the reverse crunches or the modified bicycle crunches

The one I feel that builds strength in the core best is the McGill sit up. The trainers modify it and have you hold a weight at 90° with your arms

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm

To do explosive calisthenics, you really should gain some very high relative strength, mobility, and skill first. For instance, finish the progressions in Convict Conditioning 1 before doing the explosive calisthenics of Convict Conditioning 2. Otherwise, you could get injured pretty easily. It's not just your muscles either, but your nervous system and even your joints and tendons that need to be strengthened.

God knows I am learning that the hard way with all this floor work while I get started in Gymnastic. My wrists are aching all the time these days. They were weak as shit. My bicep tendons too need to get stronger.

As far as core exercises.. I don't do anything like crunches or situps. It's bad for your spine and it doesn't work your shit very well. The main two exercices I do are hanging leg raises and L-Sit holds. My abs are still on fire right now from the L-Sit training I was doing last Wednesday. On top of that I add planks between sets of various calisthenic exercises, especially push ups.

Hanging leg raise will also build your obliques, your shoulders, forearms, and grip strength. L-sit hold will build up your abs mostly, but also give you flexibility in your hamstrings and a little in your hip flexors.

Try this:

Those two exercises will get your core huge and very strong.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:35 pm

The hanging stuff is great. I have a latent shoulder injury from surfing that actually caused me to quit swimming as well. Hanging works that out great. Also band stretches with the rubber band

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Overhead work tends to hurt my bicep tendons lately. That's why I transitioned to using L-Sits as a substitute for hanging leg raises some days, or just split up the time between the two.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:This stuff looks like so much fun.

That's the results of finishing the two GMB Fitness parallettes courses. I think that's 12 weeks for each course, for 24 weeks.

Scots have weird taste in music.

Okay. I started the same program she used to do what is in that video. That final flow is about ten months to a year out from the start of the program. But, holy shit, my shoulders are killing me.

The ones that got me were these planks to dip transition. You start in a plank hold, swing your feet through and into a dip, then swing your feet back. I do L-Sit holds on dip bars all the time and don't hurt my shoulders.

I do know my front delts are lagging behind the strength in my chest and triceps, though, since my bench press working weight is too high for them, but going lower does jack shit for my chest or triceps. Maybe I just need to focus on shoulders for a while.