California Hate Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: California Hate Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Fife wrote:Nothing, really. I'm just sad about how CA is going straight down the shitter more than I feel any hatred about it.

You lack imagination, friend.

California can become a wondrous progressive beacon for the world, attracting all the forward-thinking and enlightened folks from around the country.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 07, 2017 8:31 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun May 07, 2017 9:05 am

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 07, 2017 9:43 am

“I didn’t become a software engineer to be trying to make ends meet,” said a Twitter employee in his early 40s who earns a base salary of $160,000. It is, he added, a “pretty bad” income for raising a family in the Bay Area.

“We make over $1m between us, but we can’t afford a house,” said a woman in her 50s who works in digital marketing for a major telecoms corporation, while her partner works as an engineer at a digital media company. “This is part of where the American dream is not working out here.”

Another tech worker feeling excluded from the real estate market was 41-year-old Michael, who works at a networking firm in Silicon Valley and last year earned $700,000. Sick of his 22-mile commute to work, which can sometimes take up to two and half hours, he explored buying a property nearer work. Although he said his salary means he can afford to live a decent life, he finds the cost of living, combined with the terrible commute, unpalatable.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... eling-poor

In 2015, according to SmartAsset.com, the cost of living there was "62.6% higher than the U.S. average." In 2016, the same site found that you'd need to make at least $216,129 a year to afford the rent on an average two-bedroom apartment.

The article recounts the frustrations of tech workers making between $100,000 and $700,000 a year and yet finding themselves rent-burdened, unable to save and commuting for hours each day. In one colorful example, an Apple employee lived until recently in a garage in Santa Cruz, using a bucket as a toilet.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/03/facebook ... -help.html

THE RICH FIRST INVESTED IN SILICON VALLEY HOUSING NOW THEY'RE GETTING THEIR MONEY BACK MANYFOLD BY FORCING THEIR SLAVES TO BUY THEM

Modern slavery 101

PPPFFFTTTTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahah

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:40 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
“I didn’t become a software engineer to be trying to make ends meet,” said a Twitter employee in his early 40s who earns a base salary of $160,000. It is, he added, a “pretty bad” income for raising a family in the Bay Area.

“We make over $1m between us, but we can’t afford a house,” said a woman in her 50s who works in digital marketing for a major telecoms corporation, while her partner works as an engineer at a digital media company. “This is part of where the American dream is not working out here.”

Another tech worker feeling excluded from the real estate market was 41-year-old Michael, who works at a networking firm in Silicon Valley and last year earned $700,000. Sick of his 22-mile commute to work, which can sometimes take up to two and half hours, he explored buying a property nearer work. Although he said his salary means he can afford to live a decent life, he finds the cost of living, combined with the terrible commute, unpalatable.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... eling-poor

In 2015, according to SmartAsset.com, the cost of living there was "62.6% higher than the U.S. average." In 2016, the same site found that you'd need to make at least $216,129 a year to afford the rent on an average two-bedroom apartment.

The article recounts the frustrations of tech workers making between $100,000 and $700,000 a year and yet finding themselves rent-burdened, unable to save and commuting for hours each day. In one colorful example, an Apple employee lived until recently in a garage in Santa Cruz, using a bucket as a toilet.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/03/facebook ... -help.html

THE RICH FIRST INVESTED IN SILICON VALLEY HOUSING NOW THEY'RE GETTING THEIR MONEY BACK MANYFOLD BY FORCING THEIR SLAVES TO BUY THEM

Modern slavery 101

PPPFFFTTTTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahah
No argument from me.

My parents used to be able to rent an entire house in San Jose, with front and backyard from the combinded pay of a gas station attendant, and a store clerk.

That was fifty years ago though.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Gtfo of that stupid state. It's headed straight off a cliff.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun May 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Supply and demand...

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 07, 2017 4:43 pm

de officiis wrote:Supply and demand...

Typhoon loses four out of five times against the Spitfire.

Would be awesome if Brexit results in a true British fifth generation fighter. I am pretty sure they can do it too.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun May 07, 2017 6:25 pm

A few years ago people brought up the idea of "the big one" hitting California. I mean it was weird because when I was growing up in the 1990s, safety on the East Coast, that there was going to be a massive earthquake that was going to "break" California and/or sink part of it into the ocean. Now, when I went to college, they were saying that was total bullshit and now it seems like they are saying that it was possible for that to happen. So, here is a video on it, that is only a few years old:

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Penner wrote:A few years ago people brought up the idea of "the big one" hitting California. I mean it was weird because when I was growing up in the 1990s, safety on the East Coast, that there was going to be a massive earthquake that was going to "break" California and/or sink part of it into the ocean. Now, when I went to college, they were saying that was total bullshit and now it seems like they are saying that it was possible for that to happen. So, here is a video on it, that is only a few years old:

Statistically we are overdue for a couple of 8.0ish earthquakes, which would seriously suck, no mistake. But the building code, retrofitting, and decades of planning we should be fine. However the areas around the New Madrid fault and the Cascade induction zone...if want some nightmare fuel google them.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.