California Hate Thread

Penner

Re: California Hate Thread

Post by Penner » Mon May 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Here is an old article on why people who have lived in LA hate LA:

I
recently moved from London to Los Angeles. Despite the fact that LA is the undisputed worst place in the entire world, I've been trying super hard to like it. Mainly because I like being that guy who likes the thing everyone else hates just to annoy people (which reminds me, people I know in real life: I never really liked Skrillex or Twilight. You should've seen your faces though).
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/reas ... place-ever

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 pm

There is a book called City of Quartz by Mike Davis that discusses the history of Los Angeles. It is absolutely fascinating.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 01, 2017 6:47 pm

recently moved from London to Los Angeles. Despite the fact that LA is the undisputed worst place in the entire world, I've been trying super hard to like it.
Probably never enlisted.

The British troops I met would fall on the ground laughing at that statement. British troops are great people. Their countrymen.. not so sure.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm

The only redeeming quality is the helicopters. People say it's the weather but it's not. There is only so much fair blue skies and mild socal weather you can take before you start to rage internally over a desire for a good clean Anglo Saxon storm to wash it all away.

The helicopters are haunting though. People told me they have gotten helicopter noise withdrawals when they left LA and I believe it. To this day my spirits pick up when I hear one. A happy thrumming sound that lets you know you're not alone and there is order in the universe.

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 pm

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Penner wrote:People in LA tend to be (and portrayed as) rude and shallow. I would say at least New Yorkers aren't shallow, like people in LA. Everything in LA is fake as well.
Yes, LA is full of Beautiful Pod People. It is not like the rest of the state.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Penner wrote:
And just what is it with the helicopters? It's like there's been an invasion and the place is occupied. Is the LAPD an army?

The only other time I saw so many helicopters was in San Salvador when I visited El Salvador for a two weeks. But then there was a real war going on. And I was nowhere near the fighting but plenty of those helicopters.

Creepy as Hell.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm

They just fly around aimlessly right?

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
Penner wrote:People in LA tend to be (and portrayed as) rude and shallow. I would say at least New Yorkers aren't shallow, like people in LA. Everything in LA is fake as well.
Yes, LA is full of Beautiful Pod People. It is not like the rest of the state.
I have also heard a lot of bs weird hippie shit is believed and peddled there.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 01, 2017 8:35 pm

California does have some cool scenery and forests. From a nature standpoint, its one of the most beautiful states. I've always wanted to see Big Sur and Yosemite.
Shikata ga nai