Best Films of 2016/2017

Okeefenokee

Re: Best Films of 2016/2017

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:00 am

GloryofGreece wrote:Arrival was original and inspiring in a lot of ways. Great message overall. Linguistics is fascinating stuff really.

I've probably only seen 2-3 musicals before but I'm going to see La La Land soon. It won a slew of awards but of course was beat out for best picture by Moonlight (*main character is an urban gay black dude)...interesting scene at the Oscars ceremony declaring the wrong winner.
Arrival had a recycled message that has been done a hundred times.

There are only two alien movies.
  • 1. Aliens show up and start killing us. (realistic)
    2. Aliens show up and humans attack them for no reason when they're only here to be friends. (unrealistic)
The purpose of number 2 is to perpetually remind everyone that mankind was never great, and it would be better for the enlightened ones to arrive and educate us. I gave Arrival a shot, knowing full well what it was going to be, and it was exactly what I said it would be.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Arrival was original and inspiring in a lot of ways. Great message overall. Linguistics is fascinating stuff really.

I've probably only seen 2-3 musicals before but I'm going to see La La Land soon. It won a slew of awards but of course was beat out for best picture by Moonlight (*main character is an urban gay black dude)...interesting scene at the Oscars ceremony declaring the wrong winner.

2. Aliens show up and humans attack them for no reason when they're only here to be friends. (unrealistic)
The purpose of number 2 is to perpetually remind everyone that mankind was never great, and it would be better for the enlightened ones to arrive and educate us. I gave Arrival a shot, knowing full well what it was going to be, and it was exactly what I said it would be.
What about ET and Close Encounters? Or Contact?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:45 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

ET was definitely a Type 1 alien movie. This would have been revealed in the sequel, but focus groups found it to be too terrifying.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm

lol @ killer ET's

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Arrival was original and inspiring in a lot of ways. Great message overall.
I'm with her.
Stronger together.
We need someone who'll unite us, not divide us.
I just finished watching it (online, for free.) There's only one person in the whole world who can reach out to the aliens and the Chinese, and she happens to be a beautiful, young woman with a tragic past... but she is brave enough, smart enough, and strong enough, to overcome a world ruled by cowardly, stupid, and weak men--because she can see the future.
:goteam:
Where are we supposed to go all united?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Arrival was original and inspiring in a lot of ways. Great message overall.
I'm with her.
Stronger together.
I just finished watching it (online, for free.) There's only one person in the whole world who can reach out to the aliens and the Chinese, and she happens to be a beautiful, young woman with a tragic past... but she is brave enough, smart enough, and strong enough, to overcome a world ruled by cowardly, stupid, and weak men--because she can see the future.
Don't you remember .08333... and the twelve ships? The world had to unite to solve the "universal language."
Globalism.
Diversity.
:dance:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: I'm with her.
Stronger together.
Don't you remember .08333... and the twelve ships? The world had to unite to solve the "universal language."
Globalism.
Diversity.
:dance:
Emptiness, no principles. :violin:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
I'm with her.
Stronger together.

So the movie is more AIDS?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:So the movie is more AIDS?
I wouldn't call it full-blown, but there's only one character--and only she can save us from ourselves.
Give it a watch:
http://www.zmovie.se/movies/view/arrival-2016

VIDZI always works for me.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Mercury wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

ET was definitely a Type 1 alien movie. This would have been revealed in the sequel, but focus groups found it to be too terrifying.
Lucas replaced all of the Feds with shotguns to walkie-talkies so we were doom to start with.