Best Films of 2016/2017

Speaker to Animals

Re: Best Films of 2016/2017

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 am

I guess.. if you didn't read the novel, you wouldn't necessarily grasp the idea that the industrialists in both films are not strictly villains. They are trying to save humanity. The question is about how to do that.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:47 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I guess.. if you didn't read the novel, you wouldn't necessarily grasp the idea that the industrialists in both films are not strictly villains. They are trying to save humanity. The question is about how to do that.
I have read several of Dicks novel, but I will confess that Ive never read do Androids dream of electric sheep. The thing is, most adaptions to Dicks novels dont have the same feel, because much of the text is internal monologues and almost stream of consciousness. The man in the high castle is nothing like the show. A scanner Darkly is pretty close to the movie though. I am a huge PKD fan, and for xmas a few years back someone got me a collection of his novels. I need to read androids now. Hes a one of a kind writer.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 am

Mudbound

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396589/

I don't know what to think of this film really. It depicts 1940s Mississippi and does a good job of showing two families lives around and during WWII. Is ostensibly about two combat veterans "friendship" but there are very few scenes between the two that really show much connection, or actual friendship so what happens at the end doesn't really fit with the narrative beforehand.

Of course the white family is mostly dysfunctional, racist, privileged, and sinful while the black family is hardworking, dutiful, cheerful, and altruistic.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:06 am

GloryofGreece wrote:Mudbound

I don't know what to think of this film really. It depicts 1940s Mississippi and does a good job of showing two families lives around and during WWII. Is ostensibly about two combat veterans "friendship" but there are very few scenes between the two that really show much connection, or actual friendship so what happens at the end doesn't really fit with the narrative beforehand.

Of course the white family is mostly dysfunctional, racist, privileged, and sinful while the black family is hardworking, dutiful, cheerful, and altruistic.
What you’ve described here does not sound like a good movie. See thread title. :lol:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:07 am

What we really need are more far leftist films that push the cultural marxist narrative. Oh, look.. :violin:

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

What you’ve described here does not sound like a good movie. See thread title. :lol:
That is why I wanted to discuss it. Because it is being considered seriously for an Oscar and right now being lauded as a great period piece. I wanted to see if anyone has seen it since its on fucking Netflix.

The cat is quick to pounce on anything but damn does it not often think things through.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

That is why I wanted to discuss it. Because it is being considered seriously for an Oscar and right now being lauded as a great period piece. I wanted to see if anyone has seen it since its on fucking Netflix.

The cat is quick to pounce on anything but damn does it not often think things through.
It is really sad that GloryofGreece is incapable of understanding history or good films. He was unable to appreciate the symbolism and motifs of Mudbound and failed to understand why it is such a cultural landmark. I guess I'm going to have to explain that to him as well. Greece it is not my job to culture you and make you a better man. Eventually, you are going to have to learn how to do that yourself.
Shikata ga nai