Best Films of 2016/2017

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Best Films of 2016/2017

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:43 am

GloryofGreece wrote:Guess not too many posters watch movies that much. More into tv shows? I'd think most of you Alt-Right or Libertarian guys would really dig a movie like Hell or High Water? Guess not.
I watch probably 5-6 shows on tv anymore. I get 95% of my entertainment from video games or youtube.

Assuming that I'm not some crazy outlier, I'd say that the communal 'tv discussion' experience may be dying out.. Curious how that will impact society, without much water-cooler discussion in the future.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Guess not too many posters watch movies that much. More into tv shows? I'd think most of you Alt-Right or Libertarian guys would really dig a movie like Hell or High Water? Guess not.
I watch a lot of movies. I just rarely think about which one was the best.

Dand

Post by Dand » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:01 pm

My favorites were Hell or High Water, The Witch, Hacksaw Ridge, Arrival, and The Revenant. It was a pretty good year and I went to more than I did last year.

I still want to see Silence and Hail Ceasar.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I watch probably 5-6 shows on tv anymore. I get 95% of my entertainment from video games or youtube.

Assuming that I'm not some crazy outlier, I'd say that the communal 'tv discussion' experience may be dying out.. Curious how that will impact society, without much water-cooler discussion in the future.
Game of Thrones is pretty common water-cooler discussion and sometimes Netflix manages to get critical mass of viewers. I've never watched Stranger Things or Making a Murderer but both seemed very popular and just as successful as broadcast television shows.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Dand wrote:My favorites were Hell or High Water, The Witch, Hacksaw Ridge, Arrival, and The Revenant. It was a pretty good year and I went to more than I did last year.

I still want to see Silence and Hail Ceasar.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Game of Thrones is pretty common water-cooler discussion and sometimes Netflix manages to get critical mass of viewers. I've never watched Stranger Things or Making a Murderer but both seemed very popular and just as successful as broadcast television shows.
True fact, and I'm not arguing that it's already gone and done. But I think the trend is there, and will continue.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Dand

Post by Dand » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm

All media has been fragmentized and I don't think anything can be as ubiquitous as it could back when there were fewer outlets.

Video games are becoming more and more acceptable too. People will talk more about those over time and I guess eventually they'll be talking about what simulations they've been using. :ugeek:

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:30 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Only seen Rogue One, but damn it was good.
I have to say I thought it was alright. Personally, I would enjoy the rebels more if they were more willing to go with the original plan instead of our heroes "going rogue" and taking the Imperial base by themselves (or at least have more of a plan instead, "we shall come at the very last minute just to make sure they were able to deliver the plans to the rebel alliance."

Although, seeing the android character dying was sad and had to be the saddest moment in the whole film.

The fights scenes were good but I also liked seeing how each of the individual characters died but using the Death Star on those two planets- doesn't that violate what happen in A New Hope? Because I always thought that was the first time that they "tested" out the Death Star on the destruction of Alderaan (yes, I know that this is a really nerdy question but I haven't seen, this very specific question, being asked anywhere else and I would like to know)?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Penner wrote:
I have to say I thought it was alright. Personally, I would enjoy the rebels more if they were more willing to go with the original plan instead of our heroes "going rogue" and taking the Imperial base by themselves (or at least have more of a plan instead, "we shall come at the very last minute just to make sure they were able to deliver the plans to the rebel alliance."

Although, seeing the android character dying was sad and had to be the saddest moment in the whole film.

The fights scenes were good but I also liked seeing how each of the individual characters died but using the Death Star on those two planets- doesn't that violate what happen in A New Hope? Because I always thought that was the first time that they "tested" out the Death Star on the destruction of Alderaan (yes, I know that this is a really nerdy question but I haven't seen, this very specific question, being asked anywhere else and I would like to know)?
New Hope was the first full-power test. In Rogue One, they just used it as at the level of a nuclear weapon. One that creates oddly slow-moving explosions.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:50 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:

New Hope was the first full-power test. In Rogue One, they just used it as at the level of a nuclear weapon. One that creates oddly slow-moving explosions.

But either way, it can destroy a planet?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:

No planets were destroyed in the making of Rogue One. Only small areas were slow-motion-earthquaked.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

No planets were destroyed in the making of Rogue One. Only small areas were slow-motion-earthquaked.
But those mushroom clouds on both the city and the one on the beach, at the end? Didn't it show it slowly but certainly destroying/blowing up both planets?