Best Films of 2016/2017

heydaralon

Re: Best Films of 2016/2017

Post by heydaralon » Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Star Wars was my shit when I was in elementary and middle school, but I have become jaded to the whole thing now. At first I went through the stages of denial where I thought it was just the prequels, but then I watched the old ones again and I came to the realization that these are kids movies. They are not particularly well-made. That is fine, because kids do love them. I certainly did. It troubles me when I see adults go apeshit about star wars though. Maybe if I had kids I would get more excited idk. I went to see The Force Awakens with my gf and I was pretty amped up when Hannah's boyfriend killed Han Solo. I wish they got rid of Luke, because Hamil never was much of an actor.
Of course they're kids movies. Any action/western/sci-fi is. But I get much better feels from it than any other, except maybe Star Trek (prior to JJ Abrams fuck that cunt)

If I want to think, I'll watch a documentary.
To each his own. If you have fond memories of the old star wars movies, I would advise you not to watch them again. I did, and it ruined them forever. They are quite hammy and full of abhorrent puppets and terrible George Lucas ideas. Once they gave him even more control you really see the downward spiral take place in the prequels. He nearly did this to the original trilogy, but Harrison Ford and other actors stood up to him and told him he sucked. Ford apparently said something like "You can write this shit, but I'm not gonna say it."

I'm with you on the new Star Trek movies. They are back alley partial birth abortions. Not that I liked the old ones either though.

I watch some documentaries, though I have become leery of them. Most documentary filmmakers play pretty fast and loose with the facts and film is the perfect medium for manipulating viewers. What drives me nuts is when people my age will watch a Vice documentary on some third world country or corporation, or a food documentary on Monsanto and suddenly they become experts who pontificate. Kony 2012 was probably the best example of this. I am not accusing you of this. Even though we disagree about shit, you are well informed about most of the things you post on here. But the majority of people in their 20s just watch John Oliver or some Ted Talk and suddenly they know how to fix everything. This is why I think print is a far tool for learning, because it has more range and nuance than you can put in a 90 minute movie. The documentaries I enjoy are true crime ones like The Imposter, The Jynx, or some of those weird Errol Morris and Werner Herzog interviews. Generally, the best documentaries are ones where you know less leaving than going in.

What is your favorite documentary?
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 am

Favorite doc has to be Cosmos (both of them), but there are many many others. Food Inc is a classic, The Cove, and Supersize Me stand out. Inside Job for sheer rage factor, and Smartest Guys in the Room as well.

I watch the original trilogy every year or so. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat May 20, 2017 6:17 am

heydaralon wrote:Star Wars was my shit when I was in elementary and middle school, but I have become jaded to the whole thing now. At first I went through the stages of denial where I thought it was just the prequels, but then I watched the old ones again and I came to the realization that these are kids movies. They are not particularly well-made. That is fine, because kids do love them. I certainly did. It troubles me when I see adults go apeshit about star wars though. Maybe if I had kids I would get more excited idk. I went to see The Force Awakens with my gf and I was pretty amped up when Hannah's boyfriend killed Han Solo. I wish they got rid of Luke, because Hamil never was much of an actor.
They are all ages movies.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Of course they're kids movies. Any action/western/sci-fi is. But I get much better feels from it than any other, except maybe Star Trek (prior to JJ Abrams fuck that cunt)

If I want to think, I'll watch a documentary.
Pretty good attitude but for me even films make me think and sometimes they're even still really entertaining to. I think people just need to go into most movies with as little expectations as possible. Previews are too long, tell too much, and CGI has spoiled us.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun May 21, 2017 9:45 pm

I just saw Alien Covenant. It fucking owned. I loved Prometheus, but Alien Covenant was even better. It was the Prometheus sequel and it is a sequel that is better than the original. I liked it more than Alien and Aliens, and I loved those movies. Ridley Scott hit it out of the park. I saw the twists coming but they were still good. I have an erection just thinking about that movie. Fuck Guardians of the Faggotry and that Superhero shit. This movie proved that CGI movies can be good and not be total shitfests like superhero movies.
Shikata ga nai

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 am

I'm not going to lie, I'm excited about Cars 3

It looks like a return to the greatness of the first one, as opposed to the 100%-for-merchandise-sales-Cars 2
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 am

heydaralon wrote:I just saw Alien Covenant. It fucking owned. I loved Prometheus, but Alien Covenant was even better. It was the Prometheus sequel and it is a sequel that is better than the original. I liked it more than Alien and Aliens, and I loved those movies. Ridley Scott hit it out of the park. I saw the twists coming but they were still good. I have an erection just thinking about that movie. Fuck Guardians of the Faggotry and that Superhero shit. This movie proved that CGI movies can be good and not be total shitfests like superhero movies.
Trust me, Covenant was very gay in a lot of ways.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I just saw Alien Covenant. It fucking owned. I loved Prometheus, but Alien Covenant was even better. It was the Prometheus sequel and it is a sequel that is better than the original. I liked it more than Alien and Aliens, and I loved those movies. Ridley Scott hit it out of the park. I saw the twists coming but they were still good. I have an erection just thinking about that movie. Fuck Guardians of the Faggotry and that Superhero shit. This movie proved that CGI movies can be good and not be total shitfests like superhero movies.

I liked it. There was a brief homoerotic scene between the robots, but they didn't actual fuck each other in the ass or anything like that. It was a good movie.
Shikata ga nai

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 am

heydaralon wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:

I liked it. There was a brief homoerotic scene between the robots, but they didn't actual fuck each other in the ass or anything like that. It was a good movie.
But the gel inside of them looked a lot like semen that got sprayed on their faces plenty.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Trust me, Covenant was very gay in a lot of ways.

But the gel inside of them looked a lot like semen that got sprayed on their faces plenty.
lol there has always been dick references in the Alien films. The Alien's head is shaped like a dick. The artist H R Giger admitted this was intentional. The facehugger looks like a vagina and the androids blood looks like semen etc. Still a great goddamn movie.
Shikata ga nai